Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
1.8% 82.5% 3.5% 3.5% 5.3% 1.8% 1.8%as of Core Set 2021
Spider is a creature type used for cards that depict arachnids, most of which spin webs that serve as nests and as traps for prey. Spiders mainly appear in green and typically have a high toughness and reach.
History[edit | edit source]
The first creature to bear the type was Giant Spider in Alpha. Other examples include Woolly Spider from Ice Age and Deadly Recluse from Magic 2010. More than thirty spiders have been printed, but so far never a spider lord.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Other appearances include Urza's "screaming spider" artifacts which sent very high sound waves that humans couldn't hear but were deafening loud to sleeper agents, and Lorwyn spiderwigs, a mass of arachnids intended to be worn rather than eaten (Spiderwig Boggart).
Theros[edit | edit source]
On Theros live the Aracnir, creatures whose lower torso is the abdomen of a spider complete with six arachnoid legs and whose upper torso is that of a humanoid spider with two humanoid arms and a spider-like head (Chainweb Aracnir).
Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
Notable Spiders[edit | edit source]
Notable characters with spiderish characteristics[edit | edit source]
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Token Name||Color||Type Line||P/T||Text Box||Source||Printings|
|Spider||Black||Creature — Spider||2/4||Reach|
|Green||Creature — Spider||1/2||Reach|
|Green||Enchantment Creature — Spider||1/3||Reach|
Related cards[edit | edit source]
- Arachnus Spinner from Magic 2012 works together with the aura Arachnus Web which neutralizes creatures.
- Eaten by Spiders is an instant that destroys creature with flying.
- Hidden Spider is an enchantment that becomes a 3/5 spider with reach when an opponent casts a creature with flying.
- Mantle of Webs, Spider Climb, Spider Umbra, Spidersilk Armor and Web are all auras that grant reach.
- Spidersilk Net is an equipment that grants reach.
- Swarmyard is a land that regenerates Spiders.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Arasta of the Endless Web, Ishkanah, Grafwidow, and Thantis, the Warweaver are the only legendary Spiders.
- Ancient Spider, Dragonlair Spider, Giant Trap Door Spider, Nyx Weaver, Obelisk Spider, Pale Recluse, Rotwidow Pack, and Thantis, the Warweaver are the only multicolored Spiders.
- Giant Spider is the only card that has appeared in all core sets from Alpha to Magic 2012. It finally appeared in an expert set with Amonkhet. It was also featured in the introductory Chines Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling and in Core Set 2019.
- Needlepeak Spider is the only mono red Spider.
- Arachnoid is the only artifact Spider.
- Orbweaver Kumo should have been a Spider Spirit, but isn't.
- Giant Solifuge has the Insect creature type. As solifuges are real-life arachnides, it would have been logical to make it a Spider instead.
- Webweaver Changeling depicts a 3/5 arachnid Shapeshifter with changeling and reach.
- The Morph mechanic used to be visualized by a spider-shaped creature shell that is also represented in Onslaught’s expansion symbol ().