(Khans of Tarkir)
|Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged|
Description[edit | edit source]
The Jeskai Way is a clan of martial artists, mystics and monks. The clan focuses on strategy over strength, planning battles against the other clans from their remote monasteries in misty mountain lakes. The basis of the Jeskai culture are isolated mountain strongholds, each with its own mystical styles and schools of thought. The prime stronghold is Sage-Eye Stronghold. The Jeskai believe that they alone understand the true nature of reality. As taught by Ugin, they speak of six fires that light the way to Enlightenment. These are the white soulfire, the red bloodfire, the blue mistfire, the black deathfire and the green vitalfire. While vitalfire and deathfire are taboo for the Jeskai Way, mastering the other three opens the way to the sixth fire: the colorless ghostfire.
New Timeline[edit | edit source]
In Tarkir's altered timeline, the ancient Jeskai khan Shu Yun attempted a last ditch effort at survival by summoning the four other khans of Tarkir to the stronghold, where they would devise a strategy to destroy the dragons. Unbeknownst to the other leaders, the Sultai khan Tasigur had betrayed them to the broods of Silumgar and Ojutai. The ensuing battle ended with the utter subjugation of the Jeskai, the murder of Shu Yun, the execution of all past dragon-slayers (the ghostfire warriors), and destruction of all Jeskai historical records. However, Shu Yun's personal scroll of the day's events survived, hidden away from the dragon.
The Jeskai were reorganized into a new Clan headed by Ojutai and his brood, with the dragons acting as teachers to the humanoids.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Jeskai cards feature a mechanic that keeps opponents second-guessing and unsure of what you are planning. This is Prowess, a triggered keyword that grants certain creatures +1/+1 until end of turn for each non-creature spell its controller casts.
Khans[edit | edit source]
Both timelines[edit | edit source]
Old timeline[edit | edit source]
Creature types[edit | edit source]
Classes[edit | edit source]
Relationship with the dragons[edit | edit source]
The Jeskai revered the feathered, cold-loving brood of Ojutai, who best epitomized the aspect of cunning. Their presence was the reason the old Jeskai carved mountain fortresses for protection. Specially trained monks maintained enchanted dragon bells and sound a warning when enemies approach. In battle against the dragons, the Jeskai valued strategy, using flexible weapons that entangle and immobilize their enemies. A favored tactic was to ensnare dragons with chains and weighted ropes, and then finish them off with hurled spears. The most daring warriors ascended the ropes to engage the dragons in close combat. Having studied dragon anatomy, these monks attacked clusters of nerves that allowed them to incapitate even the largest dragons.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast Twitter (@wizards_magic) (July 26, 2014). "The Jeskai admire the cunning of dragons"
- Wizards of the Coast Twitter (@wizards_magic) (July 26, 2014). "Jeskai are blue red white aligned!"
- Mark Rosewater (July 26, 2014). "Can you tell us about which color each clan is focused on?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (YouTube) (August 1, 2014). "Magic panel at San Diego Comic Con 2014"
- Wizards of the Coast. (2014.) Khans of Tarkir infopage
- Magic Creative Team (September 3, 2014). "Planeswalker's Guide to Khans of Tarkir, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kate Elliott (August 15, 2018). "Chronicle of Bolas: The Unwritten Now". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kelly Digges (February 18, 2015). "Khanfall". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (August 18, 2014). "Duel Decks: Speed vs. Cunning". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team (January 7, 2015). "Planeswalker's Guide to Fate Reforged". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text of Pressure Point
- Wizards of the Coast (November 7, 2014). "PAX Australia Magic Panel". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.