|Birthplace||Ravnica City, Ravnica|
|Lifetime||9965 Z.C. to Present|
Teysa Karlov is a high-ranking member of the Orzhov Syndicate before, during, and after the Decamillennial and at the time of the Return to Ravnica block storyline arc. She is more than one hundred and twelve years old, and walks with a cane because of her lame leg.
Biography[edit | edit source]
The scion of one of the most respected Orzhov families, House Karlov, Teysa was employed as a notable "advokist", or lawmage, with a name and reputation that preceded her until she was made a baroness of the Utvara Reclamation Zone. There, Teysa came into contact with Zomaj Hauc, who had schemes to control Ravnica; but, with an assembled force of warriors recruited from various sources, including the Ravnican guilds, as well as her wealth of experience, arcane knowledge, and magic that allowed her to control a dragon, she was influential in stopping Hauc and, in return, gained her the respect of the the inhabitants of the area and consolidated her power and authority.
After the breaking of the Guildpact and the Decamillennial, Teysa was intimately involved in the drafting of a new, non-magical Guildpact for the peace, order, and good government and relations of Ravnica and has been made the first and only Grand Envoy of the Orzhov Syndicate, thereby becoming the official speaker and ambassador for the guildmaster, the Obzedat. Not satisfied with that position, she conspired with the Boros knight Tajic to remove the Obzedat from power. Tricking the Living Guildpact in providing her with the means to enter the Obzedat's Chamber, she almost retrieved the final evidence of the financial corruption of the Obzedat. In the end, she was foiled by her ghostly grandfather and stripped off her office of advokist by the Ghost Council.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
- Horncaller's Chant
- Immortal Servitude
- Karlov of the Ghost Council
- Obzedat's Aid
- Mystic Genesis
- Orzhov Guildgate (Dragon's Maze)
- Urbis Protector
- Wasteland Viper
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Cory J. Herndon. (2006.) Ravnica Cycle, Book II: Guildpact, Wizards of the Coast. ISBN-13 978-0786939893.
- Cory J. Herndon. (2006.) Ravnica Cycle, Book III: Dissension, Wizards of the Coast. ISBN-13 978-0786940011.
References[edit | edit source]
- Alison Luhrs. (November 11, 2015.) “Family Values”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee. (August 29, 2012.) “Ravnica, Then and Now”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team. (December 12, 2012.) “Planeswalker's Guide to Gatecrash: Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Adam Lee. (April 10, 2013.) “Teysa Karlov”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.