|(Subtype for enchantment cards)|
18.2% 18.2% 18.2% 18.2% 18.2% 9.1%as of Core Set 2021
- “Sanctum” redirects here. For the city of Sanctum, see Averru.
Description[edit | edit source]
Shrine has no inherent rules meaning, but each Shrine gets better and better as you control more and more Shrines. Shrines encourage multicolor decks, because they are all legendary. The Hondens do something during your upkeep for each shrine you control, while two Sanctums have activated abilities and three trigger on the precombat main phase.
History[edit | edit source]
Shrines were introduced in Champions of Kamigawa. There were five shrines printed in as an uncommon cycle of Hondens. A Honden is actually the inner part of the shrine to a kami. The name of each Honden corresponds to the name of a legendary spirit—Myojin—in the set.
Honden cycle[edit | edit source]
- Honden of Cleansing Fire () — Gain two life for each shrine you control.
- Honden of Seeing Winds () — Draw a card for each shrine you control.
- Honden of Night's Reach () — Target opponent discards a card for each shrine you control.
- Honden of Infinite Rage () — Deal damage to target creature or player equal to the number of shrines you control.
- Honden of Life's Web () — Put a 1/1 colorless Spirit token into play for each shrine you control.
Sanctum cycle[edit | edit source]
- Sanctum of Tranquil Light () — : Tap target creature. This costs less for each Shrine you control.
- Sanctum of Calm Waters () — May draw a card for each shrine you control, then discard a card if you did.
- Sanctum of Stone Fangs () — Each opponent loses life and you gain life equal to the number of shrines you control.
- Sanctum of Shattered Heights () — , Discard a land or Shrine card: Deals damage to target creature or planeswalker equal to the number of shrines you control.
- Sanctum of Fruitful Harvest () — Add mana of any one color equal to the number of shrines you control
- Sanctum of All () — Searches Shrines and puts them onto the battlefield. It doubles Shrine triggers if you control six or more.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Each Shrine has an ability that counts the number of Shrines you control. These abilities include the Shrine they're printed on.
- Shrines count only enchantments with the subtype Shrine. Other cards with "shrine" in their name (such as Jungle Shrine, Luxa River Shrine, and Nantuko Shrine) don't count.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Each of the mono-colored Sanctums has flavor text formatted and written as a Haiku.
References[edit | edit source]
- Eli Shiffrin (June 20, 2020). "Core Set 2021 and Jumpstart Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (March 24, 2005). "Honden and Myojin". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (June 15, 2020). "But Wait, There's Core". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.