This is a timeline of the Magic: The Gathering storyline. It is an unofficial document, but all information on it is taken from official canon sources (see: list of storyline sources). All stories that could be dated, or could not be dated but could be placed at some point in the timeline because of their connection to other stories, have been incorporated to the fullest possible extent. Note that this timeline is not completely accurate, and some events have an estimated date or a date range in which they could have occurred.
Dating systems[edit | edit source]
Cridhe[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
The dates on this timeline are in A.R.: Argivian Reckoning, with year 1 starting with the birth of Urza. Other known reckonings are Penregon Founded, beginning with the founding of the city Penregon in −912 A.R., and the Reckoning of the Sages of Minorad, starting with the gathering of said sages in 3000 A.R.. A Dominarian year is 420 days long and divided into twelve 35-day months.
Most pre-revisioned dates were given in the Minorad reckoning, but most of them can't possibly be true in post-revisionist continuity. Minorad reckoning is only incorporated in the timeline and translated to A.R. if it can still be true in current continuity.
Another dating system was established by New Sumifans in Almaaz. Its Common Era (CE) starts around 3035 AR. (Date of 3000 BCE (Before Common Era) corresponds to times of Brothers, soon after Almaaz joined to Mishra's forces).
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Ravnica works with Z.C. and A.C., which stand for "Zal Concordat" and "Al Concordat", meaning "After the Agreement" and "Before the Agreement" in Old Ravi respectively. The agreement in this case is the signing of the Guildpact. The D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica etablishes the Ravnica year of the Guilds of Ravnica block as 10,076 Z.C., which equals ~4560 AR.
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Pre-History[edit | edit source]
Mythohistory (-20,000 AR to -15,000 AR)[edit | edit source]
The Time of Dragons[edit | edit source]
- The Ur-Dragon spawns the first dragons on Dominaria. They collectively become known as the Elder Dragons.
Between -20,000 and -17,000
- Around this time the Elder Dragons, who had ruled Dominaria for ages, were engaged in the Elder Dragon War. The victors of that war were Nicol Bolas (who ascended), his siblings Ugin, Arcades Sabboth, Palladia-Mors and Chromium, and his cousin Vaevictis Asmadi. Those who lost the war were beaten to the ground, stripped of their title, never to fly again, becoming Wurms.
- Belzenlok is sealed away during the War in the Abyss.
- Nicol Bolas battles a demonic leviathan in a planeswalker duel to take place on Dominaria. The fight reduced Madara to a third of its former size and created the first rift on the world. What remained of the leviathan came to be known as the Talon Gates after Nicol Bolas devoured its remains.
- The Guildpact is created on the plane of Ravnica after a long war led by the opposing Cisarzim and Razia. Ravnican guilds divide duties across nine guilds for the betterment of the plane as a whole. Ravnica begins its long evolution into a predominantly urban plane.
Time of the Thran (Up to -5,000 AR)[edit | edit source]
- Yawgmoth comes to power among the Thran. With the help of Dyfed, he claims control of a decaying plane that he reshapes into Phyrexia, and wages war against the greater Thran Alliance.
- Dyfed transports many of Yawgmoth's political enemies to Mercadia, leaving them stranded.
- The Thran Empire is destroyed.
- The Null Moon is launched.
- Yawgmoth is trapped on Phyrexia by the closure of the planar portal in the Caves of Koilos.
Time of Legends (-5,000 AR to 0 AR)[edit | edit source]
Between -5,000 AR and -440
- Sivitri Scarzam conquered south-eastern Corondor with the help of her dragons, until they were destroyed with a special potion. Sivitri flees Dominaria on her last remaining dragon.
- The kingdom of Zhalfir takes shape on Jamuraa.
Between -2,500 and -440
- Dakkon forges the Blackblade for Geyadrone Dihada, who in exchange triggers his spark. Geyadrone Dihada conquers the south of Corondor and turns the nature spirit of Khone into Sol'Kanar the Swamp King. Dihada tricks a young boy from the destroyed village Carth into summoning Dakkon Blackblade and binding them to each other. Dihada and Dakkon fight. Dakkon slays Dihada's minion, the Elder Piru, but Dihada absorbs her power. Dakkon is marked by Dihada as one of her champions, but gets back his shadow. The boy from Carth and Dakkon travel to Terisiare. The boy starts the lineage of the Carthalions.
- Xarl turns the Serra Angel Trine into a Fallen Angel using the Horned Halo and conquers the north of Corondor, ruling for three centuries.
- Not long after, the adopted son of the magician Xarl, Eskil, summons the angel Rahel to subdue Trine. Eskil is blinded in the final conflict, but ascends as a planeswalker.
- Left by his mistress, Sol'Kanar seeks to restore his power and fight the Fallen Angel in the north. He and two women try to summon the Scarzam Dragons. They succeed, but Sivitri Scarzam also appears and turns against Sol'Kanar. In the aftermath, the city of Khone is destroyed.
Between -2,420 and 0
- The Battle of Mors Ridge takes place. Chromium Rhuell battles and defeats Vaevictis Asmadi and Palladia-Mors.
~-2,440 or earlier
- Sorin Markov is born on the plane of Innistrad. Edgar Markov creates the curse of vampirism on Innistrad with the assistance of the demon Shilgengar while Sorin is a young man.
~-1,830 or earlier
From -1,440 to -1,400
- Sorin, Ugin, and Nahiri meet on an unknown plane destroyed by the Eldrazi. They hatch a plan to imprison the Eldrazi.
~-1,400 or earlier
Antiquities War (0 AR to 63 AR)[edit | edit source]
20 to 63
The Brothers' War[edit | edit source]
- Urza, Mishra, and Tocasia discover the Caves of Koilos, in which the portal to Phyrexia is enclosed. The brothers split the powerstone by accident. Conflict between the brothers rises, with Tocasia caught in between. She dies when hit by energy beams from the stones. Mishra flees into the desert, and is enslaved by Fallaji nomads. Urza becomes an apprentice clockmaker in Kroog.
- Urza and Mishra become leaders of their respective sides, and old conflicts draw them into opposition.
- Gix enters Dominaria and uses the Brotherhood of Gix to infiltrate both sides.
- The city of Sumifa, capital of Almaaz, is buried by tons of sand by the wizard Porros.
- The final battle of the Brothers' War takes place on the island of Argoth. Gix makes all the artifact creatures in both armies go berserk. Mishra is revealed to have been altered by Phyrexian constructs.
- Urza activates the Golgothian Sylex.
The Sylex Blast obliterates Argoth, turns Urborg into a swamp, and sends all of Dominaria into an Ice Age. Urza ascends. The Shard of the Twelve Worlds begins to form. Gix and his minions retreat to Phyrexia.
- The Dark Age begins.
Ice Age (64 AR to 2943 AR)[edit | edit source]
The Refraction of Rabiah[edit | edit source]
Before 600 AR
- Not long after the Sylex Blast on Dominaria, Taysir is born on the plane of Rabiah. During his infancy, an unknown event causes Rabiah to be copied 1000 times. So are all the people, places and objects of the original Rabiah, with few exceptions — only five incarnations of Taysir among them.
- The Sorceress Queen Nailah seduces the black magic copy of Taysir and tells him that he will become a planeswalker if he unites himself with the other four copies.
The Black Taysir absorbs the Green Taysir with force, but feels enormous guilt over this and turns against Nailah.
- The Red Taysir and the White Taysir unite out of free will and later unite with the Blue Taysir as well. Then Taysir challenges Nailah. The white-blue-red Taysir finally unites with the green-black one to create a single Taysir. The ascended Taysir leaves Rabiah about three decades after its Refraction, never to return to his homeplane again. As he leaves, Nailah casts a ban on the planes of Rabiah and locks Taysir and other planeswalkers out of the 1001 worlds.
The Dark Age[edit | edit source]
- Under Reod Dai's guidance, the goblin and orc tribes of Sarpadia unite. Reod Dai's magic inadvertently cause Havenwood's Thallids to gain sentience. Reod Dai incites Thrulls' rebellion against their Ebon Hand masters.
- Driven by colder winters, the goblin and orc tribes of Sarpadia migrate out of their mountains, invading and overthrowing the Dwarven Empire.
- Tymolin Loneglade is murdered by Oliver Farrel. Her brother, the planeswalker Tev Loneglade goes insane, assumes the identity of Tevesh Szat, the Doom of Fools, and urges the goblins and orcs to attack Icatia.
- Fleeing from the Homarids that are attacking Vodalia, Empress Galina is accidentally transported over 3000 years into the future. Vodalia falls. Etlan Shiis becomes the new center of Merfolk culture.
- The Thrulls destroy the Ebon Hand. The Havenwood elves are overrun by the Thallids. Icatia is overrun by the goblin and orc hordes. The Thrulls conquest all of Sarpadia; only some orc tribes (at least until the Phyrexian Invasion) and the Thallids survive.
- Nevinyrral activates his disk on Urborg, ending the war between Urborg and Bogardan, but destroying Urborg's capitol.
- Jodah gains near-immortality after hiding from Goblins in a Fountain of Youth.
- Jodah receives his mirror from Voska.
- Jodah frees Lord Ith, and Ith destroys the Conclave of Mages.
- Jodah journeys to the City of Shadows where he eventually becomes the Archmage Eternal.
- Rasputin Dreamweaver and Tivadar lead a crusade against the goblins.
- Events from "Dark Legacy" take place.
Time of Ice[edit | edit source]
- The beginning of the full Ice Age of Dominaria.
- Sima dies. The grief of this event is the latest in a long line of emotional strains for Jodah, who begins to descend into madness. He saves himself by using his mirror to save his memories, wipe his mind clean and use the memories in the mirror to regain himself, without the emotional attachment. Jodah will repeat this roughly once a century for 2500 years.
- Taysir comes to Dominaria and falls in love with Kristina of the Woods. They are both trapped when the Shard closes not much later.
- The Shard of the Twelve Worlds is fully formed, trapping all planeswalkers in a section of the multiverse include Dominaria and eleven other planes.
- On an unspecified plane within the Shard, Ravidel is apprenticed to Faralyn. Ravidel befriends Chromium Rhuell.
- On Dominaria, the city of Sumifa is rebuilt near its old site..
- Urza Planeswalker meets the defective Phyrexian newt Xantcha. He thinks she's a human turned Phyrexian and takes her along with him in his crusade against Yawgmoth.
- Urza launches an attack on Phyrexia, but is defeated. Yawgmoth corrupts Urza, causing him to degenerate into madness.
- A mercantile affiliation between several trading fleets establishes the Sheoltun Empire on Aerona.
- Thanks to the meddling of Tevesh Szat, the kingdom Storgard falls. Freyalise ascends. Jason Carthalion and Oriel Kjeldos head southward with their followers and found Kjeldor.
- Marit Lage is imprisoned by unknown means under the Ronom Glacier.
- Urza and Xantcha are brought to Serra's Realm. Serra heals Urza, but his mind has still not fully recovered. Phyrexians eventually follow the two to the Realm and invade it, prompting Serra to flee and Radiant to rise to power.
- The first Ojanen stands up to his creator, Terrent Amese, who in response creates Ur-Drago to exact his revenge. Scarwood is lost to the cat tribes.
- Centuries later, the elves of Scarwood are driven away by giant apes, who relocates in the hidden city.
- Barrins learn the Blare of Doom.
- Arcades Sabboth is forcibly summoned by Leshrac in a duel with Kristina of the Wood. Kristina is forced to kill Arcades.
- Jodah and Jaya Ballard rescue King Darien from the Knights of Stromgald. Jodah unites Kjeldor and Balduvia against Lim-Dûl. Lim-Dûl is defeated and Leshrac takes the necromancer with him when he departs Dominaria.
- The summit of the Null Moon takes place. Chromium Rhuell is killed, and Ravidel ascends. Leshrac, Lim-Dûl and Faralyn flee to Shandalar.
- Jaeuhl Carthalion defeats Tevesh Szat. Szat flees to Shandalar.
- Freyalise completes the World Spell and enchants Jodah's mirror.
- The Shard is destroyed. The Ice Age comes to an end. The Flood Ages begin.
- Faralyn is killed on Shandalar. Lim-Dûl, Leshrac and Tevesh-Szat start a war on Shandalar.
- Lim-Dûl and Szat are eventually defeated by Kenan Sahrmal. Lim-Dûl is left behind. Sharmal's powers are severely drained.
Flood Ages (2934 AR to 3285 AR)[edit | edit source]
The Flood Age[edit | edit source]
- Kristina leaves Taysir. Ravidel is apprenticed to Taysir. Taysir craves to return home but can't return to Rabiah because of Nailah's spell. Ravidel pushes Taysir to kill planeswalkers and use their energy to pierce the spell, just like Faralyn did to the Shard during the Summit. Taysir hunts down Leshrac but cannot bring himself to kill in cold blood, so he imprisons him in Phyrexia. Ravidel leaves Taysir for an unspecified amount of time.
- Flooding caused by the World Spell drowns Fyndhorn. Jaeuhl Carthalion and Kaysa lead the Fyndhorn survivors to Yavimaya and makes peace with Multani and the intelligent gorillas.
- Lim-Dûl returns with an army of undead. Azar, Sharmal's apprentice defeats him, but gets trapped with him in one body. Sharmal hides the body, for its energies keep 'walkers from entering Shandalar.
- Jodah unites Kjeldor and Balduvia into New Argive.
- Mairsil, possessing Jaya Ballard destroys Soldev and the School of the Unseen, using Phyrexian Warbeasts and Soldevi Steambeasts. Jodah destroys Mairsil. Jaya Ballard ascends. Jaya defeats the War- and Steambeasts.
- The Rimewind mage Heidar rises to power to try and reinstate the Ice Age with the help of Garza Zol. He kills Lovisa Coldeyes in his plans before being eliminated by his former ally.
- Ravidel, wishing revenge on Leshrac, Tevesh Szat, Kristina, and all other people that once betrayed him, starts a long-term plan on Corondor.
- Ravidel battles Ash Warlord Embereck over the Golgothian Sylex. A bargain is struck and Ravidel gains control of the sylex.
The "Empty Quarter"[edit | edit source]
- The Gathering of the sages of Minorad. These sages, Kristina of the Woods, Ash Warlord Embereck, Grenfell Mor of Golthonor, Altair of Coloni, and Liana of Minorad, are visited by Ravidel who threatens them with the Golgothian Sylex. Embereck leaves the council. The others agree to Ravidel's demands: his plans will be left alone, whatever they are.
- Ravidel banishes Kristina from the White Woods. Grenfell is locked in the sand seas of Golthonor. Altair wanders Corondor for ages. Liana is left under the mind control of Ravidel's own spell squire the Scarlet Vizier. The Vizier talks his way into House Carthalion, hoping that one day a child with the planeswalkers spark will be born in this family of powerful mages and the child will overthrow Ravidel.
- Lim-Dûl defeats Azar and returns, but finds that Shandalar has powerful defenders now. He starts the Wizard's War, but loses. Sharmal removes Lim-Dûl from Azar's body and puts him in an artifact which is used to keep the Planar Ban around Shandalar intact.
- Arzakon discovers Shandalar, but is thwarted by Sharmal.
- The guild-lords Alsadim K'mer, Starcryst, Lichlord, Kzzy'n and the Great Druid rise up against the Guardian, believing they can cast a spell to gain dominion over all of Shandalar. They have been deceived however, for this spell in truth gives Arzakon access to Shandalar. The artifact that holds Lim-Dûl is shattered and Arzakon arrives, but he is defeated by the second apprentice of Kenan Sharmal.
- The Tolgath and the Ancients wage war on Ulgrotha. Ravi ends this war by ringing the Apocalypse Chime, which destroys the leylines of Ulgrotha, kills nearly everything on the plane, and weakens the planar barriers between Dominaria and Kamigawa.
Between 3200 AR and 3306 AR
- On the night of his daughter's birth, Konda uses Hisoka's research and the soratami's aid to take Kyodai from the spirit realm and lock her into the form of a stone disc that makes Konda immortal. This enrages O-Kagachi, mightiest of kami, and starts the Kami War.
Between 3210 AR and 3316 AR
- Urza and Xantcha arrive on Equilor, hoping to learn the origins of the Phyrexians. Urza learns that Dominaria is shielded from the other planes by the Shard, and thinks his crusade has ended. He plans to create an artifact-based paradise on Equilor before the inhabitants ask him to leave.
Between 3215 AR and 3321 AR
- Kobo is apprenticed to Hidestugu.
Between 3220 AR and 3326 AR
- Michiko Konda sets out to discover her involvement in the beginning of the Kami War. Toshiro Umezawa gets involved in Mochi's plans. Michiko, Toshi and their companions are captured by the Orochi of the Myojin of Life's Web, who want to kill Michiko to end the war. They escape and Toshi allies himself with the Myojin of Night's Reach to defeat Life's Web.
- Enraged over the death of his apprentice Kobo at the hands of Choryu, who was taking orders from the wizards of Minamo and the Moonfolk, Hidestugu launches an attack on Minamo Academy and the moonfolk capitol Oboro.
- O-Kagachi finally manifests in the physical world and demolishes Eiganjo. Toshi brings That Which Was Taken to Minamo to set *O-Kagachi against Mochi. The fallen samurai rise as spirits and Konda leads them to reclaim That Which Was Taken.
- Hidetsugu is sent to the lair of the Oni of All-Consuming Chaos and merges with it. Toshi takes That Which Was Taken from Mochi again and brings it to Michiko, who frees Kyodai from it. The two of them defeat O-Kagachi, Konda, and Mochi, and leave to form the new O-Kagachi.
- Toshi is taken to Dominaria and blinded by the Myojin of Night's Reach as punishment for indirectly recreating the planar barriers around Kamigawa, denying the Myojin her planeswalking abilities. Toshi survives and starts the Umezawa lineage.
- Orcs and goblins that survived the ringing of the Apocalypse Chime form a kingdom in the Koskun Mountains.
From 3254 to 3255
- Xantcha meets Ratepe and has him pose as Mishra.
- Jodah visits Urza and brings him to his senses.
- Urza kills all Sleeper Agents on Dominaria.
- Urza fights Gix in the Caves of Koilos. Xantcha and Ratepe die.
- The Sheoltun Empire begins to collapse after being routed from Terisiare by a flock of Serra Angels that block out the sun.
Modern History (3285 AR to 4205 AR)[edit | edit source]
- The Tolarian Academy is founded.
- Sarkhan arrives in the past of Tarkir to influence the battle between Nicol Bolas and Ugin (date approximate).
- Azor travels to Ixalan. He never receives the signal, from Ugin, to imprison Nicol Bolas using the Immortal Sun and is left stranded (date approximate).
- Jhoira is born.
- Teferi is born.
- Phyrexians overrun the Tolarian Academy and kill everyone. Karn is sent 24 hours back in time to stop this, but the academy is destroyed when Urza's time machine is overloaded. Urza, Barrin, Karn and several students escape the island. The sleeper agent Kerrick is locked in a fast-time bubble. Several survivors stay on the island.
- Empress Galina emerges from the time stream, defeats the council of Etlan Shiis, and founds New Vodalia.
- Urza, Barrin and Karn return to Tolaria and are reunited with Jhoira, who is the last survivor on the island. They rebuild the academy. Jhoira falls into a coma.
- Jhoira emerges from her coma and saves Teferi from the slow-time bubble he had been caught in ever since the destruction of the academy.
- Johan attempts to conquer the Jamuraan city-states of Bryce and Palmyra, but it is stopped by Hazezon Tamar, the Efravan Jaeger Ojanen, Adira Strongheart and her Robaran Mercenaries. However, Jaeger is eaten by a sand wurm.
- Johan reaches Efrava where he finds Jedit, Jaeger's son. The sorcerer's plan to use Jedit to kill Hazezon and Adira backfires, and Johan is forced to flee to Shauku's castle. Jedit and Adira intervention cause the destruction of the castle: Johan escapes to Tirras.
- Johan is preparing a fleet of airships to conquest Efrava. Jedit rediscovers Scarwood's secret and forges an alliance with the other cat tribes. In the Battle of Efrava, Johan is eaten by a sand wurm; however Adira too is killed. Jedit becomes the commander of the Robaran Mercenaries and the cat warriors are free to roam Dominaria.
- Urza journeys to Shiv and discovers the Mana Rig. Urza starts creating the Legacy artifacts. Shortly afterward he also starts his Bloodline project.
- Urza comes to Yavimaya to find allies against Phyrexia, but is imprisoned in an ancient tree for his crimes against Argoth. Multani discovers the Phyrexians are a threat that only Urza can deal with. He frees Urza and grants him the Weatherseed.
- Kerrick's (now K'rrik) forces escape from a fast-time bubble, but are defeated by Urza.
- Nicol Bolas usurps Madara.
- Urza defeats Radiant in Serra's Realm. Serra's Realm collapses and its energy is trapped in the power matrix of Weatherlight. Serran refugees move to Dominaria.
- Jhoira and Teferi move to Zhalfir.
- Serra arrives on Ulgrotha. She unites the nomad tribes into the city-state Aysen.
- Some dwarves go through a portal and end up in Ulgrotha. They found the city New Freedom. Some of these dwarves set out across the ocean to explore this new world.
- Two planeswalkers fight in Ulgrotha. Baron Sengir is left behind. Sengir overtakes New Freedom and turns its princess, Irini, into a vampire.
- The Baron discovers Ravi locked in a vault on top of the Basalt Spire.
- Urza reveals his Bloodline project and most of Tolaria is now working on it.
- Croag, a Phyrexian Inner Circle member, is awakened by Yawgmoth to hunt down Urza. He starts sending Negators after Urza.
- Davvol is taken to Rath to become its new steward.
- Rofellos is brought to Yavimaya to help craft the forest's defenses against Phyrexia.
- Karn's memory is capped at 20 years.
- Gatha leaves Tolaria to start his own Bloodline project in Keld.
- Nahiri awakens, fights eldrazi, and begins her search for Sorin as seen in Stirring from Slumber.
- Feroz arrives on Ulgrotha. He meets Sandruu, a minotaur whom he trains in the use of magic. He also meets Serra. Serra and Feroz fall in love. After meeting the two 'walkers, Baron Sengir decides to lie low for a while.
- Avacyn declares one of the angelic sisters a heretic for dealing with a demonlord. Her entire flight is eradicated and her name stricken from every record.
- Sandruu ascends. During his travels he meets Kristina and they become romantically involved.
- Feroz visits the Floating Isle and founds the Wizards' School there.
- Ravidel shows Taysir the lovers Sandruu and Kristina. Taysir attacks Sandruu and follows him to Ulgrotha. Sandruu is banished to some far away plane. Feroz kills Taysir, but saves his Centre of Consciousness to be cleansed by the Anaba spirit crafters.
- Serra and Feroz erect Feroz's Ban around Ulgrotha.
- Argenti and Kusho defect from the Madaran Empire. Ramses Overdark attempts to retake the islands, but is thwarted by Tetsuo Umezawa.
- Marhault Elsdragon leads a major campaign against Argenti and Kusho. Both islands are crushed. Ramses has Elsdragon killed and rises to power.
- Argenti and Kusho are liberated. Ramses Overdark's manor is destroyed by Kolo Meha. Tetsuo Umezawa slays Ramses Overdark and Nicol Bolas.
- Ihsan visits Baron Sengir. He wants to be turned into a vampire so he has the strength to kill the Baron, but Sengir is on to him, and turns him into a Shade instead.
- Eron the Relentless steals a book of magic from Grandmother Sengir for Reveka. In exchange, Reveka casts an immortality spell on Eron.
- Urza gets Clan Capashen involved in the Bloodline project.
- Kreig becomes the ruler of Keld. Keld grows into a powerful nation and attracts Phyrexia's attention. Croag learns of the Bloodline project. Phyrexia begins its attacks on suspected Bloodline sites such as Keld, Benalia, and Yavimaya.
- Torrezon splits into three kingdoms, beginning the Apostasine Wars.
- Feroz dies in a lab accident. Serra leaves Ulgrotha and is killed on Dominaria by a 'walker who wants her ring. In her passing she blesses the land of Sursi to create a sanctuary against the dark forces that assailed her followers.
- Brother Angus starts building the Cathedral of Serra.
- Elenda of Garrano returns from Ixalan, ending the Apostasine Wars. The Church of Dusk unites power with Queen Miralda of Torrezon, forming the Legion of Dusk. With the sacrament of vampirism brought by Elenda, Torrezon becomes a powerful kingdom.
- Feroz's Ban collapses.
- Croag leads a major attack on Keld. Gatha and Kreig die. Croag is seriously injured. Phyrexia gains access to the ruins of Gatha's laboratory.
- Adam Carthalion, deceived by Ravidel, is on a quest to become a planeswalker. He wants to stop the new disaster that is about to happen on Dominaria according to the seers. On this quest he even sacrifices his own wife. Ravidel says he will make Adam a planeswalker if Adam sacrifices his son Jared. Adam refuses. The Battle of Aster Fall takes place.
- Ravidel discovers Jared Carthalion lives as a street urchin in Arathoxia and begins to send creatures after him.
- Ravidel launches an attack on Arathoxia. The Scarlet Vizier is killed in the attack, and Liana of Minorad joins Jared's side in the battle. They attack Ravidel's castle and leave him for dead.
- Jared is apprenticed to Kristina.
- Kristina and Jared discover Ravidel is fighting Liana over the Moxen. Liana gives them to Jared and fights Ravidel in the Abyss. Liana is killed.
- Jared and Kristina meet Grenfell Mor, who's been working on a spell to deactivate the Golgothian Sylex. Jared and Kristina become lovers.
- The Nightmare Caliphear frees Altair. The two join Jared and Kristina, and they attack Ravidel. The sylex is destroyed, but Ravidel gets away with the Moxen. Altair is killed.
- Ravidel erects the Mox Beacon, summoning the planeswalkers that once betrayed him to Corondor and stripping them of their powers.
- The planeswalkers race over the continent to retrieve their powers, which are scattered over the land. A massive war follows that destroys most of Corondor. The outcome is unknown.
- Rofellos fights Phyrexians in Yavimaya while Davvol overlaps it with Rath.
- Urza meets Lyna of the Soltari.
- Croag murders Davvol for his failures and his plans to kill Croag himself.
- The House of Oor-tael in Kush is destroyed during the Night of Fire. Kuthuman becomes a planeswalker.
- Destruction of White Ridge. The wizard Towser intends to sacrifice Greensleeves to steal her power, but his plans are thwarted by Gull, Lily and Greensleeves herself. The three vow to form an army to fight evil wizards.
- Rakel is blackmailed by Benalia into killing Gull and Greensleeves, but the two save her. Garth swears to resume his family duty and stop planeswalking.
- Chaney, before dying of old age, train Greensleeves in the ways of nature magic. Greensleeves becomes a druid.
- Greensleeves activates the Stone Brain and starts subduing and "tagging" evil wizards in order to stop them from doing harm.
- Battle of Lat-Nam.
- Greensleeves, Gull and Sparrowhawk are reunited.
- Greensleeves becomes a planeswalker, but she sacrifices her spark to heal the poisoned and ill land of Lat-Nam island. She is declared High Wizard of the Domains.
- Mangara becomes one of the most powerful men in Zhalfir and even Jamuraa through politics. Mangara's Harmony begins. This golden age eventually ends with Mangara's imprisonment by Kaervek. So starts the Mirage War.
- Crovax born.
- Vuel born.
- Sisay born.
- Gerrard born.
- Later, Phyrexia invades Benalia. Karn rescues Gerrard and brings him to Sidar Kondo.
- Ertai born
- Tahngarth born.
- Sisay becomes a cabin 'boy' aboard a pirate ship after being freed from a slaver's ship.
The War Years (4195 AR to 4205 AR)[edit | edit source]
- The Mirage War ends. Asmira sacrifices herself to free Mangara. Teferi repairs the timeline. Several years later, Sisay meets Tahngarth.
- Squee born.
- Vuel fails his rite of maturity because of Starke's meddling. He leaves the Kondo clan and, influenced by Starke, steals the Legacy from Gerrard. Karn is deactivated. Vuel wages war against his father and kills him. Phyrexia approaches Vuel. Vuel becomes the new Evincar of Rath: Volrath.
- Rofellos is killed during a Phyrexian attack on Urborg. Gerrard, Crovax, and Mirri leave the crew.
- Astor becomes a Keldon Warlord.
- Astor battles Skouras the dragon.
- Volrath abducts Sisay. The Weatherlight crew picks up Gerrard, Ertai, Starke, Mirri and Crovax and planeshifts to Rath.
- Keld invades Jamuraa in the Prophecy War.
- The Weatherlight crew frees Sisay. Crovax kills Selenia, placing the curse of vampirism on himself. Crovax kills Mirri. Ertai and Crovax are left on Rath. Weatherlight leaves for Mercadia.
Phyrexian Invasion (4205 AR to 4306 AR)[edit | edit source]
- The Weatherlight crew defeats the Phyrexians in Mercadia.
- Volrath is killed. Ertai is corrupted by the Phyrexians. Crovax is named the new evincar of Rath.
- The Phyrexian Invasion starts. Urza assembles the Nine Titans. Hanna is killed by a Phyrexian plague. Orim finds a cure for the plague.
- Benalia is destroyed. Llanowar is severely damaged. Takara is killed. Barrin commits suicide by obliterating all of Tolaria. The Battle of Koilos takes place. The portal to Phyrexia is closed.
- The Rathi Overlay begins.
- Tevesh Szat betrays the Titans and kills Daria and Kristina. Szat gets Darigaaz to make the Primevals rise again. Karn talks sense into Darigaaz. Darigaaz dives into a volcano to break the link of the Primevals. Rith and Crosis are imprisoned again. Dromar and Treva are destroyed. Weatherlight is destroyed. Urza kills Szat and powers the soul bombs. Gerrard and Squee are captured by Ertai.
- Urza joins Phyrexia and kills Taysir. Gerrard joins Phyrexia and battles Urza.
- Gerrard decapitates Urza. Gerrard turns against Phyrexia again and is transported back to the Stronghold. Gerrard kills Crovax. Squee kills Ertai.
- The remaining Titans activate the soul bombs. Phyrexia is almost completely destroyed.
- Karn's memory cap is removed. He discovers a new way to read the Thran Tome. Weatherlight is reborn.
- Multani transplants part of Yavimaya to the borders of Urborg. Dwarves make the volcano in which the Stronghold is now situated erupt.
- Yawgmoth enters Dominaria as a death cloud. Eladamri, Lin Sivvi, Bo Levar and Commodore Guff die, along with what is surely billions of Dominarians.
- The Legacy is completed. Yawgmoth is slain by the combined power of The Legacy. Karn ascends.
- Freyalise erects the Martyrs' Tomb.
- Tanhgarth, Sisay, and Squee get a new ship. Orim marries Cho-Manno.
- Chainer discovers the Mirari. Kirtar and Aboshan try to use the Mirari, but are killed in the process.
- Balthor defeats Burke, becoming a zombie in the process. Kamahl goes into the Krosan Forest to look for Thriss.
- Jeska is brought to Seton after a Mirari-influenced Kamahl strikes her. Kamahl kills the zombie Balthor and Laquatus. Kamahl becomes a druid and leaves the Mirari in Krosa.
- The Mirari's mutating waves spread across Otaria.
- Braids kills Seton and brings Jeska to the Cabal Patriarch.
The Rift Era (4306 AR to 4500 AR)[edit | edit source]
- Leshrac frees the Weaver King from the Stronghold.
4306, Karona's War
- Thousands of Dominarians immigrate to Otaria.
- Jeska becomes Phage and kills Nivea. Ixidor creates Akroma. Kamahl and Phage lead a war against Ixidor and Akroma. Phage creates the Deathwurms. Ixidor is devoured by a deathwurm. Kamahl goes into exile in Krosa.
- Zagorka discovers the city of Averru. Kuberr is reborn out of the union between Phage and the Cabal Patriarch. Lowallyn is reincarnated in the form of Ixidor after he leaves the deathwurm.
- Akroma and Phage finish their war in Averru. Kamahl slays Phage, Akroma, and Zagorka. Karona is born.
- Karona leaves Dominaria, leaving it without mana. After a meeting with Karn, Karona returns to Dominaria, where she destroys Aphetto and the Grand Coliseum, kills Llowalyn and Kuberr, and trashes Averru. Sash and Waistcoat kill Karona.
- Jeska ascends. Karn takes her to Argentum. Karn turns the Mirari into Memnarch. Phyrexian Oil pollutes Argentum.
- The Ur-Golems have a wondrous society on Mirrodin, until Memnarch destroys them.
- Memnarch brings many living things to Mirrodin via the Soul Traps.
- The Phyrexian oil creates the Mycosynth and makes sure the line between artificial and natural creatures starts to blur on Mirrodin.
- Memnarch thinks Karn visits him regularly, but that's just delusions. He subconsciously excludes the real Karn from Mirrodin. Memnarch wants to become a planeswalker and starts to launch the Moons of Mirrodin: gigantic artificial mana batteries that will power Mirrodin after it is turned into a machine to transfer the planeswalker's spark of one of Mirrodin's inhabitants into Memnarch.
- Glissa starts to uncover the mysteries of Mirrodin. The final moon of Mirrodin is launched. Yert dethrones Geth. The Mephidross expands rapidly. Glissa is caught in a temporal trap.
- Memnarch transports Glissa's spark to his own body, but both die before the process is completed. All life on Mirrodin ends. Slobad gets the spark and ascends.
- Karn returns to Mirrodin. Slobad gives up his spark to resurrect all people on Mirrodin and transport the original generations home. Karn turns Memnarch back into the Mirari.
- Slobad, Glissa and Geth's decapitated head are left on Mirrodin by Karn to guard the Mirari. Slobad is almost immediately killed by goblins. Glissa flees into the heart of Mirrodin, where she is captured by Phyrexians and is compleated. Geth flees to the Mephidross and begins his partnership with Phyrexia.
- Teysa Karlov is born. The magelord Zomaj Hauc detonates his new mana bomb above Utvara.
- The Ravnican Decamillennial occurs. Szadek's machinations directly lead to the destruction of the Guildpact. A new, non-magical Guildpact is written. It is unknown at exactly which time these events occurred, but it is known that the new Guildpact was unsuccessful in maintaining the guilds' control.
Temporal crisis[edit | edit source]
- The collective impact of the Sylex Blast, the Shard, the Tolarian time travel experiments, the Rathi Overlay and Karona starts to be felt, as mana-sucking rifts begin to open all over Dominaria. Magic, time and reality becomes increasingly unstable, and it is more difficult to planeswalk on Dominaria.
- Teferi, Jhoira and a pair of Viashino and Ghitus return from their self-imposed exile to find Dominaria in a state of decay. Teferi begins work to try to return Zhalfir and Shiv to Dominaria without further damaging the plane.
- Nicol Bolas is revived.
- Teferi gives up his spark in order to close the Shivan time rift. Freyalise dies closing the Skyshroud rift. Lord Windgrace imbues Urborg with his essence and dies closing the Urborg rift. Karn disappears after closing the Tolarian rift. Nicol Bolas destroys the Honden of Night's Reach and turns the Myojin's followers against her.
- Jeska falls under the manipulation of Leshrac. She closes the rift over Zhalfir, but ends up destroying Zhalfir in the process. She then closes the rift over Yavimaya, but damages the ecosystem and possibly destroys Multani. She attempts to close the rift over Madara, but Leshrac's plot is revealed. He attacks Nicol Bolas with an artifact given to him by the Myojin of Night's Reach. Bolas is able to beat Leshrac using the actual mask of Night's Reach. He uses an enthralled Leshrac to close the Madaran rift.
- Jeska gives her life to close the final rift over Otaria.
The Mending Era (4500 AR to Present)[edit | edit source]
- The Great Mending takes place: all remaining fractures to heal, first in Dominaria then spreading throughout the Multiverse in a chain reaction. Mana again flows freely throughout Dominaria, returning life and hope to the dying world. Planeswalkers lose their immortality and godlike powers and much of their additional magic power. All existing means of travelling between planes without a spark cease to function.
- Teferi sets out to become a mage of Suq'Ata. Jhoira meets with a man claiming to be Jodah. Radha unifies the Keldons and remaining Skyshroud Elves. Venser departs Dominaria to explore the planes.
- On Kaladesh, Avaati Vya manages to successfully refine aether. An era of prosperity called the Great Aether Boom follows.
- On Ravnica, Agyrem is split off from Ravnica.
- On Amonkhet, Nicol Bolas arrives and destroys the civilization there to make way for his own plans.
- Oona's acts of interfering with Lorwyn's natural linear progression are ended by the rebellion put into motion by Colfenor. Oona's duplicate, Maralen, assumes control of the plane with the help of Colfenor's sapling and the elemental Ashling. Maralen restores the normal flow of day and night over the plane.
- Nissa Revane journeys to Lorwyn before the great Aurora and studies black mana under the elves of the Gilt Leaf.
- Angrath becomes trapped on Ixalan.
- Tacenda Verlasen and her sister Willia are born in Kessig, Innistrad.
- Baral torches Bunarat on Kaladesh to capture the young pyromancer Chandra Nalaar. She ignites in the moment of her execution.
- Elspeth Tirel arrives on Bant and begins to train as a knight.
- Sarkhan Vol arrives on Jund.
- The events of the 'past' sections of Agents of Artifice occur.
- The Purifying Fire occurs.
- The events of the 'present' sections of Agents of Artifice occur.
- The events of Alara Unbroken occur.
- Sarkhan Vol becomes a vassal of Nicol Bolas shortly before the reunification of the shards of Alara upon Jund.
- Bolas reaps the seeds of war as the fractured Shards of Alara reunite. The energy from the resulting Maelstrom is absorbed by Bolas, and returns some (perhaps all) of the power he lost in the Mending. Bolas fights Ajani Goldmane and is driven from the plane. The rest of the unified Alara is embroiled in a worldwide war between the former shards. Elspeth Tirel flees to Urborg after the Conflux.
- Liliana Vess takes control of the Chain Veil. She uses its power to overthrow Kothophed, one of her demon masters. Sarkhan is sighted tracking Liliana.
- Garruk Wildspeaker runs afoul of Liliana and becomes cursed. He turns to Jace to find Liliana, interrupting his research of the Dragon Scroll that Chandra had stolen from Kephalai.
- The archangel Avacyn and the demon Griselbrand, to whom Liliana owes a portion of her soul, disappear from the plane of Innistrad.
- Chandra surfaces on Zendikar looking for a ruin sage named Anowon, and with him, searches for the Eye of Ugin. They encounter Sarkhan once they reach the eye and he plans to sacrifice Chandra for unknown reasons. Jace appears and assists Chandra, striking an uneasy truce to defeat Sarkhan. Their actions trigger a reaction in the Hedrons surrounding the Eye. Chandra and Sarkhan leave the plane the same day, Jace leaves 2 weeks later.
- Sarkhan returns to Bolas's Meditation Realm to inform the dragon of the events that transpired at the Eye. Bolas reveals Tezzeret's body, in the midst of being rebuilt, to Sarkhan.
- Bolas finishes his efforts to restore Tezzeret's mind and body, giving him the task to find the secret of Etherium from Crucius the Mad. Ultimately successful, Bolas then sends Tezzeret to Mirrodin, having become aware of the Phyrexian taint spreading on that plane.
- Koth encounters Elspeth and Venser on Urborg. He enlists their help in dealing with the phyrexian corruption taking place on Mirrodin. Ultimately, weeks (if not months) later, they succeed in freeing Karn at the cost of Venser's life.
- The events of In the Teeth of Akoum occur.
- Nissa Revane and her Tajuru allies are attacked by Eldrazi brood lineage. Sorin Markov shows up and deals with the remaining brood, recovering Anowon after 3 months of enslavement by the Eldrazi in the process. Nissa agrees to lead him to Akoum. Upon arrival, the elf and the vampire argue with each other, which results in Nissa breaking the central hedron in the Eye of Ugin. The Eldrazi Titans are freed.
- Gideon Jura followed Chandra to Zendikar, but lost her track around the Eye of Ugin. He stayed at Fort Keff and defeated a handful of brood lineage that attacked the fort. Upon seeing Emrakul on the horizon, he fled, knowing he didn't stand a chance against the monstrosity. He leaves Zendikar for Ravnica to petition the help of an organization of planeswalkers.(Presumably, the Infinite Consortium).
- Sorin returns to his homeplane of Innistrad after the fiasco on Zendikar to find it destroying itself.
- Niv-Mizzet begins extensive research into the nature of the Implicit Maze, appointing Ral Zarek as the lead researcher.
- Gideon Jura arrives on Ravnica to find tensions increasing amid the rise of the Gateless and the resurgence of the guilds. Knowing he has little choice, he places his search for allies on hold, having had little success anyways.
- Garruk pursues Liliana to Innistrad, intent on having her remove his curse or killing her for inflicting it upon him. After a few months of searching, Liliana tracks Griselbrand's disappearance to the Helvault and manipulates Thalia into destroying it.
- Jace finishes his own research concerning the Implicit Maze. Shocked by the answers he discovered, he erases his own memory, effectively losing 6 months of his life. However, the activities of House Dimir draw him back in. Niv-Mizzet orchestrates the running of the Implicit Maze. Jace becomes the Living Guildpact (10,075 Z.C.).
- Elesh Norn seizes power over the red and black factions of New Phyrexia.
- Koth attempts to assassinate the ascendant Elesh Norn with an incredibly powerful spellbomb, forcing Elspeth to leave New Phyrexia for Theros. Koth escaped alive into the bowels of the furnace layers. He hopes that the Mirran resistance can one day overthrow the Phyrexians.
- Xenagos enacts his plans to manipulate the gods into confronting each other, forcing Kruphix to enact the Silence, removing them from Theros and leaving his path open to ascend to godhood. Following a battle in Akros, Xenagos ascends in the Great Revel, throwing off the balance of power in Theros. Alongside Ajani, Elspeth Tirel enters the realm of Nyx to topple the new god though it ultimately costs her life.
- Sorin Markov arrives on Tarkir and releases Ugin from the hedron cocoon. Sorin tells Ugin about the release of the Eldrazi, and Ugin dismisses him and demands that he seek out Nahiri.
- Sarkhan Vol returns to the present; Tarkir's clans are ruled by dragonlords. He seeks out Ugin and explains his own role in the release of the Eldrazi, and in saving Ugin's life. He leaves Ugin and meets with Narset, a planeswalker he had met in an alternate timeline.
- These events happened in an alternate timeline Tarkir:
- Sorin Markov arrives on Tarkir and seeks out Ugin. He discovers that Ugin is long dead, and despairs of saving the multiverse from the Eldrazi.
- Sarkhan Vol, drawn by a voice in his mind, planeswalks to Tarkir and seeks Ugin. He is joined by Narset, who is merely a monk in this timeline. When they arrive at Ugin's tomb, Zurgo Helmsmasher attacks them and kills Narset. Sarkhan enters a time portal and arrives in Tarkir's past, around the year 3285, where he alters the plane's timeline by saving Ugin's life after a duel with Nicol Bolas. The resulting temporal anomaly forcibly returns him to a modified present-day Tarkir.
- In the Battle for Zendikar the Zendikar resistance army led by Gideon Jura, Nissa Revane and Kiora assaults and recaptures Sea Gate from the Ulamog brood.
- Ob Nixilis destroys the hedron network meant to capture Ulamog. He regains his planeswalker's spark and is scared away by Chandra Nalaar.
- Gideon Jura, Jace Beleren, Chandra Nalaar and Nissa Revane form the Gatewatch.
- The Gatewatch defeats Kozilek and Ulamog. The two Eldrazi titans are incinerated and destroyed.
- Davriel Cane arrives on Innistrad
- Nahiri calls the third Eldrazi titan, Emrakul, forth to Innistrad to take a revenge on Sorin Markov for imprisoning her in the Helvault. Emrakul's corruption leads to the death of Avacyn and the creation of many mutated horrors.
- Aided by Tamiyo and Liliana Vess, the Gatewatch fights Emrakul. Emrakul is sealed in Innistrad's moon. Liliana formally joins the Gatewatch.
- Liliana investigates the presence of Tezzeret on Kaladesh. The Gatewatch aids the Renegades in their rebellion against the Consulate. They are joined by Ajani Goldmane, who becomes an official member. Tezzeret steals the Planar Bridge from the Inventors' Fair for his master Nicol Bolas.
- On Amonkhet, the Gatewatch discoveres that Bolas is creating an army of Eternals; highly trained fighting specialists which had been zombified while keeping their skills intact. Liliana Vess kills the demon Razaketh. The Hour of Devastation occurs. When the Gatewatch confronts the dragon, they are soundly defeated.
- Seriously wounded, Jace flees to Ixalan, where he is trapped by the power of the Immortal Sun. He defeats Azor and becomes romantically involved with Vraska. Tezzeret steals the Immortal Sun from Orazca.
- On Dominaria, the Gatewatch joins with the planeswalkers Jaya Ballard and Karn to fight Belzenlok's Cabal. Teferi regains his planeswalker's spark and formally joins, while Nissa leaves. Jhoira raises the Skyship Weatherlight and forms a new Weatherlight crew. Belzenlok is defeated with help of the Blackblade. Nicol Bolas takes control of Liliana Vess.
- On Ravnica, tensions between the guilds rise, as Nicol Bolas has been warping them to his needs. They also fight internally between the forces pulling them toward or away from Bolas's influence.
War of the Spark[edit | edit source]
- The War of the Spark takes place on Ravnica.
Notes on the timeline[edit | edit source]
Since some parts of the timeline are open to interpretation this section was created to show which of them could be different, and why the current version was chosen. This section will not include an argumentation for all dates and the placing of undated events, because dates are often just given in the books, and most undated events have to have happened between certain dated events because of the characters or nations present.
The Thran[edit | edit source]
The book "The Thran" gives dates of all events in the "The Time of the Thran" part of this timeline in relation to the Thran-Phyrexian War (9 years prior, 2 years prior, etc.). The date for the war itself is given in Apocalypse, where Yawgmoth says the war ended 9000 years ago. For this timeline, the Thran-Phyrexian War has been estimated to happen 5000 before the Brothers' War. Consequently, all the events narrated in the books are here reported following the same description provided in "The Thran", and under the summary indication of happening around -5000 A.R.. So all dates in the "The Time of the Thran" section are correct in relation to each other, but they could be some years off in relation to the other dates on the timeline. Note that in Invasion, Tsabo Tavoc said the Thran-Phyrexian War ended 6,000 years ago. Since Yawgmoth was there, his statements have been taken over those of Tsabo.
The Art of Magic: the Gathering - Dominaria places the 'Time of the Thran' lists it as 'Up to around 5,000 AR', ending with the Thran-Phyrexia War, placing this date officially at about 5,000 AR.
Arabian Nights[edit | edit source]
The dates of the events of Arabian Nights comic and life of Taysir are roughly estimated, based on The Story of the Battlemage Ravidel, which places birth of Taysir soon after the end of the Brothers' War. Refraction of Rabiah happened still in his infancy. He left the plane as an adult, about three decades later (although it's only an impression of his age derived from the art in the comic). Some sources place Antiquities War comic after Arabian Nights, but one of them also reminds that in fact, the Antiquities War comic is a narrative made by Taysir after he was trapped in the Shard and researched the mysteries of this ancient conflict.
Homelands events[edit | edit source]
The WotC Timeline places it between 3800 and 4130. The timeline in the Homelands comic gives no dates in A.R., but gives a chronology of events that takes 600 years, far longer than the 330 years in the WotC timeline. Placing 3800 as the 'Present Day' of the Homelands timeline is the only interpretation of the official timeline that works with what we know of The Kami War. Because this event has to happen at least 1,000 years before 4306 AR (according to Bolas in Future Sight), the only reasonable assumption is that the ‘current’ date for the Homelands timeline is 3800, not 4196. Serra's death has been placed as 3780 AR, confirming this interpretation of the timeline.
Kamigawa dates[edit | edit source]
In Time Spiral, Nicol Bolas states: "The schism became a source of misery before Karona’s War by a millennium or more. When poor, mad little Ravi rang her terrible bell and the Garden ceased to exist, the echoes of that destructive chime reached far and wide, all the way to the Talon Gates and the rift they attend. The tolling of Ravi’s chime opened the rift wider and deeper, extending it all the way across the cosmos to another realm." This line establishes The Apocalypse Chime has happening AT LEAST a millennia before the Karona’s War (3306 AR). It also had to happen after Ravi rung the Apocalypse Chime, placing it where it ended up.
The Reckoning of the Sages of Minorad[edit | edit source]
Many prerevisionist events have been given in this reckoning, but they are often just plain wrong in revisionist continuity. The Fallen Empires comic says it takes place over a millennium before the Ice Age, while post-rev sources put it only 280 years prior to the ice. Another big event, the Planeswalker War on Corondor, is said to have happened more than a millennia after the gathering of the sages, but this would put it after the Phyrexian invasion, and since several planeswalker that died during the invasion are mayor players in the 'walkers war this can be considered an obsolete date.
Most events have been given a post-rev date by WotC because they are tied to a set and thus on their official timeline (such as Fallen Empires and Homelands). The Shadow Mage, Wayfarer and the Planeswalker War had for a long time not been given an official date, but because we know how much time happens between them, we can deduce their post-rev dates: the War happens 70 years after Sandruu's banishment and Wayfarer in the same year as the war. The chapters of Shadow Mage each give the age of Jared Carthalion at that time, and since his age is given as 16 in Wayfarer, the placing of those chapters can be deduced as well. The Planeswalker War has now officially been given a date between 4195 AR and 4205 AR.
Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
The events of Mirrodin were a continuity problem. The flavor text of several cards in Mirrodin mention the events of the Mirrodin Cycle taking place millennia after Karn's disappearance from the plane. However, the events of Planar Chaos make it obvious that Mirrodin took place before the Time Spiral Cycle. Karn states that the plane hasn't seen conflict in a century. However it was stated that the rifts allowed Memnarch's delusions to become quasi-real. So one can deduce that thousands of years played out in the golem's mind, while on the outside only a few hundred years have passed.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
In the story Family Values, Teysa Karlov states "I am one hundred and twelve years old," and in the novel Guildpact, Uncle Karlov states "I purchased it many years ago, not long before you were born", with “It” referencing Uncle Karlov’s purchase of Utvara in 9965 Z.C. If Teysa is 112 in approximately 4558 AR (when Return to Ravnica occurs), that means she was born in the equivalent of 4446 AR. There is about a two year margin of error here, and it's not clear when exactly Family Values takes place, but it's not long after RtR. This establishes that Ravnican years pass at approximately the same rate as Dominarian years, as this still allows the events of the original Ravnica Cycle to occur before the Mending.
The D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica etablishes the Ravnica year of the Guilds of Ravnica block as 10,076, placing the events of the original Ravnica block 76 years in the past. The guide also confirms that Ravnican years are 365 days long.
Lorwyn[edit | edit source]
In Homesick, Nissa states "But her friend—her best friend, her constant companion for two score years—couldn't answer." Nissa's Origin: Home is when she first awakens her animist powers, which would be two score (or 40 years) previous to Homesick. The Great Aurora occurs during Nissa's Origin, placing Lorwyn as occuring 40 years before Kaladesh.
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
The events of the Zendikar storyline can only vaguely be established thanks to Chandra's theft of the scroll in The Purifying Fire and Jace's experiences working as an agent of the Consortium to retrieve the scroll that Chandra stole. Roughly 3 years passed since Chandra acquired the scroll the first time, and Sarkhan Vol's presence tracking Chandra (apparently there for less than a year) indicates that the Zendikar story takes place after Alara as well.
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
Innistrad[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Teri McLaren (1996). The Cursed Land. Harper Prism
- Lynn Abbey (1998). Planeswalker. Wizards of the Coast
- James Wyatt (June 17, 2015). "Liliana's Origin: The Fourth Pact". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Kate Elliott (June 13, 2018). "Chronicle of Bolas: The Twins". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- James Wyatt (2018), The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Dominaria. VIZ Media.
- Wizards of the Coast (March 29, 2003). "Card of the Day". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- J. Robert King (2003), Legions. Wizards of the Coast.
- Martha Wells (March 28, 2018). "Return to Dominaria Episode 3". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Scott McGough, John Delaney (2007), Future Sight. Wizards of the Coast.
- Cory J. Herndon (2006), Guildpact. Wizards of the Coast.
- Cory J. Herndon. (2005.) "Ravnica", Wizards of the Coast.
- J. Robert King (1999), The Thran. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jerry Prosser, Rags Morales, and Barbara Kaalberg (June 1996) Dakkon Blackblade. ARMADA.
- Nancy Collins, Richard Kane Ferguson, Dennis Calero, and Don Perlin (May 1996), Fallen Angel. ARMADA.
- Art Holcomb and Doug Tropea-Wheatley (May 1996), Elder Dragons #2. ARMADA.
- Kevin Maples, Jeffrey Gomez, Alex Maleev, and Rodney Ramos (September 1995). Fallen Empires #1. Armada.
- Kelly Digges (October 29, 2014). "The Lithomancer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeff Grubb (1998). The Brothers' War. Wizards of the Coast.
- Scott McGough (2006). Time Spiral. Wizards of the Coast.
- Teri McLaren (1996). Magic: The Gathering - Song of Time
- Susan Wright, Jeofrey Vita, Alexander Maleev, Rodney Ramos, and Michael Tuccinard (December 1995). Arabian Nights #1. ARMADA.
- Susan Wright, Jeofrey Vita, Alexander Maleev, Rodney Ramos, and Michael Tuccinard (January 1996). Arabian Nights #2. ARMADA.
- Jeff Grubb. (1999.) "Loran's Smile", The Colors of Magic, Wizards of the Coast.
- Sonia Orin Lyris (1996). Magic: The Gathering - And Peace Shall Sleep. Harper Prism.
- Richard Thames Rowan. "Encyclopedia Dominia - Return of the Empress (archived)", Duelist Online. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta (June 7, 2007). "Tea and Biscuits with Pete Venters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeff Grubb. (1999.) "The Gathering Dark", Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeff Grubb (2000). The Eternal Ice. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeffrey Gomez, Jeofrey Vita, Rafael Kayanan, and Rodney Ramos (July 1995). Ice Age #1. Armada.
- Clayton Emery (2001). Jedit. Wizards of the Coast.
- Paul B. Thompson (2002). Secrets of Magic, For Want of Ink. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeffrey Gomez, Jeofrey Vita, Rafael Kayanan, and Rodney Ramos (September 1995). Ice Age #3. Armada.
- Jeffrey Gomez, Jeofrey Vita, Rafael Kayanan, and Rodney Ramos (October 1995). Ice Age #4. Armada.
- David Quinn and Bo Hampton (March 1996). Shandalar #1. Armada.
- David Quinn and Bo Hampton (April 1996). Shandalar #2. Armada.
- Creative Services (1997) Magic: the Gathering (Manual). Microprose.
- Jeff Grubb (2000). The Shattered Alliance. Wizards of the Coast
- Mark Rosewater (July 3, 2006). Of Ice and Men, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- William R. Forstchen (1994). Magic: The Gathering - Arena. Harper Prism.
- R&D Narrative Team (January 31, 2018). "Sabotage". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- From the Library of Leng: Serra Angel
- Kimberly J. Kreines (December 14, 2014). "A New Tarkir of Old". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- R&D Narrative Team (January 24, 2018). "The Arbiter of Law Left Chaos in His Wake". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Time Streams
- Legends Cycle I
- Matt Cavotta (February 15, 2006). "The Royal Bloodline (Emphasis on the blood)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ken Troop (March 9, 2016). "A Gaze Blank and Pitiless". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- The Shadow Mage
- Family Man - The Secrets of Magic
- Clayton Emery (1994). Magic: The Gathering - Whispering Woods. Harper Prism.
- Clayton Emery (1994). Magic: The Gathering - Shattered Chains. Harper Prism.
- Clayton Emery (1995). Magic: The Gathering - Final Sacrifice. Harper Prism.
- Chainer's Torment
- The Moons of Mirrodin
- Blake Rasmussen (March 29, 2018). "Dominaria Card of the Day: The Mirari Conjecture". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Alison Luhrs (September 21, 2016). "Born of Aether". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (June 10, 2015). "Chandra's Origin: Fire Logic". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Test of Metal
- R&D Narrative Team (January 17, 2018). "Glimpse the Far Side of the Sun". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brandon Sanderson (2018). "Children of the Nameless". Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer (August 11, 2009). "The Veil's Curse". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jenna Helland (August 13, 2008). "The Veil's Curse". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Domineer, Ur-Golem's Eye
- You Are a Planeswalker
- Alison Luhrs (November 11, 2015). "Family Values". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- "What's this?" he asked, pointing. "Why did your people remove the symbol?" "Well," Tacenda said, "after that business last year, the prioress decided..." "Business last year?" Davriel said with a frown. "What business is this?" "With the angels?" Tacenda said He shook his head, then glanced at Miss Highwater, who seemed amused. Even Crunchgnar raised an eyebrow