Theros: Beyond Death
|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Theros: Beyond Death|
|Symbol description||Mask of the Returned|
|Release date||January 24, 2020|
|Graveyard matters, Enters the battlefield matters, Sagas, Enchantment creatures|
or ability words
|Constellation, Devotion, Escape|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
The main set contains 254 cards (TBA basic lands, TBA commons, TBA uncommons, TBA rares, TBA mythic rares), and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. Additional cards are found in the set's collector boosters, planeswalker decks and brawl decks. A unique Buy-a-Box promotional card is also considered to be part of the set. Cards with alternate card frames have another card number than the original version. Borderless planeswalkers are numbered #255-TBA, Showcase cards are numbered #TBA-TBA, the Buy-a-Box is #TBA, planeswalker deck cards are numbered #TBA-TBA and extended artwork cards are numbered #TBA-TBA. The Bundle promo is numbered #TBA. Finally there are FNM-treatment cards from the Universal promo pack numbered #TBA-TBA. Both regular and foil versions of these cards may be found in the collector boosters.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Theros: Beyond Death is sold in regular 16-card Draft Boosters (one card being a marketing card), mono-colored Theme Boosters, two planeswalker decks, the Theros: Beyond Death bundle and a Deck Builder's Toolkit. The set also features Collector Boosters.
Events[edit | edit source]
- Tabletop Prerelease: January 17-19, 2020
- Draft Weekend: January 25–26, 2020
- Friday Night Magic begins: TBA
- Magic Weekend: Pioneer: February 22–23, 2020
Promotional cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare of Theros: Beyond Death.
- Other events: cards from the Throne of Eldraine universal promo pack.
- The seasonal dark-frame promos are: TBA
- Buy-a-Box: TBA
- Bundle promo: foil alternate art TBA
Tokens/emblems/markers[edit | edit source]
- ?/? Goat creature, created by ?
- 1/1 Human Soldier creature, created by Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis and Hero of the Nyxborn.
- 3/2 Reflection creature, created by Alirios, Enraptured.
- 1/1 Satyr creature with "This creature can't block," created by Heroes of the Revel.
- 2/2 Wolf creature, created by Wolfwillow Haven.
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
Theros: Beyond Death introduces the keyword action Escape; spells with escape can be cast from the graveyard for their escape cost. The cost includes exiling a number of other cards from the graveyard. If a creature escapes, it may receive an additional bonus.
Theros: Beyond Death features the following limited archetypes:
- : 4+ power matters/"Ferocious" (Warden of the Chained)
- : "Heroic" (Hero of the Nyxborn)
Card types[edit | edit source]
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Theros: Beyond Death has at least three cycles.
|Omens||Omen of the Sun||Omen of the Sea||Omen of the Dead||Omen of the Forge||Omen of the Hunt|
|Five common enchantments with flash and an enters the battlefield ability, depicting the major gods of Theros. They may be sacrificed for C to scry 2.|
|Nyxborns||Nyxborn Courser||Nyxborn Seaguard||Nyxborn Marauder||Nyxborn Brute|
|Five common vanilla enchantment creatures with related flavor text.|
|Gold signposts||Warden of the Chained||Hero of the Nyxborn|
|Ten uncommon gold spells, each a signpost for a draft archetype.|
Reprinted cards[edit | edit source]
The following cards have been reprinted:
- Banishing Light, first printed in Journey into Nyx, last seen in Commander Anthology Volume II.
- Indomitable Will, first printed in Champions of Kamigawa.
- Infuriate, first printed in Core Set 2020.
- Portent of Betrayal, first printed in Theros.
- Thrill of Possibility, first printed in Throne of Eldraine.
- Underworld Dreams, first printed in Legends, last seen in Magic 2010.
- Wrap in Flames, first printed in Rise of the Eldrazi, last seen in Battlebond.
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Akroan War is the equivalent of the ancient Greek Trojan War.
- Alirios, Enraptured is a clear reference to Narcissus.
- Klothys, one of the Fates, (Furious Rise) is a barely concealed take on Clotho.
- The Callapheia (Nyxborn Seaguard), recounting the adventures of Callaphe the Mariner, is a take on the Odyssey.
- Dalakos, Crafter of Wonders is a reference to Daedalus.
- The Fruit of Tizerus references the Pomegranate, which was known as the "fruit of the dead" in ancient Greece.
- Ilysia (Ilysian Caryatid) mirrors Elysium or the Elysian Fields, the abode of the blessed in the lower world.
- The Labyrinth of Skophos is a play on the Labyrinth of Knossos that held the Minotaur, the monster eventually killed by the hero Theseus.
- Phylias (Dreadful Apathy) mirrors the Asphodel Meadows, a place for ordinary or indifferent souls who did not commit any significant crimes
References[edit | edit source]
- Printed on the card frame.
- Magic Announcement Stream (Video). Magic: the Gathering. YouTube (September 4, 2019).
- Wizards Europe (October 11, 2019). "We're happy to announce the release dates for two upcoming sets in 2020!". Twitter.
- BlakedaWerewolf (October 30, 2019). "Theros: Beyond Death Major Spoilers". Reddit.
- Mark Rosewater (September 04, 2019). "I missed the announcement of the sets for next year.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (October 23, 2019). "Will Theros Beyond Death completely take place in the Underworld or will we see more of Theros?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- She's back!. Reddit (September 26, 2019).
- Wizards Play Network
- Mark Rosewater (September 21, 2019). "I feel like the return to Theros should have an enchantment masterpiece series.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Jeffrey Dohm-Sanchez (October 22, 2019). "Wizards of the Coast reveals the first details on the Theros: Beyond Death product line.". Icv2.com.
- Caranthir (September 10, 2019). "Are Planeswalker Decks being discontinued? (Comment #11)". MTG Salvation.