Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Description[edit | edit source]
Text-changing effects replace each instance of a characteristic, of a permanent or of a spell, with another of the same genus (e.g., color) or type (e.g., basic land subtype, creature subtype). Text-changing effects are considered exclusively within blue magic according to the historic and current understanding of the color pie, and all cards with a text-changing effect to date have been blue.
Rules[edit | edit source]
List of text-changing effects[edit | edit source]
Color word "hacks"[edit | edit source]
As of Dragon's Maze, four (4) cards can change a color word to another:
- Alter Reality (Torment)
- Balduvian Shaman (Ice Age)
- Glamerdye (Eventide)
- Sleight of Mind (Alpha, Beta, Unlimited Edition, Revised Edition, Fourth Edition, Ice Age, Fifth Edition)
Note that this ability is functionally different from those of color changers.
Basic land subtype "hacks"[edit | edit source]
As of Dragon's Maze, one (1) card can change a basic land subtype to another:
Color word and/or basic land subtype "hacks"[edit | edit source]
As of Dragon's Maze, five (5) cards can change a color word to another or a basic land subtype to another:
- Crystal Spray (Invasion)
- Mind Bend (Mirage, Eighth Edition, Ninth Edition, Tenth Edition)
- Spectral Shift (Fifth Dawn)
- Trait Doctoring (Dragon's Maze)
- Whim of Volrath (Tempest)
Creature subtype "hacks"[edit | edit source]
As of Dragon's Maze, one (1) card can change a creature subtype with another:
Other "hacks"[edit | edit source]
- Champions of Kamigawa featured Swirl the Mists, an enchantment that can replace all instance of color words in the text of spells and permanents with a chosen color word, chosen as it enters the battlefield.
- Unhinged featured Magical Hacker, a creature that can replace plus ("+") signs in text boxes with minus ("−") signs and vice versa.