Guilds of Ravnica/Mythic Edition
|Guilds of Ravnica|
|Symbol description||Planeswalker symbol in front of a shield|
|Release date||October 3, 2018|
|Set size||24 Guilds of Ravnica boosters including the 8 Masterpieces|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Guilds of Ravnica Mythic Edition is a special Guilds of Ravnica draft-sized booster box, exclusively sold in the U.S and Canada. This experimental product was available on the Hasbro webshop, only on October 3 for $249.99.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Mythic Edition includes 24 Guilds of Ravnica boosters. Eight of these booster are clearly marked as "Masterpiece Boosters" and contain one of eight foil Masterpieces in addition to their normal rare/mythic rare card.
Each unit contains all 8 Masterpiece cards:
- Elspeth, Knight-Errant
- Liliana, the Last Hope
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
- Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
- Ral, Izzet Viceroy
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
- Vraska, Golgari Queen
The Masterpieces have their own own expansion code (MED), which is identical to the code for Masters Edition. They also have their own expansion symbol, featuring the planeswalker symbol on a mythic-colored background.
Tokens and emblems[edit | edit source]
- 1/1 Soldier creature, with Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, but used for Elspeth, Knight-Errant
- 2/2 Zombie creature, with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, but used for Liliana, the Last Hope
- 1/1 Construct artifact creature with defender, for Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
- Emblem for Elspeth, Knight-Errant
- Emblem for Liliana, the Last Hope
- Emblem for Ral, Izzet Viceroy
- Emblem for Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
- Emblem for Vraska, Golgari Queen
Reception[edit | edit source]
Wizards of the Coast received negative feedback from some of the player base about the price range, the functioning of the Hasbro site on sale date, and the lack of international shipping. Before the controversy began, their response was that it was an experiment to see if it was a style of product that collectors would be interested in. They supplied a limited amount of this product to ChannelFireball Events for sale at Grand Prix, which also sold out very quickly.
A month after the release, Wizards of the Coast sent out an apology letter due to the technical issues with completing transactions on the website.
References[edit | edit source]
- Printed on the card frame.
- Magic: The Gathering Twitter
- Blake Rasmussen (September 4, 2018). "Guilds of Ravnica Packaging, Promos, and More". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering Twitter
- GRN: Mythic Edition Unsealing: Masterpieces/tokens/emblems spoilers
- Mark Rosewater (September 05, 2018). "Are you just going to ignore the massive, negative feedback that the Planeswalker Masterpieces are receiving?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 06, 2018). "Isn’t it a little disingenuous to say that the test of whether people want things like the Masterpiece Planeswalker set is if it sells?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (September 21, 2018). "Experimentation". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.