|The Simic Combine|
Momir Vig (deceased)|
Project Kraj (dismembered)|
|Signet Flavor Text|
|"For the Simic Combine, its sigil serves not as an emblem of honor but as a trademark. Its familiar image on any biological commodity attests to superb craftsmanship, ingenious innovation, and higher cost." — Simic Signet|
Background[edit | edit source]
The Simic Combine is Ravnica's steward of nature and the wild; its mission is to preserve the natural world even as Ravnica's cities continue to grow. The guild seeks to protect the elements of the plane that are incompatible or mutually exclusive with its overpopulated, urban conditions. The guild uses magic to coax new morphologies from existing creatures, as well as to combine traits from multiple organisms in one. Some of these are unique creatures that can't reproduce. A few multiply and become part of the guild's fabric.
The emotionally distant relationship that the Simic biomancers have with the rest of Ravnica's society makes the common man wary of the guild, thinking of them as crazy mutant makers. Even so, the Simic make up the physicians of Ravnica and so injuries and illness are taken to the reputable doctors.
Clades[edit | edit source]
Where other cultures are divided by species, caste or role, within the Simic Combine, members are divided by Clade. A Clade is a group that's focused on a specific aspect or project. Some of the clades include:
- Hull Clade, focussing on protection, defense and durability.
- Fin Clade, focussing on movement of creatures (especially flying creatures) as well as, movement of resources through systems.
- Crypsis Clade, focussing on camouflage and magic designed to hide knowledge or operations.
- Gyre Clade, focussing on redirecting or nullifying magic and advancing nature.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Ravnica block[edit | edit source]
The original purpose of the Simic Combine was to preserve the health of all Ravnican life-forms. They were devoted to the study of life, medicines, and biomancy. But just as life can adapt, so did the Combine. Momir Vig, the Simic guildmaster, was dissatisfied with this original purpose and formed a new purpose: to improve upon life-forms of Ravnica. For this, he created cytoplasts, a bio-magical mass of living tissue, appearing as blue-green globules. These globules convey genetic information to and from any life-form they come into physical contact with.
Unfortunately for Vig, the people of Ravnica did not want to be improved or to undergo the surgery required to receive the benefits (except Simic members and people requiring prosthetics), so Vig created a new version of cytoplast that only need to come into contact with a host in order to bond with it. This allowed Vig to improve the people of Ravnica without needing their consent.
With the fall of Momir Vig, the Simic were left in desrepair, until Ravnica's subterranean merfolk emerged.
Return to Ravnica block[edit | edit source]
With the reemergence of the guilds and the rediscovery of Ravnica's long gone oceans, through the sinkholes known as Zonots, the Simic were remade from scratch. Embracing long-gone spiritual and holistic concepts, they rejected Momir Vig's corrupted philosophy, focusing on advancing nature through purely magical means. Because of their focus on the oceans, their new philosophy revolves around principles applied to sea-life: the Holdfast, the anchoring, isolationist motion; and the Upwelling, the expansive, upwards-going motion. With this, they form a compromise between isolation and influence on Ravnican society, preserving nature and allowing at least one spot of access to the underground oceans.
In the game[edit | edit source]
Guild mechanics[edit | edit source]
Dissension: Graft[edit | edit source]
The Graft mechanic is indicative of cytoplasts; specifically, the "newer" ones of Momir Vig's design. A creature with the Graft keyword comes into play with +1/+1 counters and can later transfer them on to other newly-played creatures.
Gatecrash: Evolve[edit | edit source]
Creature types[edit | edit source]
Species and races[edit | edit source]
Species and races associated with the Simic Combine include:
Any Simic hybridized lifeform is called a krasis.
Notable members[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (June 01, 2006.) “Dissension Style Guide: Simic”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team. (December 12, 2012.) “Planeswalker's Guide to Gatecrash: Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta. (April 19, 2006.) “Cytoplasts, the Other Blue/Green Meat”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (February 18, 2013.) “Designing for Simic”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 20, 2012.) “Simic Combine”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (May 22, 2006.) “Improving Upon Nature”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (June 2, 2006.) “Simic Engineering”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gatherer watermark search for Simic, Gatherer — Wizards of the Coast