Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
Time Spiral block
Sets[edit | edit source]
All of the expansion names in this block are also names of cards (although not from this block).
Themes and keywords[edit | edit source]
The theme of this block is Time; Past, Present and Future. Timeshifted cards are part of that theme. 121 Cards from the past were timeshifted into Time Spiral (e.g. Unstable Mutation). 45 cards were "alternate reality" timeshifted in Planar Chaos (e.g. white's Wrath of God was timeshifted to a black Damnation). 81 cards were "futureshifted" into Future Sight (that have not been printed before but may appear in a future set; e.g. Boldwyr Intimidator was later printed in Morningtide).
- This block introduced the two Artifact subtypes, Fortifications and Contraptions, in addition to the first Tribal card. These were futureshifted in Future Sight.
- Keywords introduced in this block: Split second, Suspend, Vanishing
- Futureshifted keywords: Absorb, Aura swap, Delve, Fateseal, Fortify, Frenzy, Grandeur, Gravestorm, Poisonous, Transfigure, Typecycling
- Evergreen keywords introduced: Deathtouch, Flash, Lifelink, Reach, Shroud
- Keywords reused from the past: Bloodthirst, Buyback, Convoke, Cycling, Double strike, Dredge, Echo, Flanking, Flashback, Graft, Hellbent, Indestructible, Kicker, Landcycling, Madness, Morph, Rampage, Scry, Shadow, Storm, Transmute (No keywords from the Kamigawa block were reused).
Mega cycles[edit | edit source]
|Modernized Dominarian Legendary Lands||Flagstones of Trokair (Time Spiral)||Academy Ruins (Time Spiral) [inspired by Tolarian Academy]||Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (Planar Chaos) [inspired by Urborg]||Kher Keep (Time Spiral)||Pendelhaven (Timeshifted)|
|A cycle of five legendary lands, several which were previously done in another form to help show the degradation of Dominaria. This is the first time a specific Legendary Land has been featured in two different cycles.|
|Ezrith- cycle||Premature Burial (Time Spiral)||Cradle to Grave (Planar Chaos)||Grave Peril (Future Sight)|
|A cycle of black cards that cost and destroy a nonblack creature at different points in time. Premature Burial (Time Spiral) destroys a creature in the past, Cradle to Grave (Planar Chaos) destroys a creature during the same turn and Grave Peril (Future Sight) will destroy a nonblack creature in the future. All three cards bear flavor text attributed to a character by the name of Ezrith, druid of the Dark Hours.|
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (June 17, 2013). "Modern Tales, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 9, 2016). "Because Salt Makes Mistakes Taste Great". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (May 09, 2007). "Killing Creatures in Past, Present and Future". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.