Voltron is a deck archetype with the goal of casting one creature, then using other cards such as Auras and Equipment to enhance that creature and making it a true threat to the opponent. The archetype's name derives from the Japanese animated series Voltron which features several small robots that combine into one large robot.
The archetype is particularly popular in Commander, which has several rules that greatly benefit the strategy. For one, Commander automatically gives permanent access to a creature card, the Commander, who can simply be recast from the Command zone if it would leave the battlefield. Secondly, players start at 40 life, but being dealt 21 total combat damage by a Commander causes a player to lose the game.
Popular Voltron creatures[edit | edit source]
- Uril, the Miststalker — has hexproof and a power-up ability.
- Zur the Enchanter — flies and provides strong versatility with his tutor ability
- Sigarda, Host of Herons — has evasion and is nigh impossible to kill
- Bruna, Light of Alabaster — flying. She also enables use of enchantments from anywhere meaning they will never be wasted.
- Thrun, the Last Troll — very hard to kill, and mono-colored, which may or may not be an advantage
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope — 8/8 flying that makes herself and all your other permanents indestructible
- Zurgo Helmsmasher — Haste, Indestructible on your turn, and gets bigger when he kills a blocker
- Narset, Enlightened Master — has Hexproof and lets you cast more auras off the top for free.
- Kemba, Kha Regent — The more equipment attached to Kemba, the more 2/2 Cats you can put onto the field per turn.
- Geist of Saint Traft — Hexproof and when attacks create a 4/4 Angel token tapped and attacking. Token leaves play at end of turn.
- Brisela, Voice of Nightmares — 9/10 that renders most aggro decks nearly obsolete.
- Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist — 3/2 with first strike and when she attacks, opponents can only block with 1 creature and for as long as shes tapped, only 1 creature can attack you per combat.
- Slippery Bogle — Hexproof for a very small mana cost.