Old timeline[edit | edit source]
As Khan Zurgo Helmsmasher, he had a vendetta against Sarkhan Vol who, as a Mardu general, sacrificed all his men when he ascended as a planeswalker. When he learned that the former had returned to Tarkir and had been seen in Temur lands, Zurgo mobilized the horde to hunt Sarkhan down. When he pushed into the hostile territory and the Temur used their superior knowledge of the area to give the Mardu heavy losses, more and more of his warriors came to doubt him and his leadership qualities. Zurgo was able to kill the first challenger to his rank, but the rest of the horde deserted him afterward under the command of his former second, Varuk. Left alone, Zurgo realized that he would only find reacceptance into the clan when he killed Sarkhan. He reached Ugin's Nexus and killed Narset, but Sarkhan was able to flee into the past.
New timeline[edit | edit source]
In the new timeline, he rings the bell signaling the other dragons and has no memory of Sarkhan Vol ever existing. He is also reduced to being frequently threatened and harassed by the dragons, much to the shock of even planeswalkers such as Sarkhan.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast Twitter (@wizards_magic) (July 26, 2014). "The Mardu's Khan is Zorgo Helmsmasher"
- Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes (August 27, 2014). "The Madness of Sarkhan". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Tom LaPille (November 26, 2014). "Victory". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes (December 10, 2014). "Journey to the Nexus". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kimberly J. Kreines (February 25, 2015). "A Tarkir of Dragons". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.