Weirds are a red/blue creature type and a subspecies of elementals. Weirds are a creature type unique to the Izzet League on Ravnica, and function as ubiquitous lab assistants and "pets" of Izzet League members.
History[edit | edit source]
|“||Diametrically opposing energies in self-sealed plasmodermic bubbles make great pets!||”|
—Trivaz, Izzet mage
Created by Niv-Mizzet, the Izzet League parun and guild leader, supposedly during the Katazar-Razblat Elemental Symposium and so to produce elementals that might be more stable and easier to control, weirds are the semi-sentient, walking-paradox result of a fusion of elementals of opposing elements, of fire and water and of earth and electricity. Contrary to the intention of Niv-Mizzet's experiments, weirds are more erratic and wilder than elements of their constituent elements; but, they are nevertheless potent fighting familiars or guardian creatures.
Numerous Izzet chemisters are oblivious to the innumerable machinations of their guild, instead obsessively preoccupied with creating the "perfect" weird. Now, weirds have come to be the ubiquitous lab assistants, as well as becoming magically bound into a great many forms of machinery and infrastructure to insure proper workings and efficiency. Azorius lawmages would like to outlaw the creation of weirds, but first they'd have to settle their long-standing debate on how to classify them.
Weirds tend to be constructed with vaguely humanoid forms, their "skin" being self-sealed "plasmodermic bubbles" containing the diametrically-opposing energies that give them life. Different types of weirds include petrahydroxi (created from living stone as well as fire and water), gelectrodes (created to conduct electricity), blistercoils (research drones), and steamcores (the basic type, used to power Izzet machinery).
Ravnica block[edit | edit source]
Three weirds were printed in Ravnica block:
They are also created by:
Return to Ravnica block[edit | edit source]
Weirds were also featured in the Return to Ravnica block,
- Blistercoil Weird
- Frostburn Weird
- Melek, Izzet Paragon, a legendary Weird wizard specially created to compete as the guild champion maze-runner.
- Turn (Turn/Burn) is an instant that turns a target creature into a red Weird with base power and toughness 0/1.
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Weird||Blue||Creature — Weird||3/3||Defender, flying|
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Cavotta. (March 1, 2006.) “An In-Depth Look at the Izze- Hey, Look at That!”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari flavor insert
- Magic Arcana. (March 21, 2006.) “Guildpact Token Art 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (March 16, 2006.) “Sketches: Thunderheads”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.