|Guild Leader||Chorus of the Conclave represented by Trostani (incumbent)|
(Ravnica: City of Guilds
and Guilds of Ravnica)
(Return to Ravnica)
Ravnica: City of Guilds|
Return to Ravnica
Guilds of Ravnica
|Signet Flavor Text|
|The symbol of the Conclave is one of unity, with tree supporting sun and sun feeding tree. — Selesnya Signet|
Description[edit | edit source]
Founded by parun Mat'Selesnya, a female humanoid elemental formed via the fusion of dryads, the Selesnya Conclave is a decentralized collective variably described as a "selfless, nurturing, spiritual group" or a "brainwashing nature cult", and involves itself in the establishment and maintenance of peace, life, and unity in Ravnica. The towering world-tree of Vitu-Ghazi serves as the guild's Guildhall.
Despite their appearance of being a "good" and "peace-loving", in truth the guild has a sinister streak. The Conclave used to employ its quietmen and other members to silence the civilians of Ravnica. The defenders of the Selesnya are the Ledev Guardians. Equenauts ride pegasuses, combining combining the role of mounted warriors and scouts. Sagitars, are elven archers that defend key guild locations.
The Conclave is organized in enclaves called vernadi, which are communes built around central trees, like smaller versions of Vitu-Ghazi. A dryad, called a voda, is called forth to be the leader of the community, connecting the vernadi to the Worldsoul and the will of the entire Conclave. The vernadi are a harmonious union of nature and civilization. Their house are created by woodshapers and are like living gardens without doors, carefully tended and abundantly fertile. The Selesnya are proud of its wurms, which are used by shamans called wurmcallers to travel underground. The wisest clergy (including many Loxodons, are sometimes called hierarchs, although there is no official hierachy in the relgion. Spellcasters fill both military and religious roles, calling their magic Doruvati ("The gift" of Mat'Selesnya).
Leadership[edit | edit source]
Selesnya leadership is composed mainly of dryads. The "guild leader" of Selesnya in the Ravnica: City of Guilds set was a collective mind known as the Chorus of the Conclave, with the top members of the guild as figureheads.
Mat'Selesnya now resides within Vitu-Ghazi, having offered herself to preserve order in Selesnya. Currently, three dryads, serving as the new guildmaster, functioning as her voice. After the Resurgence, the Selesnyans are reorganized into vernadi, small communes lead by dryads who speak for the worldmind.
History[edit | edit source]
The main seat of Selesnya's power in the region of Utvara was Vitar Yescu, an enormous living tree that produced a pollen that served as an antigen to local plague. The head of Selesnya in Utvara was elven shapeshifter Wrizfar Barkfeather.
After the Decamillennial, the decimated Wojek League turned to other guilds' similar organizations for temporary help. Many Selesnyan ledev thus served as "apos", i.e. auxiliary patrol officers, with the Wojeks. After the Decamillennial, a new half-military suborganization was also founded - the Knight Order of Mat'selesnya.
During the events of Agents of Artifice, the Selesnya were lynched en masse due to the citizens realising their role in forcing the oppression of the guilds. However, they have returned as of the events of Return to Ravnica. The new Selesnya were officially more concerned with preserving nature, creating places to illuminate the wonders of nature and inspire contemplation — hopefully on the blessings of Mat'selesnya — for all of Ravnica.
Recently, the Conclave has been growing an army, preparing to resist the ambition and destructive impulses of the other guilds and fight, if necessary, to defend their way of life. The three personalities of the Trostani are in unprecedented disagreement. While Harmony remains mysteriously and utterly silent, Order argues in favor of a peace treaty with the other guilds, while Life wants to focus on building strength of the Conclave. The fact that the dryads are divided means that Trostani is virtually paralyzed and has faded into the background of current events. Emmara Tandris has stepped forward to fill the void in leadership.
In the game[edit | edit source]
Guild mechanics[edit | edit source]
Creatures types[edit | edit source]
Species and races[edit | edit source]
Species and races associated with the Selesnya Conclave include:
Classes[edit | edit source]
Classes associated with the Selesnya Conclave include:
Notable members[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Selesnya Surge, the Return to Ravnica intro pack
- Selesnya United, the Ravnica: City of Guilds preconstructed theme deck
References[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 20, 2012 .) "Selesnya Conclave", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (October 04, 2005.) "Ravnica Style Guide: Selesnya", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Chas Andres. (October 3, 2018.) "A Flavorful Guide to the Guilds of Ravnica", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Gleeson. (October 30, 2018.) "Building the guilds – Selesnya Conclave", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Ravnica: City of Guilds: Chapter 17 — MTG Fiction
- James Wyatt (January 2019). "The Art of Magic: The Gathering - Ravnica". Wizards of the Coast
[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (October 3, 2005.) "Group Think", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta. (December 28, 2005.) "Digging into the Conclave", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe. (October 7, 2005.) "Completing the Conclave", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- The Magic Creative Team. (August 22, 2012.) "Planeswalker's Guide to Return to Ravnica: Part 1", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (October 01, 2012.) "Designing for Selesnya", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gatherer watermark search for Selesnya, Gatherer — Wizards of the Coast