Theros Beyond Death
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Reprinted cards
- 5 Preconstructed decks
- 6 Notable cards
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||Escape Your Fate||”|
The main set contains 254 cards (5 basic lands, 101 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares), and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. Additional cards are found in the set's Theme Boosters and planeswalker decks. A unique Buy-a-Box promotional card is also considered to be part of the set. Cards with alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. Borderless planeswalkers are numbered #255-257, Showcase cards are numbered #258-268, the Buy-a-Box is #269, planeswalker deck cards are numbered #270-277, non-constellation basic lands are numbered #278-287, Theme Booster rares are #288-297 and extended artwork cards are numbered #298-351. The Bundle promo is numbered #352. Finally there are FNM-treatment cards from the Universal promo pack numbered #353-357. Both regular and foil versions of these cards may be found in the collector boosters.
The set features five special Nyx-inspired full-art constellation basic lands (one per pack). The non-constellation basic lands are only found in supplemental products. These regular-border lands depict the "Above and Below" of Theros and its underworld. Besides the five basic lands, there are 11 constellation showcase cards. These are all the gods and demigods.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
There is no ebook for Theros Beyond Death, nor were there weekly updates for Magic Story. It was revealed that the blowback from War of the Spark: Forsaken caused the Theros Beyond Death fiction to be delayed. The Franchise Team is trying to find the correct time and channel to release it at a later point in time.
The set focuses on the Underworld of Theros over the normal world of the plane, with a major plot point being the return of Klothys, the Therosian god of destiny. It features the planeswalker Elspeth Tirel and her torturer Ashiok.
The Gods are at war, and they bring their champions to fight. Elspeth breaks free and defeats Heliod with a weapon created from her past traumas. Klothys finds out about Elspeth escaping the Underworld so she is sending someone to bring her back to the Underworld or capture her.
The cards that represent the Story Spotlights in Theros Beyond Death are:
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Theros Beyond Death is sold in regular 16-card Draft Boosters (one card being a marketing card), mono-colored Theme Boosters, two planeswalker decks, the Theros Beyond Death bundle and a Deck Builder's Toolkit. The set also features Collector Boosters. For the first time, the Theme Boosters will contain two out of a possible 10 rare cards that are not part of the regular set and thus are not available in regular Draft Boosters. The Promo Pack also features some non-Standard rares that are focused on Commander.
The Draft Boosters feature artwork from Elspeth Tirel (key art), Kunoros, Hound of Athreos and Calix, Destiny's Hand. The Theme Boosters feature art from Transcendent Envoy (), Witness of Tomorrows (), Tymaret, Chosen from Death (), Dreamshaper Shaman (), and Hydra's Growth (). The Collector Boosters feature Klothys, God of Destiny.
Events[edit | edit source]
- Tabletop Prerelease: January 17–19, 2020
- Friday Night Magic begins: January 24, 2020
- Draft Weekend: January 25–26, 2020
- Magic Weekend: Pioneer: February 22–23, 2020
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare of Theros Beyond Death.
- Other events: cards from the Throne of Eldraine universal promo pack.
- Buy-a-Box: foil Athreos, Shroud-Veiled and a foil full-art "Nyx" Land.
- Bundle promo: foil alternate art Arasta of the Endless Web
Tokens[edit | edit source]
- 0/1 Goat creature, created by Discordant Piper and Woe Strider.
- 1/1 Human Soldier creature, created by Commanding Presence, Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis, Hero of the Nyxborn, Omen of the Sun, Reverent Hoplite, Siona, Captain of the Pyleas, and The First Iroan Games.
- 2/2 Pegasus creature with flying, created by Archon of Sun's Grace.
- 8/8 Kraken creature with hexproof, created by Kiora Bests the Sea God.
- 3/2 Reflection creature, created by Alirios, Enraptured.
- 1/1 Tentacle creature, created by Nadir Kraken.
- 2/2 Zombie creature, created by Aphemia, the Cacophony and Tymaret Calls the Dead.
- */1 Elemental creature with trample and haste, created by Purphoros's Intervention.
- 1/1 Satyr creature with "This creature can't block," created by Anax, Hardened in the Forge, Heroes of the Revel and Satyr's Cunning.
- 1/2 Spider creature with reach, created by Arasta of the Endless Web.
- 2/2 Wolf creature, created by Mantle of the Wolf and Wolfwillow Haven.
- 2/3 Nightmare creature with "Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, each opponent exiles the top two cards of their library," created by Ashiok, Nightmare Muse.
- Gold artifact, created by The First Iroan Games.
- 0/4 Wall artifact creature with defender, created by The Birth of Meletis.
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
Theros Beyond Death introduces the keyword ability Escape; spells with escape can be cast from the graveyard for their escape cost. The cost includes exiling a number of other cards from the graveyard. Certain creatures receive an additional bonus as they escape.
Theros Beyond Death features the following limited archetypes:
- : Tempo (Staggering Insight)
- : Self-mill (Devourer of Memory)
- : Sacrifice (Slaughter-Priest of Mogis)
- : "Ferocious" (Warden of the Chained)
- : Auras (Siona, Captain of the Pyleas)
- : Reanimator (Rise to Glory)
- : Casting spells on opponent's turns (Mischievous Chimera)
- : Escape (Acolyte of Affliction)
- : Go wide "heroic" (Hero of the Nyxborn)
- : Constellation (Eutropia the Twice-Favored)
Card types[edit | edit source]
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Theros Beyond Death has twelve cycles, including one double cycle.
|Gods||Heliod, Sun-Crowned||Thassa, Deep-Dwelling||Erebos, Bleak-Hearted||Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded||Nylea, Keen-Eyed|
|Five mythic rare legendary God enchantment creatures, each with a static ability and an activated ability.|
|Demigods||Daxos, Blessed by the Sun||Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea||Tymaret, Chosen from Death||Anax, Hardened in the Forge||Renata, Called to the Hunt|
|Five uncommon legendary enchantment creatures with the new Demigod subtype. Each has power or toughness equal to your devotion in their color.|
|Interventions||Heliod's Intervention||Thassa's Intervention||Erebos's Intervention||Purphoros's Intervention||Nylea's Intervention|
|Five rare modal spells with in their mana costs: one mode uses X, the other uses twice X.|
|Omens||Omen of the Sun||Omen of the Sea||Omen of the Dead||Omen of the Forge||Omen of the Hunt|
|Five common enchantments with flash and an enters the battlefield ability, depicting the major gods of Theros. They may be sacrificed for M to scry 2.|
|Rare sagas||Elspeth Conquers Death||Kiora Bests the Sea God||Tymaret Calls the Dead||The Akroan War||The First Iroan Games|
|Five rare or mythic rare Saga enchantments.|
|Uncommon sagas||The Birth of Meletis||Medomai's Prophecy||Elspeth's Nightmare||The Triumph of Anax||The Binding of the Titans|
|Five uncommon Saga enchantments.|
|Nymphs||Alseid of Life's Bounty||Naiad of Hidden Coves||Lampad of Death's Vigil||Oread of Mountain's Blaze||Dryad of the Ilysian Grove|
|Five cross-rarity Nymph creatures with related flavor text.|
|Nyxborns||Nyxborn Courser||Nyxborn Seaguard||Nyxborn Marauder||Nyxborn Brute||Nyxborn Colossus|
|Five common vanilla enchantment creatures with flavor text about the Callapheia.|
|Auras||Indomitable Will||Starlit Mantle||Mogis's Favor||Aspect of Manticore||Setessan Training|
|Five common beneficial Auras with small effects but with in-built designs to prevent card disadvantage.|
|Removal Auras||Dreadful Apathy||Ichthyomorphosis||Mire's Grasp||Iroas's Blessing||Warbriar Blessing|
|Five common Auras that represent each color's primary removal spell.|
|Temples||Temple of Enlightenment||Temple of Deceit||Temple of Malice||Temple of Abandon||Temple of Plenty|
|Five rare allied colored scry lands that were previously printed in Theros and Born of the Gods.|
Double cycles[edit | edit source]
|Gold signposts||Staggering Insight||Devourer of Memory||Slaughter-Priest of Mogis||Warden of the Chained||Siona, Captain of the Pyleas||Rise to Glory||Mischievous Chimera||Acolyte of Affliction||Hero of the Nyxborn||Eutropia the Twice-Favored|
|Ten uncommon dual-colored spells, each a signpost for a draft archetype.|
Pairs[edit | edit source]
Theros Beyond Death has one mirrored pair.
|Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
|Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
|Mythic rare Elder Giant legendary creatures, each of which is undercosted but is sacrificed when it enters the battlefield unless its escape cost is paid. Each one also has a triggered ability that triggers when it enters the battlefield or attacks.|
Reprinted cards[edit | edit source]
The following cards have been reprinted:
- Banishing Light, first printed in Journey into Nyx, last seen in Commander Anthology Volume II.
- Field of Ruin, first printed in Ixalan.
- Gift of Strength, first printed in Hour of Devastation, last seen in Ravnica Allegiance.
- Heliod's Pilgrim, first printed in Magic 2015, last seen in Ultimate Masters.
- Idyllic Tutor, first printed in Morningtide.
- Indomitable Will, first printed in Champions of Kamigawa.
- Infuriate, first printed in Core Set 2020.
- Plummet, first printed in Archenemy, last seen in Core Set 2020.
- Portent of Betrayal, first printed in Theros.
- Return to Nature, first printed in War of the Spark, last seen in Throne of Eldraine.
- Revoke Existence, first printed in Scars of Mirrodin, last seen in Born of the Gods.
- Thrill of Possibility, first printed in Throne of Eldraine.
- Traveler's Amulet, first printed in Innistrad, last seen in Rivals of Ixalan.
- Underworld Dreams, first printed in Legends, last seen in Magic 2010.
- Unknown Shores, first printed in Theros, last seen in Ixalan.
- Wrap in Flames, first printed in Rise of the Eldrazi, last seen in Battlebond.
- The ally-colored temples, first printed in Theros and Born of the Gods.
Common to uncommon[edit | edit source]
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
- Indomitable Will is a functional reprint of Mageta's Boon.
- One with the Stars is a functional reprint of the Mystery Booster test card Enchantmentize
- Final Death is a functional reprint of Final Reward.
- Grim Physician is a functional reprint of Shambling Goblin, except for creature types.
- Moss Viper is a functional reprint of Sedge Scorpion, except for creature types.
- Unknown Shores is a functional reprint of Shimmering Grotto.
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Planeswalker decks[edit | edit source]
|Elspeth||W||Elspeth, Undaunted Hero|
|Ashiok||U||B||Ashiok, Sculptor of Fears|
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Dryad of the Ilysian Grove has seen play in the Modern Amulet Titan deck, among other things enabling Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle as an additional win condition.
- Thassa's Oracle is an alternate-win card. It's seen play in numerous formats, most notably in the Pioneer combo deck utilizing it and Inverter of Truth, as well as in optimized Commander decks alongside Demonic Consultation.
Banned and Restricted cards[edit | edit source]
- Underworld Breach bears many semblances to Yawgmoth's Will, but with further advantage in allowing the same spell to be cast multiple times, which allows for more deterministic kills. Legacy's Brain Freeze nearly kills by itself, and so it was banned in March 2020, one of the fastest bans for the format. Pioneer had the Lotus Field Breach combo that used untapping spells for mana and milling spells to fuel them. While not unbeatable - the structure of the deck is not flexible enough to counter-sideboard easily - it was removed from the format with three other combo pieces in August 2020.
- Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath was a flagship mythic showcasing the Escape mechanic, alongside strong flavor and interesting design space of being a "spell" because it required Escaping to stay in play. However, the "spell" of Explore with life gain made it easy to churn through one's deck and find interactive spells for the escape cost, making Uro one of the most ubiquitous Mythics in multiple formats. Standard was the first to ban Uro in September 2020, as the life gain buffer, ramp payoff, and anti-midrange inevitability made it difficult to control, aggressively race, or go over the top of - effectively beating all the strategies in a typical metagame.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. "Theros Beyond Death Credits". Magicthegathering.com.
- Printed on the card frame.
- Magic Announcement Stream (Video). Magic: the Gathering. YouTube (September 4, 2019).
- Wizards Europe (October 11, 2019). "We're happy to announce the release dates for two upcoming sets in 2020!". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (January 2, 2020). "At Death's Door, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 6, 2020). "At Death's Door, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic: The Gathering (December 11, 2019). "Straight from Nyx: Full art basics. One per pack.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (December 13, 2019). "Are the Theros Beyond Death full-art Nyx lands going to be in the set bundles?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Magic: The Gathering (December 13, 2019). "These regular-border lands SamBurleyArt depict the "Above and Below" of Theros and its underworld!". Twitter.
- Blake Rasmussen (December 13, 2019). "Theros Beyond Death Collector Booster Contents". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (December 16, 2019). "The Theros Beyond Death Story on Cards". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 10, 2020). "Theros Beyond Death Story Summary". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 27, 2020e). "Odds & Ends: Theros Beyond Death". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (September 04, 2019). "I missed the announcement of the sets for next year.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 23, 2019). "Will Theros Beyond Death completely take place in the Underworld or will we see more of Theros?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (December 12, 2019). "Theros Beyond Death Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- She's back!. Reddit (September 26, 2019).
- Wizards of the Coast (December 12, 2019). "Magic at the Game Awards 2019". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards Play Network
- Mark Rosewater (September 21, 2019). "I feel like the return to Theros should have an enchantment masterpiece series.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Blake Rasmussen (December 17, 2019). "Theros Beyond Death Theme Boosters". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 15, 2020). "Theros Beyond Death Promo Pack Updates". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (January 14, 2020). "Theros Beyond Death Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Jeffrey Dohm-Sanchez (October 22, 2019). "Wizards of the Coast reveals the first details on the Theros Beyond Death product line.". Icv2.com.
- Blake Rasmussen (January 9, 2020). "Theros Beyond Death Promos". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (December 17, 2019). "Theros Beyond Death Production Error". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (January 9, 2020). "The Tokens of Theros Beyond Death". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- BlakedaWerewolf (October 30, 2019). "Theros Beyond Death Major Spoilers". Reddit.
- Matt Tabak (December 12, 2019). "Theros Beyond Death Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (December 13, 2019). "So, it appears that the decision was made to not have Constellation on enchantments anymore?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 14, 2019). "So it looks like there will be creatures in Theros with the text of the Heroic ability, but no Heroic keyword?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 20, 2020). "More to the Death". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Caranthir (September 10, 2019). "Are Planeswalker Decks being discontinued? (Comment #11)". MTG Salvation.
[edit | edit source]
- Theros Beyond Death Official Trailer - Magic: The Gathering (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (December 12, 2019).