We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
|Same as design|
|Ron Spears & Dana Knutson|
|April 11, 2001|
Themes and mechanics
Keywords and/or ability words
|350 (110 Common 110 Uncommon 110 Rare 20 Land)|
|6th Edition||7th Edition||8th Edition|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
Set details[edit | edit source]
|“||7 IS Your Lucky Number||”|
Seventh Edition contains 350 white-bordered cards (110 rare, 110 uncommon, 110 common, and 20 basic lands). It was the first Core Set to include foil cards, which were printed with black borders. Each card in 7th Edition featured new artwork. Old favorites like Serra Angel , Shivan Dragon and Mahamoti Djinn returned in the set. The expansion symbol was a stylized 7. Seventh Edition was the last base set printed in the 'old' card frame and to be released prior to the final expansion of the then-current block.
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Seventh Edition was sold in 15-card-booster packs, 5 different Theme decks and a 2-Player Starter Set, but not in tournament packs. The 2-player set was aimed to be an introductory item to playing Magic and hence is similar to Starter 2000. It was also the last Starter-level product released. Seventh Edition was the first Core Set to replace 1 common in booster packs with a basic land card.
In order to comply to strict regulations by the local government, which does not permit illustrations of human skeletons, some cards like Charcoal Diamond received altered art for its Chinese version. 
Storyline[edit | edit source]
Cycles[edit | edit source]
- Circles of protection: Each of these common white enchantments has a mana cost of and the ability to prevent the all damage from a source of a given color for — Circle of Protection: White, Circle of Protection: Blue, Circle of Protection: Black, Circle of Protection: Red, and Circle of Protection: Green.
- Diamonds: Each of these uncommon artifacts costs to play, comes into play tapped and produces one mana of the appropriate color when tapped — Charcoal Diamond, Fire Diamond, Marble Diamond, Moss Diamond, and Sky Diamond. They were originally printed in Mirage.
- Lucky charms: Each of these uncommon artifacts has a triggered ability that allows the controller pay to gain 1 life when a spell of a given color resolves — Ivory Cup, Crystal Rod, Throne of Bone, Iron Star, and Wooden Sphere.
- Painlands: Each of these rare dual lands has ": add to your mana pool. : Add M or N to your mana pool. [This] deals 1 damage to you." M and N are allied colors of mana. These lands are called painlands because their use for colored mana is "painful," referring to the damage they do to you. — Adarkar Wastes, Brushland, Underground River, Sulfurous Springs, and Karplusan Forest.
Vertical Cycle[edit | edit source]
- Super tramplers: A vertical cycle of creatures that could do their combat damage to the defending player as though they weren't blocked — Lone Wolf, Pride of Lions, Thorn Elemental. It is said that this ability was created because Wizards thought trample was too confusing, yet this new ability wasn't taken too well in its place.
Mirrored pairs[edit | edit source]
7th Edition has 5 mirrored pairs.
- Castle (white) and Orcish Oriflamme (red) are both uncommon enchantments for M that conditionally affect a creature's power or toughness.
- Earthquake (red) and Hurricane (green) are both rare sorceries that have a mana cost of M and deal X damage to all non-flying or flying creatures and each player.
- Elvish Champion (green) and Goblin King (red) are both rare Lords for MM that give +1/+1 and landwalk of its color to creatures of their type.
- Holy Strength (white) and Unholy Strength (black) are both common Auras for M with enchant creature that give a mirrored bonus to the enchanted creature's power/toughness.
- Northern Paladin, Southern Paladin (white), Eastern Paladin and Western Paladin (black) are all rare 3/3 Knight creatures for MM with the ability to destroy a permanent of the enemy color for MM,.
Theme decks[edit | edit source]
|Theme deck name||Colors included|
Cards added to 7th Edition[edit | edit source]
Changes in rarity[edit | edit source]
Cards removed from 6th Edition[edit | edit source]
- Crusade was removed in favor of adding Glorious Anthem which for gives +1/+1 to all of your creatures, not just all white ones (including opponents'). Glorious Anthem remained in core sets through 10th Edition.
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 02, 2004.) “Ask Wizards - August, 2004”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 17, 2011.) “The Walking Undead”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (February 12, 2002.) “Chinese art”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Seventh Edition Theme Decks
[edit | edit source]