|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Symbol description||a hedron from above, opened up.|
|Design||Mark Rosewater (lead)|
|Release date||September 25, 2020|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
According to Mark Rosewater "we return to a Zendikar without Eldrazi and revisit the adventure world players fell in love with." It is a "land set" in the sense of the sets of the first Zendikar block. Like all previous Zendikar sets, Zendikar Rising features full-art basic lands. Starting with Zendikar Rising, the mythic rares are changing their rate of drop. In the past, 1 in every 8 rares was a mythic rare. That is changed so that 1 in every 7.4 rares will be a mythic rare.
Zendikar Rising contains 280 cards () and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. A unique Buy-a-Box promotional card is also considered to be part of the set. Cards with an alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. The Showcase cards are connected to TBA. They feature a TBA style. The set features no new planeswalkers. The returning planeswalkers are Jace, Nissa, and Nahiri.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Zendikar is a dangerous world of lethal risks where brave adventurers delve into ancient ruins in search of priceless rewards. The storyline features no Eldrazi but we will see the ruin they have caused. From the perspective of its inhabitants, it is a hostile place that seems to be actively trying to kill the creatures that have the audacity to live there. The danger is unrelenting: precarious terrain, cunning predators, natural disasters on a massive scale, and the Roil — the unpredictable ripples of change that wash through the land — all present a constant challenge to survival.
The cards that represent the Story Spotlights in Zendikar Rising are:
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Zendikar Rising is sold in regular 16-card Draft Boosters (one card being a marketing card), mono-colored Theme Boosters, Collector Boosters, the Zendikar Rising bundle and two Commander decks. A special Gift Edition of the Bundle will release in November 2020. The Draft Boosters feature artwork from Jace, Nahiri and Nissa. The Theme Boosters feature art from TBA (), TBA (), TBA (), TBA (), and TBA (). The Collector Boosters feature art of Omnath. The Set Boosters feature art from TBA.
Events[edit | edit source]
- Magic Online and MTG Arena release: September 17.
- Tabletop Prerelease: September 18–24.
- Launch party (Outside US & LATAM only): September 26–27.
- Friday Night Magic (Outside US & LATAM only): September 25–January 15.
- Commander Nights (Outside US & LATAM only): September 28–January 14. A weekly Commander league with rotating rules and achievement-based prizes.
Set Boosters[edit | edit source]
Zendikar Rising introduces Set Boosters. These are targeted to players that are not interested in Draft or Limited, and sell for a slightly higher price than Draft Boosters. Each a pack comes with fourteen objects, twelve of which are Magic cards. They contain as much fun and exciting cards as possible.
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare of Zendikar Rising.
- Other events: cards from the Zendikar Rising universal promo pack.
- The seasonal dark-frame promos are: TBA
- Buy-a-Box: foil TBA
- Bundle promo: foil alternate art TBA
Tokens/emblems/markers[edit | edit source]
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
A new mechanic in Zendikar Rising takes a popular theme that players like and twists it in a new way. There are two returning mechanics, both of which have appeared in a Zendikar set before.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- WPN Product info
- Magic Announcement Stream (Video). Magic: the Gathering. YouTube (September 4, 2019).
- Mark Rosewater (June 25, 2020). "Having trouble keeping track of which new and awesome products are launching when.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- WPN (July 13, 2020). "Zendikar Rising: All the Dates & Info You Need". Wizards Play Network.
- Mark Rosewater (September 04, 2019). "I missed the announcement of the sets for next year.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Magic: The Gathering Panel with Mark Rosewater | Comic-Con@Home 2020 (Video). YouTube.
- Mark Rosewater (July 25, 2020). "Set Boosters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (October 30, 2019). "Big Things Are Coming for Commander in 2020". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.