|Reminder Text||No official reminder text|
Tap is a keyword action that is usually represented on cards with symbol.
Description[edit | edit source]
Actions that cause a card to tap include:
- Using its activated ability if that ability requires it to tap (for example, ": Add to your mana pool.")
- Declaring a creature as an attacker (see Declare Attackers Step)
- Regenerating a creature that would be destroyed and is not already tapped (see Regeneration)
- Paying a cost of a spell or ability (see Additional cost, Alternative cost, and Activation cost)
Forced tapping[edit | edit source]
Twiddle[edit | edit source]
Ever since the card Twiddle appeared in Alpha, blue has had the ability to tap or untap permanents. It's most often used just on creatures. Blue doesn't tend to just tap or just untap, but rather give you the choice between the two. The one exception is when it "freezes" creatures, tapping creatures and keeping them from untapping for a turn..
Rules[edit | edit source]
Tap symbol[edit | edit source]
Originally cards used the word tap explicitly (e.g., the text on Samite Healer in Unlimited was "Tap to prevent 1 damage to any target.") or were of type "Mono Artifact" (Cyclopean Tomb). Revised introduced the tap symbol as a tilted T inside a gray circle. This didn't work, because in foreign languages the word for "tap" didn't start with a T. In 4th Edition, it was changed to a white curved arrow with a tilted black rectangle representing the tapping card. In 8th Edition, it was changed to a black curved arrow without the rectangle behind it .
References[edit | edit source]
- Gavin Verhey. (April 20, 2017.) "Tap, Tap . . . Oops!", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 5, 2017.) "Mechanical Color Pie 2017", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- David Howell: Contributions
- Mark Rosewater. (October 4, 2004.) "Change For the Better", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (February 16, 2009.) "25 Random Things About Magic", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (July 12, 2004.) "The Changing Tap Symbol", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.