Description[edit | edit source]
Though capable of reproducing by spontaneous generation, they are usually created by thallids or treefolk. "Saproling" seems to be a generic term for small plant/fungus creatures rather than a specific species.
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Sarpadia[edit | edit source]
The first known saprolings on Dominaria were native to Sarpadia. They shared a symbiotic relationship with the thallids and spread rapidly by feeding off of the dead resulting from the thallid rebellion against the elves.
Yavimaya[edit | edit source]
The saprolings of Yavimaya shared ties with the treefolk of the forest. They proved remarkably effective against undead during the Phyrexian Invasion, as they would drop out of the trees and burst open, spreading rotting agents over the Phyrexian zombies that would cause them to rapidly decay. As Yavimaya had been heavily involved in preparation for the invasion, it may be that their saprolings were specifically bred for that purpose.
Rift Era[edit | edit source]
After decades of Dominarian desolation, the saprolings of Dominaria were different than those previously described. They were creatures made of thick kudzu vines, moss, algae and fungi.
Ixalan[edit | edit source]
Saprolings mainly exist in the jungles of Ixalan, where they are tended by dryads and sometimes even develop on dinosaurs. Unlike many Saprolings, they resemble flowers that move about in a manner similar to insects.
Alara[edit | edit source]
Saprolings are also present on Jund, one of the shards of Alara. They are created of plant matter, usually fungal, and have a strong connection with rotting corpses. They have a much different appearance than the other planes' saprolings, almost appearing shelled.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Saprolings exist in the urban environments of Ravnica as well. They are much more plant-like than the fungal Dominarian saprolings, resembling crystals enveloped in floral tendrils. They are particulary common in the Selesnya Conclave, where they bond with the guild's root-kin elementals. The Golgari Swarm's saprolings are made of the bond between plants and rotting flesh that the guild seems to exemplify. However, they also are featured to a very minor extent in the other two partly-green guilds.
Tokens[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (April 28, 2018). "What exactly are saprolings?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (April 29, 2018). "What made saprolings go from weird snakevines to cute and cuddly mushroom things?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (August 18, 2017). "Could we ever have a Saproling that is an actual creature card?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Doug Beyer (December 24, 2008). "How to Design a Hellion and More!". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (August 17, 2005). "Ninth Edition Saproling Token Art". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 11, 2006). "Time Spiral Token Art #1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (September 28, 2005). "Ravnica Style Guide: Saprolings". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana (December 13, 2005). "Doubling Viashino". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.