|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
Description[edit | edit source]
Witches are practitioners of witchcraft. They can be male or female and usually possess malignant supernatural powers, often cast curses. They may have the aid of a devil or a familiar. Within the game of Magic: The Gathering, witches were represented by various classes. The more traditional ugly, old women used the type Hag, but witches could also be a wizard (e.g. Mistmeadow Witch), a spellshaper (e.g. Cackling Witch), a shaman (e.g. Bitterheart Witch), a cleric (e.g. Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch) or a Scarecrow (e.g. Wicker Witch)
Notable witches[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
- The blood-witches of the Cult of Rakdos. They are undead.
- The razorwitches of the Cult of Rakdos. Able to conjure double-ended, diamond-shaped, knives out of thin air.
Theros[edit | edit source]
- The "Sea Witch" met by Dack Fayden. She had powerful water magic and was able to summon a giant kraken to attack him.
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
Associated cards[edit | edit source]
- Festering Newt or Bubbling Cauldron, as used by the Bogbrew Witch
- Season of the Witch
- Witchbane Orb
- Witches' Eye
- Witch Hunt and Witch Hunter
- Witch's Familiar
- Witch's Mist
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (September 06, 2019). "Still confused as to how warlock won out over witch.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 05, 2019). "I get that warlock is the new subtype". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 04, 2019). "Why was Warlock chosen over Witch?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer (March 21, 2012). "The Guardian, the Witch, and the Angel". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Django Wexler (July 3, 2019), The Gathering Storm, Chapter Five.
- Magic: The Gathering - Theros Issue #2