The Roil is a periodic volatility of the earth and climate, resulting from Zendikar's unique brand of mana. The Roil changes the land and is the reason why the plane remains untamed and deadly. Because it is magical in nature, the Roil affects biology as well as geology and metereology.
Origins[edit | edit source]
The Roil was originated by the plane itself as a defense system against the Eldrazi when these creatures first walked the plane.
Effects[edit | edit source]
The effects of the Roil include:
- Rock crags. Large boulders and shards of rock erupting from the earth
- Extreme weather like dust storms and tornadoes.
- Floods and tidal waves.
- Noxious gas geysers.
- Meteoric growth ("Life Blooms").
- Tectonic shifts and earthquakes.
Occasionally the Roil animates as elementals.
Living with the Roil[edit | edit source]
For those born on Zendikar, the Roil is a natural phenomenon—just the way things are. To planeswalkers, it's obvious that this volatility is what keeps Zendikar dangerous, untamed, and without well-developed civilizations. Lullmages and roilmages are elementalists who are able to influence the effects of the roil. When the Eldrazi returned, the mages led by Noyan Dar used the Roil as a weapon.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Referred to in:
- Cosi's Trickster
- Crop Rotation (Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis)
- Cyclone Sire
- Grip of the Roil
- Into The Roil
- Leatherback Baloth
- Nimbus Wings
- Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper
- Primal Bellow
- Roil Elemental
- Roil Spout
- Roiling Waters
- Roilmage's Trick
- Roil's Retribution
- Stormchaser Mage
- Sweep Away
- Terra Stomper
- Tranquil Expanse
- Volcanic Upheaval
- Zendikar's Roil
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 12, 2009.) "Deadly Perils, Priceless Treasures", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (March 29, 2010.) "The Eldrazi Arisen", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.