|Rules||There may be only one World permanent on the battlefield.|
11.5% 19.2% 23.1% 23.1% 19.2% 3.8%
World is a supertype that is only found on enchantments. All existing cards with this supertype were printed as being Enchant World cards (which despite the "Enchant" typeline, were global enchantments and not local enchantments). World enchantments have been retired for many years.
Description[edit | edit source]
World enchantments were last seen in Visions. The plane cards introduced by the Planechase game variant have a similar functionality. Note that legendary enchantments, which also have some of the same kind of gameplay as world enchantments, appeared in Kamigawa block. A World enchantment was included on a test card from the Mystery Booster set (Problematic Volcano)
Change[edit | edit source]
The world supertype was dropped mostly because it didn’t add much gameplay value to balance the rules complexity it added. It is usually a drawback to have your enchantments have a built-in destruction clause, and most of what world enchantments were designed to accomplish could be realized with a more straightforward global enchantment, as well.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A supertype that’s normally relevant on enchantments. See rule 205.4, “Supertypes.” See also World Rule.
- 205.4f Any permanent with the supertype “world” is subject to the state-based action for world permanents, also called the “world rule” (see rule 704.5k).
World Rule[edit | edit source]
- World Rule
- A state-based action that causes all permanents with the world supertype except the one that has had the world supertype for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners’ graveyards. See rule 704.5k.
- 704.5k If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the one that has had the world supertype for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners’ graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “world rule.”
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Permanents put into a graveyard as a result of the "world rule" are not "destroyed" and thus can't be regenerated.
- No player gets priority between the time a world permanent enters the battlefield and the time the "world rule" sends the world permanents that have been on the battlefield the longest to their owners' graveyards. In other words, they can't be sacrificed, returned to their owners' hands, or otherwise affected in response.
- Unlike the "legend rule", the "world rule" doesn't care about the names of permanents. It cares only about the world supertype.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana (June 28, 2007). "World Enchantments". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (August 30, 2017). "Are world enchantments gone for good?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- William Jockusch (April 17, 2002). "Ask Wizards: "Why did you remove the Enchant World cards from Standard after Mirage block?"". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.