A Wish is an effect that brings one or more cards "you own from outside the game" into your hand. In a casual game, a card you choose from outside the game comes from your personal collection. In a tournament event, a card you choose from outside the game must come from your sideboard.
Printings[edit | edit source]
Besides the original cycle only a few wishes were printed:
- Coax from the Blind Eternities () — Eldrazi related
- Collector Protector () — silver-bordered
- Glittering Wish () — shares naming with the original cycle
- Research ()
- Ring of Ma'rûf () — printed before the original wishes
- Spawnsire of Ulamog () — Eldrazi related
- Spike, Tournament Grinder () — silver-bordered
- Mastermind's Acquisition () — is a modal spell; the alternate mode is a tutor effect
- Karn, the Great Creator () — has a wish effect as his -2 loyalty ability.
- Vivien, Arkbow Ranger () — has a wish effect as her -5 loyalty ability.
Wishboard[edit | edit source]
A wishboard is a sideboard for a deck that is intended to be used in conjunction with wishes. Often, these sideboard cards are not intended to ever be sided into the main deck between games; rather, one of the wishes is used to retrieve the cards instead. The intent of this strategy is to not devote main deck space to cards that may be irrelevant in any particular match-up. Instead one trades game tempo for the ability to have the correct answer every game. This is, of course, assuming that the wishboard contains the proper answers.