In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Static (1st ability)|
Triggered (2nd ability)
|Last Used||Modern Horizons|
|Reminder Text||Replicate [cost] (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)|
54.5% 27.3% 18.2%
Description[edit | edit source]
Replicate works by putting copies of a given instant or sorcery onto the stack for each time you pay the Replicate cost. Until Modern Horizons, each card printed with Replicate had a Replicate cost equal to its mana cost.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that creates copies of a spell. See rule 702.55, “Replicate.”
- 702.55. Replicate
- 702.55a Replicate is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the spell with replicate is on the stack. The second is a triggered ability that functions while the spell with replicate is on the stack. “Replicate [cost]” means “As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay [cost] any number of times” and “When you cast this spell, if a replicate cost was paid for it, copy it for each time its replicate cost was paid. If the spell has any targets, you may choose new targets for any of the copies.” Paying a spell’s replicate cost follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2f–h.
- 702.55b If a spell has multiple instances of replicate, each is paid separately and triggers based on the payments made for it, not any other instance of replicate.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- Copies created with replicate will have replicate abilities themselves. However, since those copies aren't casted, their replicate costs can't be paid and their replicate abilities won't trigger.
- Each copy is separate. If one of them is countered (including the actual spell card), the rest remain on the stack.
- If the replicate trigger is countered (by the Scourge spell Stifle, for example), no replicate copies will be created. The original spell will be unaffected.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Replicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid its replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
Destroy target artifact.
Stream of Thought
Target player puts the top four cards of their library into their graveyard. You shuffle up to four cards from your graveyard into your library.
Replicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each time you paid the replicate cost. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
Creature that grants Replicate[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (May 2, 2016). "Storm Scale: Ravnica and Return to Ravnica". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Aaron Forsythe (March 3, 2006). "Yes It Iz". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak (May 31, 2019). "Modern Horizons Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.