Throne of Eldraine
|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Throne of Eldraine|
|Symbol description||Crown, sword and knight's tabbard|
Mark Rosewater (lead)|
Mark Gottlieb (lead)|
Erik Lauer (lead)
|Art direction||Cynthia Sheppard|
|Release date||October 4, 2019|
|Adventure, Food, Knights and Faeries.|
or ability words
|Set size||269 + TBA|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Reprinted cards
- 5 Preconstructed decks
- 6 Notable cards
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Throne of Eldraine is a top-down designed set, inspired by the romantic Arthurian legend of Camelot on one hand and Grimms' Fairy Tales on the other. Besides Grimm, the set covers a range of European fairy tales that come from a variety of sources. Mark Rosewater stated that he had been waiting 10 years to do a Grimm's world, comparing it to the Lorwyn–Shadowmoor block that had erred in being too true to the source material rather than hitting the tropes that players knew. Most of the top-down designs are fairy tale, but more of the nuts and bolts cards are Arthurian.
The main set contains 269 cards (20 basic lands, 101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares), and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all these cards. Additional cards are found in the set's collector boosters, planeswalker decks and brawl decks. A unique Buy-a-Box promotional card is also considered to be part of the set. As of this set, the additional cards are numbered sequentially but don't feature the denominator anymore. So collector numbers like "307/300" are a thing of the past. Cards with alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. Borderless planeswalkers are numbered #270-272, Showcase cards are numbered #273-302, the Buy-a-Box is #303, planeswalker deck cards are numbered #304-313 and brawl deck cards are numbered #314-333. Finally extended artwork cards are numbered #334-384. Both regular and foil versions of these cards may be found in the collector boosters.
The set is accompanied by an Ebook written by Kate Elliott, for sale on Amazon and other webshops. This will be the only way to go deeper than the cards and read the full Throne of Eldraine story. Wizards of the Coast announced that the Magic story will now be told through e-books rather than weekly episodic stories and that The Wildered Quest is the first example of this change in how Magic’s story will be told.
The plane of Eldraine is a high-fantasy medieval world filled with knights and castles along with Magic's take on the genre of fairy tales. The key conflict of Eldraine is the five knightly courts vs. the magical creatures of the Wilds.
There don't seem to be any Story Spotlight cards.
Throne of Eldraine is sold in regular 16-card regular boosters (one card being a marketing card), five single color Theme Boosters, two Planeswalker Decks, four Brawl Decks, and the Throne of Eldraine bundle. The regular boosters, now rebranded as Draft Boosters, form a lineup with the Theme Boosters and with new Collector Boosters. The Draft Booster has the possibility of containing borderless planeswalkers or special new showcase cards.
The Showcase frame is a catch-all term to cover a variety of different treatments that embody the spirit of the relevant set. The art and frame will play into the set's theme (in this case it frames the card boxes with green vines). Each set will have its own unique showcase cards. Which cards get the treatment (and usually, it will just be cards from that set), and at what rarity, will vary from set to set. Showcase cards replace cards of the same rarity as the non showcase card in packs. The showcase cards don’t require a mechanic with a new frame. That just happens to be the case for Throne of Eldraine. The Showcase cards replace cards of the same rarity as the non showcase card in packs. There are no non-foil common showcase cards in booster packs. Those appear only in the Collector Booster. Every rare or mythic rare from the set that doesn't already have a variant frame (meaning that it doesn't exist as a borderless planeswalker card or showcase card) will be available as extended-art cards. The extended-art cards are all rares and mythic rares and are only found in the Collector Booster.
The name of the set was revealed at the San Diego Comic-Con on July 18, 2019. An image of promotional flyers appeared on Reddit that same day. These featured art with faeries, leading to speculation that the set would have an emphasis on faeries. Mark Rosewater had to make a statement on Blogatog to do some expectation management. He noted that there are Faeries in the set, but nowhere at the volume or importance that people were assuming. Rosewater provided some more details on Saturday at the Magic panel. The panel wasn't live-streamed, but Wizards of the Coast tweeted it live and an article with the relevant info was posted later that night.
After a test run for Ravnica Allegiance, Wizards of the Coast introduced "Collector Boosters" as a regular feature for standard sets. The expected price range is between $20 to $25 per booster. They are only printed in English and Japanese, and will have a limited print run. The contents are
- 1 rare/mythic rare with extended-art
- 1 foil rare/mythic rare (may also be a borderless planeswalker, extended-art, or showcase card).
- 9 foil commons/uncommons (including variant versions)
- 3 non-foil special-frame cards (showcase or borderless planeswalker)
- 1 non-foil ancillary card (the Buy-a-Box card, a new card from the Planeswalker Decks, or a new card from the Brawl Decks)
- 1 foil token
The collector boosters are packaged 12 to a box.
- MTG Arena:
- Sealed three color decks Brawl format on September 4, 2019
- Full release on September 26, 2019
- Prerelease takes place on September 28-29, 2019.
- Draft Weekend: October 5–6, 2019
- Friday Night Magic begins: October 4, 2019
- Magic Weekend: Brawl: October 26–27, 2019
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare of Throne of Eldraine.
- Other events: cards from the Throne of Eldraine universal promo pack
- Buy-a-Box: Kenrith, the Returned King (foil). As a special celebration of the start of Collector Boosters, the Throne of Eldraine Buy-a-Box promotion also includes a Collector Booster.
- Bundle promo: foil alternate art TBA
- 0/1 Goat creature, created by Clackbridge Troll.
- 1/1 Human creature, created by Harmonious Archon, Inquisitive Puppet, Lovestruck Beast, Oakhame Ranger and Worthy Knight.
- 2/2 Knight creature with vigilance, created by Banish into Fable, Doom Foretold, Silverwing Squadron and The Circle of Loyalty.
- 1/1 Mouse creature, created by Enchanted Carriage.
- 1/1 Faerie creature with flying, created by Alela, Artful Provocateur, Faerie Formation and Stolen by the Fae.
- 1/1 Rat creature, created by Chittering Witch and Piper of the Swarm.
- 2/2 Bear creature, created by Flaxen Intruder.
- 1/1 Boar creature with "When this creature dies, create a Food token," created by Wolf's Quarry
- 7/7 Giant creature, for Giant Opportunity.
- 2/1 Human Cleric creature with lifelink and haste, created by Outlaws' Merriment.
- 1/2 Human Rogue creature with haste and "When this creature enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to any target," created by Outlaws' Merriment.
- 3/1 Human Warrior creature with trample and haste, created by Outlaws' Merriment.
- 2/2 Wolf creature with “When this creature dies, put a loyalty counter on each Garruk you control,” created by Garruk, Cursed Huntsman.
- Food artifact (1/4), created by Bake into a Pie, Curious Pair, Feasting Troll King, Fell the Pheasant, Gilded Goose, Gluttonous Troll, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Savvy Hunter, Taste of Death, Trail of Crumbs, Turn into a Pumpkin and Witch's Oven.
- Food artifact (2/4)
- Food artifact (3/4)
- Food artifact (4/4)
- Emblem for Garruk, Cursed Huntsman.
- On an Adventure marker for Adventure cards.
Themes and mechanics
Throne of Eldraine introduces the ability word Adamant; spells with Adamant have additional or alternative effects if you cast the spell with three or more mana of one color. Together with the hybrid mana in the set, Adamant encourages monocolor drafting.
Additionally, there are heavy tribal themes around Knights and Non-Humans. Knights appear in all five colors, but they have the most tribal synergy in white, black and red. There are also artifact- and enchantment-matters themes.
Throne of Eldraine features the following limited archetypes:
- : Artifacts and enchantments matters (Shinechaser)
- : Cards in both graveyards matter
- : Knights and Equipment (Steelclaw Lance)
- : Non-Human creatures (Grumgully, the Generous)
- : Adventures (Wandermare)
- : Knight-tribal attrition (Wintermoor Commander)
- : Two card draws per turn
- : Food (Savvy Hunter)
- : Knights go wide (Inspiring Veteran)
- : Ramp (Maraleaf Pixie)
Adventure is a new subtype, seen exclusively on instants and sorceries attached to creature cards. Casting the Adventure half of a card represents sending the creature on an adventure before putting it onto the battlefield. When the adventure resolves, the card is exiled. When exiled as part of the resolution, the creature may be cast from exile.
Throne of Eldriane has (at least) seven cycles.
|Common lands||Countryside Villa||Witch's Cottage|
|Description and notes: Five common monocolor lands. Each one has a basic land type, and only enters untapped if you control at least three other lands of that type.|
|Uncommon knights||Syr Elenora, the Discerning||Syr Konrad, the Grim||Syr Carah, the Bold|
|Description and notes: Five uncommon legendary Human Knights, each of which cost MM.|
|Uncommon color hosers||Mystical Dispute||Specter's Shriek||Redcap Melee||Oakhame Adversary|
|Description and notes: Five uncommon spells, each of which gets better when played against cards of the same color.|
|Rare rulers||Gadwick, the Wizened||Ayara, First of Locthwain|
|Description and notes: Five rare legendary creatures, one for each court. Each requires three of a color mana to cast, and have an ability that cares about cards of that color.|
|Mythic artifacts||The Circle of Loyalty||The Magic Mirror||Embercleave|
|Description and notes: Five mythic legendary colored artifacts, one for each court. Each one has a cost reduction effect.|
|Gold signposts||Shinechaser||Steelclaw Lance||Grumgully, the Generous||Wandermare||Wintermoor Commander||Savvy Hunter||Inspiring Veteran||Maraleaf Pixie|
|Description and notes: Ten uncommon gold spells, each a signpost for a draft archetype.|
|Heavy hybrid uncommons||Arcanist's Owl||Covetous Urge||Elite Headhunter||Oakhame Ranger||Loch Dragon||Fireborn Knight||Thunderous Snapper|
|Description and notes: Ten uncommon hybrid spells, each costing four hybrid mana.|
The following cards have been reprinted from previous sets:
- Opt, first printed in Invasion, last seen in Dominaria
- Reave Soul, first printed in Magic Origins, last seen in Iconic Masters
- Return to Nature, first printed in War of the Spark.
- Righteousness, first printed in Alpha, last seen in Duel Decks: Heroes vs. Monsters.
- Sorcerous Spyglass , first printed in Ixalan.
Throne of Eldraine features two planeswalker decks:
|Rowan||W||R||Rowan, Fearless Sparkmage|
|Oko||U||G||Oko, the Trickster|
Throne of Eldraine introduces decks designed for the Brawl format. These 60-card decks use cards from throughout Standard, from Guilds of Ravnica all the way through Throne of Eldraine. There are 20 unique cards in these decks that aren't found in Draft Boosters (but they can still be found in Collector Boosters.) Each deck has seven of them — four cards unique to that deck, one card shared with one other Brawl Deck, and two cards shared with each other Brawl Deck. These cards are all legal in Standard, Brawl, and all other formats that allow the latest sets (or at least ones where cards in new sets are legal). A life wheel is included in the packaging.
|Wild Bounty||W||U||G||Chulane, Teller of Tales|
|Faerie Schemes||W||U||B||Alela, Artful Provocateur|
|Savage Hunger||B||R||G||Korvold, Fae-Cursed King|
|Knights' Charge||W||B||R||Syr Gwyn, Hero of Ashvale|
- The Player Spotlight card is Fervent Champion, which portraits Javier Dominguez, the World Champions of 2018.
- Through its inclusion in the Brawl Decks, Command Tower became Standard legal for the first time. However, it can't generate any mana outside of Brawl/Commander.
- Mark Rosewater (September 9, 2019). "Edraine or Shine". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (September, 2019). "Throne of Eldraine Credits". Magicthegathering.com.
- Mark Gottlieb (September 12, 2019). "The Adventure Adventure". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 19, 2019). "Whats the three letter abbreviation for thrones...". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Cody Gravelle (July 18, 2019). "Magic: The Gathering's Next Set Brings Back Faeries". Screenrant.com.
- David McCoy (July 18, 2019). "Magic’s Next Set Will be Throne of Eldraine". Hipsters of the Coast.
- Magic: the Gathering (July 20, 2019). "Throne of Eldraine is Magic's take on "Camelot meets Grimm's fairy tales."". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (July 21, 2019). "Goldilocks is not actually included in Grimm's Fairy Tales". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 23, 2019). "Are there some references to other fairy tales not popularized by the Brothers Grimm?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 25, 2012). "Has Wizards ever thought of doing a fairy tale based set? Not like Lorwyn but more like a dark grimm fairy tales like setting.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 21, 2019). "So, what is it about Eldraine that you've been waiting 10 years to do?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 24, 2019). "Did any development or world building happen in the 7(?) years before Eldraine went to Vision Design?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (November 08, 2014). "Being based on "Fairy Tails" and being based on Celtic lore, are practically the same thing.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 02, 2019). "About what percent is Throne of Eldraine Arthurian, and what percent is Fairy Tale?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Aaron Forsythe (July 22, 2019). "The main set cards have the denominator. Anything outside of the main set does not.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (July 21, 2019). "Project Booster Fun". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (July 25, 2019). "Announcing the Throne of Eldraine Ebook". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- “The Wildered Quest” by Kate Elliott Will Tell Throne of Eldraine’s Story, Releases September 4. Hipsters of the Coast (July 25, 2019).
- Mark Rosewater (July 21, 2019). "Do the showcase frames mean that we are going to see a mechanic with a unique frame in every set going forward?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 18, 2017). "Was the name of the set unintentionally leaked or was it going to be known before your panel?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- RicDan (July 18, 2019). "Set name for Archery Leaked from SDCC". Reddit.
- Mark Rosewater (July 18, 2019,). "Why is my twitter feed exploding with talk about faeries???". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 19, 2019). "If SDCC doesn’t allow streaming events, then may it’s not the right place?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Matt Tabak (September 4, 2019). "Throne of Eldraine Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 05, 2019). "Eldraine knights are W, B and R only?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Andrew Brown (September 13, 2019). "Adventuring in Standard and Limited". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- IGN (September 10, 2019). "Magic: The Gathering Throne of Eldraine - 4 New Cards Revealed". IGN.com.
- Mark Rosewater (September 08, 2019). "IS witches cottage part of a cycle?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Gavin Verhey (July 22, 2019). "A New Era of Brawl". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (September 6, 2019). "For all those wondering what the new life wheel in the MTG Eldraine Brawl Decks looks like... check it out!". Twitter.
- Aaron Forsythe (September 12, 2019). "I’ve missed showcasing players on cards since we stopped doing it years ago.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (September 04, 2019). "Brawl Precon decks (and the cards in them) are standard legal correct?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Throne of Eldraine Trailer
- Mechanic Spotlight: Adventures
- Mechanic Spotlight: Adamant
- Mechanic Spotlight: Food