Specter is a black creature type used for cards that depict vicious undead creatures whose touch numbs the minds of their victims, robbing them of memories (represented in-game by discard effects). Most specters are seen riding atop undead flying monsters such as dragons, giant skulls with bat-wings, and other beasts, and often wield polearms. They seem to be mirror-images of the white Archons, hooded beings that also ride flying mounts, though unlike them they don't appear to be mana manifestations (in the same manner as angels and demons), nor is it clear if, like archons, both "rider" and "steed" are the same being.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The archetypal depiction of Specters was first introduced with Abyssal Specter in Ice Age.
- Blazing Specter added red to the casting cost.
- Blizzard Specter and Doomsday Specter added blue to their casting costs.
- Sedraxis Specter is the only tri-colored Specter.
- Specter's Shroud is an equipment giving a card Specter-abilities.
- Specter's Wail is a sorcery with a discard-effect.
- Liliana Vess brings her own: Liliana's Specter
- The current image of the specter in Magic, that of a hooded rider with a drake or bat-like flying steed, is an homage to Tolkien's Nazgûl.
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (July 31, 2007.) “Specters, Mind-Draining Undead”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (November 10, 2010.) “How to Design a Specter and More!”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (June 22, 2011.) “What It Rides Is Up to You”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.