|Introduced||Oath of the Gatewatch|
|Last Used||Oath of the Gatewatch|
|Reminder Text||Surge [cost] (You may cast a spell for its surge cost if you or a teammate have cast another spell in the same turn.)|
Description[edit | edit source]
You may cast a spell for its surge cost if you or a teammate have cast another spell in the same turn. However, the triggered ability only gives a bonus to your own creatures, not to your teammate's. The cards are both cheaper and more powerful if cast for their surge cost.
Teammates are all allied players in Two-Headed Giant, Emperor, and certain other multiplayer Magic formats. The development team balanced the mechanic such that the cards could be powerful in two-player games as well.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 702.116. Surge
- 702.116a Surge is a static ability that functions while the spell with surge is on the stack. “Surge [cost]” means “You may pay [cost] rather than pay this spell’s mana cost as you cast this spell if you or one of your teammates has cast another spell this turn.” Paying a spell’s surge cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
- A keyword ability that provides an alternative cost to cast a card if you or one of your teammates has cast another spell in the same turn. See rule 702.116, “Surge.”
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- For some cards, surge represents only an alternative cost, a discount that applies if you or a teammate has cast another spell this turn. Other cards, like Reckless Bushwhacker, have additional abilities or effects if you paid the surge cost to cast the spell.
- The other spell that you or a teammate cast can be one that’s resolved, one that was countered, or (for instants with surge) one that’s still on the stack.
- If an instant or sorcery spell cast for its surge cost is copied, the copy is also considered to have had its surge cost paid.
- Casting a spell for its surge cost doesn’t change its mana cost or its converted mana cost.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Goblin Warrior Ally
Surge (You may cast a spell for its surge cost if you or a teammate have cast another spell in the same turn.)
When Reckless Bushwhacker enters the battlefield, if its surge cost was paid, other creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.