|(Subtype for creature/tribal cards)|
3.3% 93.3% 3.3%as of Zendikar Rising
Description[edit | edit source]
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Certain regions of Dominaria are inhabited by Frozen Shades, which are often enslaved by powerful sorcerers. Some were used as protectors of Caliphear the Nightmare’s lands in the Great Salt Marshes of Western Golthonor. These Shades were defeated by goblins and Shanodin Dryads after the swamps became barren due to the wizard Coldraith’s magic. Another Frozen Shade was summoned by Aldon using the Dark Amulet, along with a vampire and bog wraith. The shade needed to feed on flesh or would dissipate so joined with Dreygar in convincing Aldon to attack Dreygar's Castle. When Dreygar was killed, the bog wraith remained as an advisor to Aldon.
Dread shades, known as remnants, served Belzenlok's Cabal. They could change their sizes; not only were they capable of becoming extremely large, but they were also able to shrink down small enough to crawl inside a corpse and animate it. They were gray figures, naked to the waist, their bodies like a muscular, desiccated corpse. Their chests have been ripped open collar to their waists, revealing an empty cavity that glows with spectral light below a pointed face with a wide fanged jaw.
Innistrad[edit | edit source]
Ixalan[edit | edit source]
Some Condemners of the Legion of Dusk are Shade-Binders. They capture and magically bind Shades using blessed braziers that exude inky black smoke. These Revenants are used to guard ships and are sometimes bound in weapons.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Ulgrotha[edit | edit source]
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
Notable Shades[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cinder Shade has red in its casting cost.
- Shade of Trokair from Planar Chaos is the only white Shade and does have a white form of this ability.
- Chilling Shade uses snow mana rather than mana.
- Ihsan's Shade and Skyclave Shade are the only two shades without a pumping ability.
- Shade's Breath is an instant that turns creatures into Shades.
- Shade's Form is an enchantment that gives creatures Shade-abilities. The art shows a person in the process of changing into a shade.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (July 07, 2017). "May I please get some trivia on my favorite creature type, Shade". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Martha Wells (March 22, 2018). "Return to Dominaria: Episode 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Flash Fiction: Conqueror’s Galleon / Conqueror’s Foothold
- Magic Arcana (April 16, 2002). "Sketches: Shade's Form". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.