Future Sight (keyword)
|Reminder Text||Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)|
History[edit | edit source]
For design reasons, Mark Rosewater convinced R&D that they needed to keyword more abilities and then put them in a secondary color. The Rules Manager suggested adding Reach because it would greatly shrink the reminder text for flying.
Reach was first keyworded in Future Sight and was introduced into core sets with Tenth Edition. Reach is primary in green. Lately, it also is appearing in red. Reach is tertiary in white, mostly on archers.
Rules[edit | edit source]
- A keyword ability that allows a creature to block an attacking creature with flying. See rule 702.17, “Reach.” See also Flying.
- 702.17. Reach
- 702.17a Reach is a static ability.
- 702.17b A creature with flying can’t be blocked except by creatures with flying and/or reach. (See rule 509, “Declare Blockers Step,” and rule 702.9, “Flying.”)
- 702.17c Multiple instances of reach on the same creature are redundant.
Rulings[edit | edit source]
- All cards that have or grant the Giant Spider ability will be receiving errata to change that ability to reach.
- The interaction between creatures with flying and creatures such as Giant Spider will not change.
- Some card interactions are changing:
- Creatures with reach (and without flying) won't be able to block creatures that say they "can't be blocked except by creatures with flying," simply because those creatures don't actually have flying (and will no longer act as though they do). Cards affected by this change are Elven Riders, Silhana Ledgewalker, Treetop Bracers, Treetop Rangers, and Treetop Scout.
- Creatures with reach (and without flying) will be able to block creatures that say they "can't be blocked by creatures with flying," for the same reason. Cards affected by this change are Dust Corona, Gnat Alley Creeper, Greater Stone Spirit, and Stone Spirit.
- Talruum Piper, which says "All creatures with flying able to block Talruum Piper do so," will not force creatures with reach to block it.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Creature — Spider
Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
Enchantments that grant just Reach[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The only colorless identity creature printed with Reach is Consulate Skygate.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (September 21, 2019). "I was wondering if I could get any spicy trivia about the mechanic Reach.". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (June 8, 2015). "Evergreen Eggs & Ham". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 05, 2015). "How do you feel about the red Giant in orgins having reach?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 03, 2015). "Does red have reach now?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (January 27, 2016). "Can we expect red to get more tools in the future?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (April 14, 2017). "Is Reach in Red's pie now?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (June 5, 2017). "Mechanical Color Pie 2017". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
[edit | edit source]
- A Planeswalker's Primer for Magic 2010: Flying (Video). Magic: The Gathering. YouTube.