Rebel is a creature class present on creature and tribal cards. Debuting in Mercadian Masques, the creature type was heavily featured as part of the Masques block  and later reappeared in the Time Spiral block. All Rebels are white or black permanents, except for Skyshroud Poacher (which is green).
Description[edit | edit source]
Rebels are individuals or groups of individuals that resist an authority, including by use of violence. More often than not, they are motivated by their dedication to a cause and their devotion to fellow rebels. Some rebels may fight against oppression or, more fundamentally, for survival. Others, however, may be idealists who crusade for a noble and righteous cause, while others may yet be underhanded troublemakers striving to undermine legitimate authorities.
Mechanic[edit | edit source]
Like many creatures of the Mercenary creature type, most Rebels have the ability to "recruit" other Rebels (i.e., allowing a player to search his or her library and putting a Rebel card from it into play). Due to their infectious enthusiasm, Rebels can recruit creatures more powerful (that is, with a higher casting cost) than they are.
Unlikely to return[edit | edit source]
Notable Rebels[edit | edit source]
Notable Rebel organizations[edit | edit source]
Tribal - Rebel[edit | edit source]
- Bound in Silence is a Tribal - Rebel card from Future Sight which can be fetched by any card that searches for Rebels.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Frontline Rebel and Vengeful Rebel don't have the subtype Rebel. (See the note above about the lack of rebels in Aether Revolt.)
References[edit | edit source]
- Mercadian Masques FAQ
- Mark Rosewater. (January 06, 2017.) "Why the rebel creature type wasn't used for Aether Revolt.", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 28, 2017.) "Is Rebel no longer a supported creature type?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (August 21, 2018.) "Rebels are cool. Could they come back in green?", Blogatog, Tumblr.