As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
78.6% 4.8% 4.8% 4.8% 7.1%as of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
Viashino is a predominantly red creature type describing intelligent bipedal humanoid lizard-folk descended from Dragons, over whom they exert some power. The savage Viashino possess lean but muscular builds and can be agile, quick, and vicious when necessary.
History[edit | edit source]
The viashino were first mentioned in The Prodigal Sorcerer novel.
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
In Dominaria, viashino are the main civilization on the Shivan sands. In addition to Shiv, they may be found throughout the Burning Isles and as far west as Jamuraa. The viashino live in clan communities, each of which led by a ''bey'', and have a society of warriors. They live almost exclusively in simple desert camps, which can disappear in minutes if they decide to mobilize. In spite of the emphasis on militarism and their warrior code, the viashino are also known for their metalsmithing and crafts. As harsh as the desert is, the viashino are suited to it, relying on "sand swimming" for transportation and tactical advantage.
Viashino have constantly been skirmishing with the Goblins, which are also native to Shiv; the Ghitu tribe of humans; and even the Shivan dragons themselves. In the face of any outside adversity, the viashino often became staunch allies of the goblins and the Ghitu. The four species now have formed the Shivan Nation together.
The Viashino of Tamingazin live in the city Berimish. The city does not have any stairs, as they prefer to use climbing poles. Older viashino “retire to the breeding house” and they don't know their own gender until they reach maturity.
En'Jaga[edit | edit source]
Alara[edit | edit source]
On the Alaran shard of Jund, the viashino possess a crocodilian form. They form self-organized groups referred to as thrashes; four thrashes have been featured in cards (Thorn Thrash, Carrion Thrash, Thunder Thrash, and Skyclaw Thrash.
On the shard of Grixis necromancers have found the remains of viashino and resurrected them as zombies or skeletons. After the Conflux the Viashino of Jund were confronted by their primitive, beastly, counterparts on Naya.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Notable Viashino[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The novel The Prodigal Sorcerer, which featured the Viashino for the first time, came out exactly a year before Mirage was released. The Viashino were a creation of Mark Sumner for this novel, and the team behind Mirage liked them enough to incorporate them into the game. A likely prototype of them, the Viashin, appeared in Sumner's short story "Storm Winter", published in Dragon Magazine #163.
- Lizard Warrior depicts a Viashino, but hasn't the subtype.
- Mark Rosewater's opinion is that it was a mistake to create the Viashino subtype for the Lizard folk.
- The novel War of the Spark: Ravnica featured a large viashino planeswalker with lime-green skin who died when its' spark was harvested by the Dreadhorde.
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (December 24, 2008). "How to Design a Hellion and More!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (August 10, 2011). "Magic's Exclusive Creatures". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt. (2018.) "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Dominaria", VIZ Media.
- Mark Sumner. (November 1995.) "The Prodigal Sorcerer"
- Squirle (February 11, 2015). "The Prodigal Sorcerer". Multiverse in Review. Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer (December 3, 2008). "Jund's One Rule". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (November 17, 2008). "Sketches: Vicious Shadows". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 19, 2009). "Sketches: Predatory Advantage". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Unearthed Arcana; Races of Ravnica (PDF)
- Mark Rosewater (June 05, 2016). "The line for me is “does the word have equity outside the game?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Greg Weisman (May 15, 2019). "War of the Spark: Ravnica – The Path to Opulent". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- "Viashino" — Phyrexia.com