Scheme is a card type introduced in Archenemy and represents the long-reaching machinations of a powerful planeswalker. Some schemes have the supertype ongoing that remain in play until a particular condition is met that requires the archenemy to abandon it. The schemes have been given the flavor (name and flavor text) of over-the-top villainy.
Like planes, scheme cards are the size of two regular Magic cards side by side.
From the Comprehensive Rules (Ravnica Allegiance (January 25, 2019))
- 312. Schemes
- 312.1. Scheme is a card type seen only on nontraditional Magic cards. Only the Archenemy casual variant uses scheme cards. See rule 904, "Archenemy."
- 312.2. Scheme cards remain in the command zone throughout the game, both while they're part of a scheme deck and while they're face up. They're not permanents. They can't be cast. If a scheme card would leave the command zone, it remains in the command zone.
- 312.3. Scheme cards have no subtypes.
- 312.4. A scheme card may have any number of static, triggered, and/or activated abilities. As long as a scheme card is face up in the command zone, its static abilities affect the game, its triggered abilities may trigger, and its activated abilities may be activated.
- 312.5. The owner of a scheme card is the player who started the game with it in the command zone. The controller of a face-up scheme card is its owner.
- 312.6. If a non-ongoing scheme card is face up in the command zone, and no triggered abilities of any scheme are on the stack or waiting to be put on the stack, that scheme card is turned face down and put on the bottom of its owner's scheme deck the next time a player would receive priority. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)
- 312.7. If an ability of a scheme card includes the text "this scheme," it means the scheme card in the command zone that's the source of that ability. This is an exception to rule 109.2.
From the glossary of the Comprehensive Rules (Ravnica Allegiance (January 25, 2019))
- A card type seen only on nontraditional Magic cards in the Archenemy casual variant. A scheme card is not a permanent. See rule 312, "Schemes."