|Last Used||Modern Horizons|
|Typical Text||Threshold — As long as there are seven or more cards in your graveyard, …|
22.4% 3.5% 23.5% 14.1% 25.9% 2.4% 1.2% 7.1%
Threshold indicates that an additional or different ability is available if the controller of the card with threshold has seven or more cards in their graveyard. It is written in one of the following ways:
- "Threshold — As long as there are seven or more cards in your graveyard, [static ability], [self-replacement], [activated ability] and/or [triggered ability]"
- "Threshold — [static ability], [self-replacement], [activated ability] and/or [triggered ability]. Activate this ability only if seven or more cards are in your graveyard"
Threshold was seen in all of the Odyssey block, and made a reappearance on a single card in Modern Horizons. Before its return, Deep-Sea Terror from Magic Origins essentially featured the mechanic, but without the ability word.
Several related "threshold mechanics" allow a card to swap between various states based on some external criteria somewhere in the game. For example, creatures in Odyssey with threshold are all lycanthropes, meaning they change from one thing into another; the creature type line captures the before and after, but the art only shows one, usually after.
- “Threshold” used to be a keyword ability. It is now an ability word and has no rules meaning. All cards printed with the threshold keyword have received errata in the Oracle card reference.
- Instants and sorceries with threshold check if seven or more cards are in your graveyard when they resolve, not when they're cast or put on the stack.
- Activated and triggered abilities that permanents have at threshold check the number of cards in your graveyard only when the abilities are activated or triggered. Even if you have fewer than seven cards in your graveyard when the ability resolves, it will still resolve normally.
- Static threshold abilities are simply "on" when you have seven or more cards in your graveyard and "off" when you don't.
Creature — Horror
Threshold — As long as seven or more cards are in your graveyard, Boneshard Slasher gets +2/+2 and has "When Boneshard Slasher becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."
- Matt Tabak (May 31, 2019). "Modern Horizons Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (October 18, 2010). "I Want to Threshold Your Hand (Or Possibly My Artifacts)". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (February 8, 2020). "Krosan Beast's typeline explicitly calls it a Squirrel (Creature - Squrrel Beast).". Blogatog. Tumblr.