As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
Description[edit | edit source]
The Roil changes the land and is the reason why the plane remains untamed and deadly. Because it is magical in nature, the Roil affects biology as well as geology and meteorology.
Effects[edit | edit source]
The effects of the Roil include:
- Rock crags. Large boulders and shards of rock erupting from the earth
- Extreme weather like dust storms and tornadoes.
- Floods and tidal waves.
- Noxious gas geysers.
- Meteoric growth ("Life Blooms").
- Tectonic shifts and earthquakes.
History[edit | edit source]
The Roil was originated by the plane itself as a defense system against the Eldrazi when these creatures first walked the plane. For those born on Zendikar, the Roil seemed a natural phenomenon — just the way things were. To planeswalkers, it was obvious that this volatility was what keeps Zendikar dangerous, untamed, and without well-developed civilizations.
During the Rise of the Eldrazi, the Roil intensified, and it soon became clear that the Roil was Zendikar's own effort to purify itself of corruption. In their fight against the Eldrazi, the elementalists led by Noyan Dar used the Roil as a weapon.
Like an inflammation that persists after the infection is gone, the Roil remains active even after the destruction of the Eldrazi, and it remains one of the greatest hazards to adventurers who brave the wilds of Zendikar. Directly after the defeat of the Eldrazi, it seemed to gone. But then it slowly began to return.
In-game references[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Ken Troop (October 21, 2015). "Shaping an Army". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ari Zirulnik and James Wyatt (September 1, 2020). "Zendikar: Things Have Changed". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Flavor text for Into the Roil (Zendikar Rising)
- Miguel Lopez (September 10, 2020). "The Magosi Steps". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- Deadly Perils, Priceless Treasures. magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast (August 12, 2009).
- Doug Beyer (March 29, 2010). "The Eldrazi Arisen". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.