|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
2.8% 5.6% 5.6% 58.3% 2.8% 2.8% 22.2%as of Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths
With regenerate falling out of favor with both design and development, trolls have become rarer and harder to print as they suffer the same problems as skeletons: the flavor wants trolls to have regenerate, but R&D doesn't want to print cards with regenerate due to complexity/poor gameplay; therefore R&D doesn't make as many trolls.
Trolls throughout the Multiverse[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
On Dominaria live the aforementioned Uthden Troll and Sedge Troll : while no continent is the specific focus of Alpha, most early Magic took place on either Terisiare or The Domains, meaning we can infer that these species lived on either or both.
At the time of the Time Rifts crisis, Sedge Trolls from an alternate reality known as Hedge Trolls appeared. These trolls were profoundly devout, and it seemed that unlike the other species of troll, these didn't need to feed.
Mercadia[edit | edit source]
Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
The trolls who were brought to Mirrodin lived at Tel-Jilad, the largest tree in the Tangle. Inscribed onto its metal surface is the history of Mirrodin. Near the bottom, all the writings have been etched out. These trolls considered this their sacred home, and they lived within its hollow core. After the Vanishing there was only one left: Thrun, the Last Troll.
Rath[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Many Ravnican trolls live oppressed existences, being hunted by faeries or experimented on by the Simic Combine. They are part of the Gruul Clans and the Golgari Swarm (Golgari Grave-Troll, Lotleth Troll, Trestle Troll, Charnel Troll, Challenger Troll, Varolz, The Scar Striped). Golgari trolls are highly resistant to injuries. They have a symbiotic relationship with the fungus that covers their body like a mane.
Shadowmoor[edit | edit source]
Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
The Homelands harbor a race of Sea Trolls. Sea Trolls are vicious, cruel, and extremely crafty undersea hunters. They can walk on land for a few hours at a time but are best off in the deepwater away from sunlight and bright illumination.
Whole tribes of Sea Trolls exist within deep subterranean caves and live by stealing from Seafolk fish-herds, attacking passing surface ships, or even ambushing Seafolk towns and dragging their prisoners back to the caves for a quick, predatory meal. Sea Trolls have been the bane of the Seafolk for years, as they swim faster, fight harder, and are well versed in camouflaging themselves by painting the color of their skins with scum from the ocean floor.
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
Harvester Trolls existed on Zendikar at the time of the conflict with the Eldrazi, though they didn't intervene, preferring to continue preying upon wanderers.
Notable Trolls[edit | edit source]
- Drulvurg, troll king of the jungle trolls.
- Kakra, a sea troll whose sayings prove the intelligence and pragmatic side of its species.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Uthden Troll and Sedge Troll are both the first trolls printed and the only mono-red trolls.
- Sea Troll is the only blue troll.
- Jungle Troll, Charging Troll, Grismold, the Dreadsower, Lotleth Troll, Trestle Troll, and Varolz, the Scar-Striped — The only multicolored trolls.
- Rendclaw Trow and Odious Trow are the only trolls with an hybrid mana cost. They both are .
- Out of the 33 trolls printed in the game, 20 are mono-green .
References[edit | edit source]
- Doug Beyer (November 10, 2010). "How to Design a Specter and More!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (April 06, 2004). "Mirrodin block trolls". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (February 02, 2006). "The Gruul Troll". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast
- Doug Beyer (July 30, 2008). "Concepting Eventide, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Scott Hungerford and Kyle Namvar. (June 14th, 1995). Backstory for Magic the Gathering: Homelands, Wizards of the Coast.
- Jungle Troll flavor text
- Carapace (Homelands, #84a), Chain Stasis, Narwhal and Sea Sprite flavor text