|Reminder Text||Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)|
28% 28% 12% 4% 4% 8% 4% 8% 4%
Wither is a keyword ability introduced in Shadowmoor. Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither isn’t marked on that creature. Rather, it causes that many -1/-1 counters to be put on that creature.
History[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 702.79. Wither
- 702.79a Wither is a static ability. Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither isn’t marked on that creature. Rather, it causes that source’s controller to put that many -1/-1 counters on that creature. See rule 119.3.
- 702.79b If a permanent leaves the battlefield before an effect causes it to deal damage, its last known information is used to determine whether it had wither.
- 702.79c The wither rules function no matter what zone an object with wither deals damage from.
- 702.79d Multiple instances of wither on the same object are redundant.
- A keyword ability that affects how an object deals damage to a creature. See rule 702.79, “Wither.”
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Wither's effect applies to any damage, not just combat damage.
- The -1/-1 counters remain on the creature indefinitely. They won't be removed if the creature regenerates or the turn ends.
- Since damage from a source with wither is real damage, it follows all the other rules for damage. It can be prevented or redirected. When it's dealt, it will cause lifelink and other similar abilities to trigger.
- If the source of the damage is still in play at the time that damage is dealt, its characteristics are checked to see if it has wither. If the source has left play by then, its last known information is used.
- Damage from sources with wither affects players and planeswalkers normally.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Elemental Warrior
Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
Cards that grant Wither[edit | edit source]
- Corrosive Mentor (black creatures you control)
- Fists of the Demigod (as long as enchanted creature is black)
Plane card that grants Wither[edit | edit source]
- Raven's Run (all creatures)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Shadowmoor 2: Wither (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.