|Last Used||Future Sight|
|Reminder Text||Shadow (This creature can block or be blocked by only creatures with shadow.)|
32.4% 26.5% 38.2% 2.9%
Shadow is a keyword ability on creatures that serves as both an evasion ability and a blocking restriction, featured in the Tempest block. Shadow made a minor appearance in Time Spiral. It is unlikely to return again. Shadow was independently designed by Mike Elliott  and Richard Garfield.
Description[edit | edit source]
An attacking creature with shadow can only be blocked by a defending creature with shadow, and a defending creature with shadow can only block an attacking creature with shadow. It was first seen in the Tempest block, and was revisited in the Time Spiral block. Shadow is found on black, white and blue creatures, while a few red and green creatures are able to block shadow creatures. The aura Æther Web permits enchanted creature block creatures with shadow as though they didn't have shadow.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Rath was Yawgmoth’s ever-expanding plane of flowstone. When it merged with parts of Dominaria as part of Yawgmoth’s interplanar invasion tactics during the Tempest Block storyline, some Dominarian races became trapped in the interstitial void between the two planes. These unfortunate Soltari, Dauthi and Thalakos are known as “shadow creatures.” 
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 702.27. Shadow
- 702.27a Shadow is an evasion ability.
- 702.27b A creature with shadow can’t be blocked by creatures without shadow, and a creature without shadow can’t be blocked by creatures with shadow. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step.”)
- 702.27c Multiple instances of shadow on the same creature are redundant.
- A keyword ability that restricts how a creature may be blocked and which creatures it can block. See rule 702.27, “Shadow.”
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- It is possible for Banding to result in a Shadow creature blocking or being blocked by a non-Shadow creature. This is legal.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Dauthi Minion
Shadow (This creature can block or be blocked by only creatures with shadow.)
Creature type[edit | edit source]
Cards that grant Shadow[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Randy Buehler (December 20, 2002). "Out of the Shadows". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (September 8, 2006). "Overseer, Overboard.". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (November 21, 2012). "Shadow on the stormscale". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (April 27, 2015). "Twenty Things You Might Not Have Known About Tempest". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Brady Dommermuth (June 1, 2009). "Mechanically Inclined". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (December 5, 2006). "Caught Between the Planes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.