Secret Lair Drop Series: The Walking Dead
|Secret Lair Drop Series:|
The Walking Dead
|Symbol description||Shooting star|
|Release date||October 4, 2020|
(5 cards, 6 tokens)
|Secret Lair Drop Series|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
The Walking Dead is a drop of cards in the Secret Lair product range and a continuation of the Secret Lair Drop Series. It became available for pre-order purchase from the Wizards of the Coast webshop secretlair.wizards.com from October 4th through October 12th, 2020. The price is $49.99.
Description[edit | edit source]
This set is a tie-in with The Walking Dead franchise, which includes a comic book series, television series, web series, films, novels, video games, and various other media such as audiobooks and soundtracks. It features a post-apocalyptic world where the undead, known as walkers, have taken over. Entertainment One, the producing company of The Walking Dead, is owned by Hasbro. Hasbro is also the owner of Wizards of the Coast.
The foil cards included in this very special Secret Lair drop are completely new to Magic, depicting the iconic characters of the long-running and critically acclaimed TV series. These are mechanically unique cards that are legal in Eternal formats. Each of the cards have mechanics that are inspired by either the characters or the elements of The Walking Dead universe that they represent. This drop also comes with five Zombie tokens, each an important walker from the show, and one Treasure token.
Card list[edit | edit source]
|The Walking Dead||143||Rick, Steadfast Leader||Jake Murray||Portrays Rick Grimes.|
|The Walking Dead||144||Daryl, Hunter of Walkers||Romana Kendelic||Portrays Daryl Dixon.|
|The Walking Dead||145||Glenn, the Voice of Calm||Paolo Puggioni||Portrays Glenn Rhee.|
|The Walking Dead||146||Michonne, Ruthless Survivor||Romana Kendelic||Portrays Michonne.|
|The Walking Dead||147||Negan, the Cold-Blooded||Jake Murray||Portrays Negan.|
|The Walking Dead||148||Walker||Dave Allsop|| 2/2 Zombie token creature|
"Bicycle Girl". Quote by Rick Grimes.
|The Walking Dead||149||Walker||Josh Hass|| 2/2 Zombie token creature|
"Well Walker". Quote by Dale Horvath.
|The Walking Dead||150||Walker||Devin Platts|| 2/2 Zombie token creature|
"Blade Walker". Quote by Glenn Rhee.
|The Walking Dead||151||Walker||Nils Hamm|| 2/2 Zombie token creature|
"Winslow". Quote by Jadis
|The Walking Dead||152||Walker||Dave Allsop|| 2/2 Zombie token creature|
"Metal Head". Quote by Eugene Porter
|The Walking Dead||153||Treasure||Jason Felix|| Artifact token|
Depicts Rick's badge and hat
Walker[edit | edit source]
Daryl's and Michonne's cards refer to "Walker tokens" in their rules text, without defining what a Walker is. Although clearly intended to be a black 2/2 zombie named Walker, this is currently not covered by the Comprehensive Rules.
Bonus card[edit | edit source]
In contrast to most of the other Secret Lair drops so far, this product doesn't contain one of the 36 stained-glass War of the Spark planeswalkers as a bonus card. It is replaced by a legendary artifact called Lucille (Negan's weapon of choice) with art by Jason Felix. It is numbered #541 (it is numbered in sequence with the stained-glass walkers and the white-border Tibalt from Secret Lair Drop Series: April Fools).
Controversy[edit | edit source]
|“||Miss a Drop. It's Gone.||”|
The fact that the set features unique cards instead of reprints (like the Secret Lair series originally was envisioned), garnered a lot of criticism. People argued that the cards should have been silver-bordered or that the double-naming technique used for the Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths Box Toppers should have been used. In response, Wizards of the Coast argued that the Magic version (same card mechanically, but with a Magic name and art) could be printed in any number of future products.
References[edit | edit source]
- Information below the text box
- The Zendikar Adventuring Party (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (September 1, 2020).
- Wizards of the Coast (September 28, 2020). "The Walking Dead Shambles into Secret Lair". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Trilby Beresford (September 28, 2020). "'Magic the Gathering' Reveals Crossover With 'The Walking Dead' (Exclusive)". Hollywoodreporter.com.
- Magic Online (September 29, 2020). "Secret Lair X The Walking Dead cards will *definitely* be available on MTGO.". Twitter.
- Mark Rosewater (October 3, 2020). "So the TWD cards use Walker as a stand-in for “2/2 [color?] Zombie creature token”?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- FYI: The Comprehensive Rules will have a reference to The Walking Dead. Reddit (October, 2020).
- MTGG Secret Lair (September 28, 2020). "On October 4, the universes of Magic: The Gathering and AMC's The Walking Dead will collide in a one-of-a-kind Secret Lair crossover!". Twitter.
- Magic: The Gathering Is The Walking Dead (Video). Tolarian Community College. YouTube (September 30, 2020).
- Kendra Smith (September 30, 2020). "The Problem with The Walking Dead Secret Lair". Coolstuffinc.com.
- SaffronOlive (October 2, 2020). "If You Are Not Happy with the State of Magic, Stop Giving Wizards Your Money". Mtggoldfish.com.
- Mark Rosewater (September 28, 2020). "This secret lair is a very very dangerous slope to go down.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 28, 2020). "I’ve been getting a lot of feedback today.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (September 28, 2020). "While the Secret Lair is the one chance to get the Walking Dead versions of these cards, we have the ability to print the Magic versions of these cards in future products.". Twitter.
- MTG Secret Lair (September 28, 2020). "We could imagine reprinting these same cards with new art, or mechanically-similar versions of these cards with different names and creative treatments.". Twitter.
- Weekly MTG - Secret Lair: The Walking Dead (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube (October 2, 2020).
- Mark Rosewater (October 1, 2020). "Some Answers". Blogatog. Tumblr.