We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|Reminder Text:||Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)|
|Statistics:|| 33 cards|
31% 21% 13%
Multicolor 30%, Artifact 15%
|Gatherer search for "Wither"|
Wither is a keyword ability introduced in Shadowmoor. Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither isn’t marked on that creature. Rather, it causes that many -1/-1 counters to be put on that creature.
History[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Wither's effect applies to any damage, not just combat damage.
- The -1/-1 counters remain on the creature indefinitely. They won't be removed if the creature regenerates or the turn ends.
- Since damage from a source with wither is real damage, it follows all the other rules for damage. It can be prevented or redirected. When it's dealt, it will cause lifelink and other similar abilities to trigger.
- If the source of the damage is still in play at the time that damage is dealt, its characteristics are checked to see if it has wither. If the source has left play by then, its last known information is used.
- Damage from sources with wither affects players and planeswalkers normally.
Example[edit | edit source]
Cards that grant Wither[edit | edit source]
- Corrosive Mentor (black creatures you control)
- Fists of the Demigod (as long as enchanted creature is black)
Plane card that grants Wither[edit | edit source]
- Raven's Run (all creatures)