War of the Spark
|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|War of the Spark|
|Release date||May 3, 2019|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
War of the Spark is the 81st Magic expansion. It will be released on May 3, 2019. Officially, it is not part of a block. However, it is part of a series of three consecutive sets on the same world, unofficially referred to as the Guilds of Ravnica block. It covers the event of the same name.
Set details[edit | edit source]
While all previous sets on Ravnica focused on the ten Ravnican guilds, this set will focus on the culmination of the Bolas Arc simply using the world as a backdrop. Mark Rosewater calls it an "event set", meaning it is built around an event rather than the plane.
The set features a "crazy" element that has never been tried before: It contains 36 planeswalkers. The set is accompanied by the first major paper Magic novel after an eight year break. Each booster pack contains a planeswalker card. All planeswalkers are new cards (no reprints).
Storyline[edit | edit source]
|“||Be there when it ends.||”|
The storyline and set will revolve around the fight between the Gatewatch and Nicol Bolas. The fight turns into an all-out planeswalker war. Dozens of powerful planeswalkers, from many disparate realities, unite against the elder dragon, who has claimed dominion over Ravnica and is perilously close to completing the spell that will grant him godhood. As they fight alongside the Gatewatch—led by Chandra Nalaar, Jace Beleren, and Gideon Jura—against Bolas and his relentless army of Eternals, nothing less than the fate of the multiverse is at stake. Little do the Gatewatch suspect that Bolas has not only accounted for their interference, but he is practically relying on it.
Marketing[edit | edit source]
War of the Spark is sold in regular 16-card boosters (one card being a marketing card and another one being a planeswalker), special Theme Boosters, two planeswalker decks, and the War of the Spark bundle. The planeswalker theme of the set was revealed in a teaser that featured the art of the 36 planeswalker cards with an added stained-glass effect.
Events[edit | edit source]
- War of the Spark will be online on MTG Arena on April 25, two days before prerelease.
- Prerelease takes place on April 27–28, 2019, the same weekend as London MagicFest and the second Mythic Championship of the year. In fact, the MagicFest at a late date was revealed to be a "Prerelease grand prix".
- The Magic League is omitted from War of the Spark and all seasons for the foreseeable future, according to WPN because it demanded a lot of resources from stores and Tournament Organizers (TOs) and did little to drive play.
- Magic Weekend is an experimental one-off format, with special rules curated by Magic’s design studio.
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Magic Open House: full-art TBA
- Prerelease: a foil stamped card that can be any rare or mythic, and a foil stamped planeswalker.
- Draft Weekend Launch promo: TBA
- Buy-a-Box: TBA
- FNM promos: TBA
- Magic Weekend: alternate art TBA and full-art TBA 
Tokens / Emblems[edit | edit source]
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
Card types[edit | edit source]
War of the Spark introduces the Teyo planeswalker type.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Mirrored pairs[edit | edit source]
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
Card comparisons[edit | edit source]
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
War of the Spark features two planeswalker decks:
Stained-glass gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (January 11, 2019.) "Is war of the sparks set code wos or war or what...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Magic: The Gathering on Twitter
- WPN Product info
- Mark Rosewater. (May 18, 2018.) "In the summer announcements video gavin mentions...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 10, 2018.) "Guild to Order, Part 1", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (May 18, 2018.) "Going back to ravnica is exciting but getting 3...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (May 20, 2018.) "As you look to revisit ravnica three times will...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 09, 2019.) "Would that make War of the Spark a top-down set?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 09, 2019.) "If event sets are based around a single event, ...?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 24, 2019.) "War of the Spark is doing something incredibly crazy that has never been tried before.", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Chris Gleeson. (March 8, 2019.) "A Closer Look at the Stained-Glass Planeswalkers", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 08, 2019.) "Is that the crazy aspect about the set that you're super excited for us you see?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Cameron Kunzelman. (September 1, 2018.) "Magic: The Gathering Returns to Novels in 2019 With Greg Weisman's Ravnica", Pastemagazine.com.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 08, 2019.) "Are we allowed to know yet if any of the 36 planeswalkers are reprints?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- James Wyatt. (January 2019.) "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica", Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 09, 2019.) "Will it be possible to buy stained-glass artworks of the planeswalkers on shirts or posters in the future?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (March 11, 2019.) "You said the stained-glass planeswalkers weren't painted that way and the glass effect was added afterward.", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Magic Deutschland on Twitter
- Magic: The Gathering on Twitter
- CFB Events on Twitter
- WPN. (February 15, 2019.) "Before You Schedule War of the Spark...".
- Magic War of the Spark : Pre-Release, Friday Event #1
- Mark Rosewater. (March 10, 2019.) "Are there cards in WAR that aren't planeswalkers but synergize with them or use mechanics that they benefit from?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
[edit | edit source]