|The Raven Man|
The Raven Man is a mysterious figure, who haunts Liliana Vess. He first appeared to her on Dominaria, where he claimed to be a supporter of her father. He is able to transform into a flock of ravens. Because he appeared on several planes, Liliana suspected he is a planeswalker. Because the Raven Man always knew where Liliana had been and what she had been doing there. Liliana later began to suspect that he may in fact be incorporeal, an affliction of her own mind, a curse or a mental parasite.
When Liliana's brother Josu was poisoned by her father's enemies, the Raven Man offered his assistance, though he warned that her family would not want her to use his cure. Liliana returned to the castle and despite the warnings of Lady Ana, she used the cure. Truly, it cured Josu of his affliction, but only at the cost of driving him insane and poisoning him anew.
When Jace Beleren, under the influence of the Cryptoliths on Innistrad, tried to mentally assault Liliana in her mansion, the Raven Man protected her and tried to convince her to kill him. Later, he repeatedly tried to contact Liliana to convince her to flee from Emrakul's onslaught. In both cases, she defied him and refused to listen to his arguments, suspecting that nothing good would come from acting on his advice.
Despite this, he later reappeared to her on Amonkhet, revealing that he had been keeping tabs on her and even saved her life again by taking control over the Chain Veil. While he tolerated her affiliation with the Gatewatch to gain useful servants, he warned her to not become too attached to them and focus on what really mattered. Back on Dominaria, he plagued Lili again, taunting her but never giving answers. Here she began to suspect that he had tortured her in her youth to ignite her spark.
- Jenna Helland, Brady Dommermuth et al.. (June 17, 2010.) “The Raven's Eye, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt. (June 17, 2015.) “Liliana's Origin: The Fourth Pact”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt. (July 29, 2015.) “Unkindness of Ravens”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (April 19, 2017.) “Servants”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt. (July 2, 2014.) “Veil of Deceit”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges. (April 20, 2016.) “Liliana's Indignation”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Ken Troop. (July 27, 2016.) “The Promised End”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Martha Wells. (March 22, 2018.) “Return to Dominaria: Episode 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.