Storyline[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Thopters were among the first devices worked upon by the brothers Urza and Mishra. They started out as Thran devices salvaged by Tocasia's team, then the brothers worked on them to make them more efficient and deadly. Used as transport, they were used frequently in the earliest stages of the Brothers' War straight through to the end.
Kaladesh[edit | edit source]
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Magic's ornithopters are based on the real world devices of the same name. The word "ornithopter" comes from the french "ornithoptère", itself constructed with the ancient Greek words "ornithos" (meaning "bird") and "pteron" (meaning "wing").
As artifact creatures didn't use to have creature types, "Thopter" became a shorthand for a small flying device; and later designers used it as a root word to graft epithet to. Only two fake words were created using the "thopter" basis (Roterothopter and Telethopter), before card names started referring to Thopters directly: Thopter Squadron was the first to solidify Thopter as the generic name for these devices.
|Ornithopter||Greek||Ornithos + pteron||Bird wing|
|Roterothopter||Latin||Rotarius (lat.) + Thopter||Wheel-like thopter|
|Telethopter||Greek||Tele (gr.) + Thopter||Long-distance thopter|
Thopter tokens[edit | edit source]
|Thopter||Blue||Artifact Creature — Thopter||1/1||Flying|
|Colorless||Artifact Creature — Thopter||1/1||Flying||
References[edit | edit source]
- Monty Ashley. (May 6, 2010.) "Ornithopters!", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (October 28, 2008.) "Build Your Own Airship!", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wikipedia: Ornithopter
- Online Etymology Dictionary: ornithopter
- Online Etymology Dictionary: ornithos
- Online Etymology Dictionary: pteron
- Online Etymology Dictionary: rotary
- Online Etymology Dictionary: tele