Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Last Used||Modern Horizons|
|Reminder Text||Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card as an additional cost to cast it.)|
7.7% 15.4% 15.4% 15.4% 15.4% 7.7% 7.7% 7.7% 7.7%
History[edit | edit source]
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that lets a player cast a card from their graveyard. See rule 702.80, “Retrace.”
- 702.80. Retrace
- 702.80a Retrace appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents a static ability that functions while the card with retrace is in a player’s graveyard. “Retrace” means “You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card as an additional cost to cast it.” Casting a spell using its retrace ability follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Casting a card by using its retrace ability works just like casting any other card, with two exceptions: You're casting the card from your graveyard rather than your hand, and you must discard a land card in addition to any other costs.
- A retrace card cast from your graveyard follows the normal timing rules for its card type.
- To cast a retrace card from your graveyard, you must pay its mana cost as well as discard a land card.
- When a retrace card you cast from your graveyard resolves or is countered, it's put back into your graveyard. You may use the retrace ability to cast it again.
- If the active player casts a spell that has retrace, that player may cast that card again after it resolves, before another player can remove the card from the graveyard. The active player has priority after the spell resolves, so they can immediately cast a new spell. Since casting a card with retrace from the graveyard moves that card onto the stack, no one else would have the chance to affect it while it's still in the graveyard.
Example[edit | edit source]
Flame Jab deals 1 damage to any target.
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)