In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
|Last Used||Ravnica Allegiance|
|Reminder Text||Riot (This creature enters the battlefield with your choice of a +1/+1 counter or haste.)|
36.4% 27.3% 36.4%
Riot is a keyword ability, which allows you to choose between gaining a +1/+1 counter or haste when a creature enters the battlefield. It was introduced in Ravnica Allegiance for the Gruul Clans of Ravnica.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that lets a player choose whether certain creatures enter the battlefield with haste or with a +1/+1 counter. See rule 702.135, “Riot.”
- 702.135. Riot
- 702.135a Riot is a static ability. “Riot” means “You may have this permanent enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. If you don’t, it gains haste.”
- 702.135b If a permanent has multiple instances of riot, each works separately.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Riot is a replacement effect. Players can't respond to your choice of +1/+1 counter or haste, and they can't take actions while the creature is on the battlefield without one or the other.
- If a creature entering the battlefield has riot but can't have a +1/+1 counter put onto it, it gains haste.
- If you choose for the creature to gain haste, it gains haste indefinitely. It won't lose it as the turn ends or as another player gains control of it.
- If a creature enters the battlefield with two instances of riot, you may choose to have it get two +1/+1 counters, one +1/+1 counter and haste, or two instances of haste. Multiple instances of haste on the same creature are redundant, but it allows Gruul to send a strong message to its opponents.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Ogre Warrior
Riot (This creature enters the battlefield with your choice of a +1/+1 counter or haste.)
As long as it’s your turn, you and Gruul Spellbreaker have hexproof.
Cards that grant riot[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak (December 17, 2018). "Ravnica Allegiance Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey (January 3, 2019). "Starting a Riot". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 7, 2019). "Building Allegiances, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.