Champions of Kamigawa (keyword)
|Reminder Text||Vigilance (Attacking doesn't cause this creature to tap.)|
75% 16% 13% 9% 4%
The keyword exists primary on white cards and secondary on green; creatures with vigilance generally are depicted as guards or sentinels. White tends to get this on creatures where the power is equal to or less than the toughness, and seldom with a power greater than 3. Green tends to get this ability on larger creatures to differentiate it from white.
Before it was keyworded, vigilance was known as the Serra ability after Serra Angel. The ability has existed in the game since Alpha, where it was not keyworded but instead had the rules text of the ability written out.
Vigilance was introduced as a keyword in Champions of Kamigawa. Ninth Edition was the first core set to follow. Vigilance was retroactively supplanted, via Oracle, on all cards that had "Attacking doesn't cause this creature to tap." such as Serra Angel itself.
- A keyword ability that lets a creature attack without tapping. See rule 702.20, “Vigilance.”
- 702.20. Vigilance
- 702.20a Vigilance is a static ability that modifies the rules for the declare attackers step.
- 702.20b Attacking doesn’t cause creatures with vigilance to tap. (See rule 508, “Declare Attackers Step.”)
- 702.20c Multiple instances of vigilance on the same creature are redundant.
Creature — Human Rebel
Vigilance (Attacking doesn't cause this creature to tap.)
Enchantments that grant just Vigilance
All your creatures
Plane card that grants Vigilance
- Gavony (all creatures)
- The Vigilance, lifelink, and fear keywords are the only keywords with a card of the exact name (Vigilance, Lifelink and Fear respectively). Flying comes close, with the card called Flight.
- Mark Rosewater (June 5, 2017). "Mechanical Color Pie 2017". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 24, 2005). "A Few Words From R&D". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2015). "Evergreen Eggs & Ham". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Magic 2010: Vigilance (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.