|Last Used||Ravnica Allegiance|
|Reminder Text||Riot (This creature enters the battlefield with your choice of a +1/+1 counter or haste.)|
11 cards |
36% 36% 27%
Riot is a keyword ability, which allows you to choose between gaining a +1/+1 counter or haste when a creature enters the battlefield. It was introduced in Ravnica Allegiance for the Gruul Clans of Ravnica.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Riot is a replacement effect. Players can't respond to your choice of +1/+1 counter or haste, and they can't take actions while the creature is on the battlefield without one or the other.
- If a creature entering the battlefield has riot but can't have a +1/+1 counter put onto it, it gains haste.
- If you choose for the creature to gain haste, it gains haste indefinitely. It won't lose it as the turn ends or as another player gains control of it.
- If a creature enters the battlefield with two instances of riot, you may choose to have it get two +1/+1 counters, one +1/+1 counter and haste, or two instances of haste. Multiple instances of haste on the same creature are redundant, but it allows Gruul to send a strong message to its opponents.
Example[edit | edit source]
Cards that grant riot[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Matt Tabak. (December 17, 2018.) "Ravnica Allegiance Mechanics", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gavin Verhey. (January 3, 2019.) "Starting a Riot", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 7, 2019.) "Building Allegiances, Part 2", magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.