Revised Edition (keyword)
|Reminder Text||No official reminder text|
Description[edit | edit source]
Sacrificing or saccing is purposely or forcefully removing a permanent from play. This can be due to an effect on the card itself, the effect of another permanent already in play, coming into or leaving play or a spell such as an instant or sorcery. A sacrificed permanent cannot be regenerated. Even though the card Sacrifice was in Alpha, the keyword action of sacrifice didn't show up until Revised Edition.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- 701.16. Sacrifice
- 701.16a To sacrifice a permanent, its controller moves it from the battlefield directly to its owner’s graveyard. A player can’t sacrifice something that isn’t a permanent, or something that’s a permanent they don’t control. Sacrificing a permanent doesn’t destroy it, so regeneration or other effects that replace destruction can’t affect this action.
- To move a permanent you control to its owner’s graveyard. See rule 701.16, “Sacrifice.”
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Goblin
, Sacrifice a Goblin: Arms Dealer deals 4 damage to target creature.
Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
Sacrifice an artifact: Add .
Forced sacrifice[edit | edit source]
- Sacrifice a creature (target/each player sacrifices a creature) is primary in black.
- Sacrifice an artifact (target/each player sacrifices an artifact) is primary in red.
- Sacrifice a permanent (target/each player sacrifices a permanent) is also primary in red.