Undergrowth is an ability word, introduced in Guilds of Ravnica for the Golgari Swarm, which cares for the number of creatures in your graveyard.
Each undergrowth ability is different.They provide scaling effects that may start small, but they can be dominating in the late game.
- Creature cards with other types, such as artifact creature cards, count for undergrowth abilities.
- Because tokens aren't cards, they never count for undergrowth abilities.
- Golgari Raiders -
Creature — Elf Warrior
Undergrowth — Golgari Raiders enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.
- Necrotic Wound -
Undergrowth — Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.
- ↑ Matt Tabak. (September 4, 2018.) “Guilds of Ravnica Mechanics”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Mark Rosewater. (September 17, 2018.) “Guild to Order, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- ↑ Wizards of the Coast. (September 20, 2018.) “Guilds of Ravnica Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.