Zubera is creature type unique to the Kamigawa block. A Zubera is the faceless kami of a human who has been pulled into the spirit world. Zubera are said to attack solitary travelers in order to steal their faces. In fact, Zubera is essentially a species of Spirits. No Zubera is printed without the Spirit type.
Kamigawa[edit | edit source]
The type first surfaced as a cycle in the set Champions of Kamigawa. Each of these common 1/2 creatures costs M and has a triggered ability when it goes to the graveyard that grows with each Zubera put into a graveyard from play that turn. There's one for each color:
- Silent-Chant Zubera ()
- Floating-Dream Zubera ()
- Ashen-Skin Zubera ()
- Ember-Fist Zubera ()
- Dripping-Tongue Zubera ()
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zubera is a corruption of Noppera-bō, the term for the Japanese yokai that inspired these creatures.
- The creative team made Zubera an additional creature type (alongside Spirit) so that they could key off of type when they died.
- A giant Dripping-Tongue Zubera is depicted in Unchecked Growth.
- The names of the Zubera don't link directly to the Shrines (like the Myojin do), but the connection still comes through with their abilities.
- The Zubera were made as a Kindle variant that went on creatures and only counted other Zubera that died the same turn as it did.