|Symbol description||The Guilds of Ravnica symbol upside down, suggesting the horns of Nicol Bolas in negative space.|
Mark Rosewater (lead)|
Sam Stoddard (lead)|
Peter Lee 
|Art direction||Cynthia Sheppard|
|Release date||January 25, 2019|
|Keywords/ability words||Adapt, Addendum, Afterlife, Riot, Spectacle|
(111 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, 15 mythic rares)
+5 Basic lands
+8 Planeswalker deck exclusives
+1 Buy-a-Box promo
|Core Set 2020 Standard|
|Magic: The Gathering Chronology|
Ravnica Allegiance is the 80th Magic expansion. It was released on January 25, 2019. Officially, it is not part of a block. However, it is part of a series of three that is set on the same world, unofficially called the Guilds of Ravnica block.
- 1 Set details
- 2 Themes and mechanics
- 3 Cycles
- 4 Reprinted cards
- 5 Card comparisons
- 6 Preconstructed decks
- 7 Notable cards
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Ravnica Allegiance contains 259 cards (111 commons, 80 uncommons, 53 rares, and 15 mythic rares), but there are only 254 functionally different cards since all gates have 2 common slots. Boosters may include randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. This set features five of the bi-colored Ravnican guilds: Azorius (), Rakdos (), Gruul (), Simic (), and Orzhov (). Watermarks are used to better identify the guilds.
The 5 basic lands of this set are not included within the 259 cards, meaning that they won't appear in booster packs but only in the planeswalker decks and the Bundle, and are numbered from #260/259 to #264/259. Neither contained in boosters are the 8 additional planeswalker deck exclusive cards - numbered #265/259 to #272/259 - and the Buy-a-Box promo, which has the number #273/259. Like in the previous set, each Guildgate is featured in two common slots, each with different art.
|“||Defend Your Guild||”|
This is the penultimate moment of the Gatewatch's fight against Nicol Bolas. Darkness is coming to Ravnica. A conflict that could tear apart the world itself looms large, and the fragile peace between the guilds is strained to its breaking point. Now, with everything on the line, it's time to step up, prove your loyalty, and fight for your guild.
|The Illusions of Child's Play||Nicky Drayden||2019-01-23||Ravnica||Cult of Rakdos|
|Rage of the Unsung||Nicky Drayden||2019-01-30||Ravnica||Gruul Clans|
|The Principles of Unnatural Selection||Nicky Drayden||2019-02-06||Ravnica||Simic Combine|
|The Ledger of Hidden Fortunes||Nicky Drayden||2019-02-20||Ravnica||Orzhov Syndicate|
|The Ascension of Reza||Nicky Drayden||2019-02-27||Ravnica||Azorius Senate|
Ravnica Allegiance is sold in regular 16-card boosters (one card being a marketing card), two planeswalker decks, the Ravnica Allegiance bundle and a Deck Builder's Toolkit. As in the previous set, 35-card bi-colored Theme Boosters are connected to the appropriate guilds, containing one or two rares/mythic rares. The set is further accompanied by five guild kits, preconstructed theme decks that combine cards from every Ravnica set released so far.
The Planeswalker Decks of the set contain a code that redeems for that Planeswalker Deck in MTG Arena. In addition, a (non-unique) code was offered to everyone that redeemed for three in-game Ravnica Allegiance packs.
- 2 foils of any rarity
- 3 rares/mythic rares
- 10 uncommons.
This was a very limited experimental test run. Collector Boosters were only available in Japan and North America, and even then, they weren't widely available.
- Prerelease takes place on January 19, 2019.
- Local stores will be hosting Ravnica Weekend on February 16–17, 2019. Players can come in and play Standard, Draft, or Sealed (decided by the LGS), casual Guild Kit battles, and adventures from the D&D Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica.
- Magic Open House: full-art Rakdos Firewheeler 
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare belonging to the chosen guild.
- Draft Weekend Launch promo: Simic Ascendancy
- Magic League: Gate Colossus
- Buy-a-Box: The Haunt of Hightower
- FNM promos: Growth Spiral, Mortify, and Light Up the Stage
- Ravnica Weekend: full-art Lavinia, Azorius Renegade and one of ten special guild-affiliated premium foil promo basic lands. These are numbered B01/10 to B10/10.
- Non-foil versions of these basic lands appear in the Guild Kits, where they are numbered as part of the deck.
Tokens / Emblem
- 1/1 Human creature for Hero of Precinct One and Watchful Giant
- 0/2 Illusion creature with "Whenever this creature blocks a creature, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step." for Mesmerizing Benthid
- 2/2 Zombie creature for Awaken the Erstwhile and Captive Audience
- 1/1 Goblin creature for Goblin Gathering
- 3/3 Centaur creature for Rampage of the Clans
- 3/3 Frog Lizard creature for Incongruity
- 2/2 Ooze creature for Biogenic Ooze
- 4/4 Beast creature with trample for Domri, Chaos Bringer and Threat
- 4/4 Sphinx creature with flying and vigilance for Warden
- 1/1 Spirit creature with flying for Ethereal Absolution, Knight of the Last Breath and all creatures with afterlife
- 1/1 Thopter artifact creature with flying for Dovin, Grand Arbiter and Deploy
- Treasure artifact with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color." for Smothering Tithe
- Emblem for Domri, Chaos Bringer
Themes and mechanics
|Crest||Guild||Colors||Keyword or ability word|
|If you cast a spell during your main phase,... it has an additional or alternative effect.|
|Cult of Rakdos||Spectacle|
|You may cast this spell for its spectacle cost rather than its mana cost if an opponent lost life this turn.|
|This creature enters the battlefield with your choice of a +1/+1 counter or haste.|
|Orzhov Syndicate||Afterlife N|
|When this creature dies, create N 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token(s) with flying.|
|Simic Combine||Adapt N|
|If this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it, put N +1/+1 counter(s) on it.|
Ravnica Allegiance has twelve cycles, two of which are reprints.
|Guild leaders||Dovin, Grand Arbiter||Rakdos, the Showstopper||Domri, Chaos Bringer||Kaya, Orzhov Usurper||Prime Speaker Vannifar|
|Five mythic rare legendary multicolor creatures or planeswalkers, each of whom are aligned with a guild and is their leader. Guilds aligned with Nicol Bolas have planeswalkers as their leaders: guilds aligned against, creatures.|
|Guild champions||Lavinia, Azorius Renegade||Judith, the Scourge Diva||Nikya of the Old Ways||Teysa Karlov||Zegana, Utopian Speaker|
|Five rare legendary multicolor creatures, each of whom are aligned with a guild and are a significant figure in the guild.|
|Guildmages||Senate Guildmage||Cult Guildmage||Clan Guildmage||Syndicate Guildmage||Combine Guildmage|
|Five uncommon multicolor creatures, each of whom are aligned with a guild and have two activated abilities, each ability costing at least one mana of that guild's colors and tapping to activate. They are named after the full title of their respective guilds.|
|MMNN creatures||Sphinx of New Prahv||Rakdos Firewheeler||Sunder Shaman||Basilica Bell-Haunt||Frilled Mystic|
|Five powerful uncommon multicolored creatures, each of which cost four mana, two of each of their respective guild's colors.|
|Mechanical commons||Sphinx's Insight||Rafter Demon||Frenzied Arynx||Imperious Oligarch||Aeromunculus|
|Five common multicolor spells which demonstrate the guild mechanic.|
|Activated creatures||Senate Courier||Rakdos Trumpeter||Gravel-Hide Goblin||Twilight Panther||Steeple Creeper|
|Five common monocolored creatures with an activated ability of the other guild color.|
|Hybrid creatures||Senate Griffin||Footlight Fiend||Rubble Slinger||Vizkopa Vampire||Scuttlegator|
|Five common creatures which have only hybrid mana and generic mana in their casting cost.|
|Uncommon split cards||Depose // Deploy||Carnival // Carnage||Collision // Colossus||Consecrate // Consume||Incubation // Incongruity|
|Five uncommon split cards, one side of which uses hybrid mana in guild colors and the other side is multicolor.|
|Rare split cards||Warrant // Warden||Bedeck // Bedazzle||Thrash // Threat||Revival // Revenge||Repudiate // Replicate|
|Five rare split cards, following the same formula as above. The hybrid side depicts the guild champion, and the multicolored side depicts its leader.|
|Lockets||Azorius Locket||Rakdos Locket||Gruul Locket||Orzhov Locket||Simic Locket|
|Five common mana stones for . Each of which tap for either color mana of its corresponding guild, and can be sacrificed by tapping and paying four hybrid mana of the same colors to draw two cards.|
|Guildgates||Azorius Guildgate||Rakdos Guildgate||Gruul Guildgate||Orzhov Guildgate||Simic Guildgate|
|Five common dual lands in guild colors, originally printed in the Return to Ravnica block. Each has the Gate subtype and enters the battlefield tapped. Each is printed twice in the set, with two different sets of art and flavor text. The first shows the guild's "main gate" and has flavor referring to its leader, whereas the second shows a "back door" and has flavor referencing to its lieutenant.|
|Shock lands||Hallowed Fountain||Blood Crypt||Stomping Ground||Godless Shrine||Breeding Pool|
|Five rare dual lands in guild colors, originally printed in the Ravnica: City of Guilds block. Each has the respective basic land types, and enters the battlefield tapped unless its controller pays 2 life.|
Ravnica Allegiance has one mirrored pair.
|Spirit of the Spires
|Common flying creatures that boost the power or toughness of other flying creatures. When both are on the battlefield, both become 3/4.|
- Absorb, first printed in Invasion (first time Modern legal)
- Act of Treason, first printed in Magic 2010, last seen in Core Set 2019
- Concordia Pegasus, first printed in Return to Ravnica
- Gateway Plaza, first printed in Guilds of Ravnica
- Gift of Strength, first printed in Hour of Devastation
- Mammoth Spider, first printed in Dominaria
- Junktroller, first printed in Ravnica: City of Guilds
- Mortify, first printed in Guildpact, last seen in Commander 2018
- Root Snare, first printed in Core Set 2019
- Scrabbling Claws, first printed in Mirrodin, last seen in Commander 2018
- Tower Defense, first printed in Gatecrash
- The guildgates, first seen in Return to Ravnica block
- The shock lands first seen in Ravnica block.
- Axebane Beast is a functional reprint of Rowan Treefolk and Southern Elephant, save for creature types.
- Civic Stalwart is a functional reprint of Inspiring Captain, save for creature types.
- Haazda Officer is a functional reprint of Herald Of The Fair, save for creature types.
- Feral Maaka is a functional reprint of Defiant Khenra and Falkenrath Reaver, save for creature types.
- Grotesque Demise is a functional reprint of Reaver Ambush.
- Prowling Caracal is a functional reprint of Blade of the Sixth Pride and Oreskos Swiftclaw, save for creature types.
Ravnica Allegiance features two planeswalker decks:
|Dovin||W||U||Dovin, Architect of Law|
|Domri||R||G||Domri, City Smasher|
Ravnica Allegiance features five Guild Kits:
|Guild Kit name||Colors included|
- Simic Ascendancy is an alternate-win card.
- Gruul Guildgate (#250) breaks the pattern of displaying a quote from the set's lieutenant. Instead Nikya's flavor text appears on Stomping Ground.
- Angel of Grace is a throwback to Angel's Grace
- Collision // Colossus has half the card being Colossal Might, even with the same word root.
- Electrodominance sees some Modern play in decks trying to abuse 0 CMC suspend spells such as Restore Balance.
- Bring to Trial is a finishing scene to those seen in Collar the Culprit and Citywide Bust from Guilds of Ravnica. All cards are illustrated by Victor Adame Minguez.
Banned and Restricted cards
- Wilderness Reclamation was designed as a new version of Awakening, but adjusted to not scale quite so powerfully with more players. In Standard however, it had a potent combo with Nexus of Fate prior to rotation and Expansion//Explosion afterwards. It was in the last set of bannings in a highly unbalanced Standard season with the release of Throne of Eldraine, being the fifth-most broken engine card of five broken decks in the 2019-2020 season. The ban was largely symbolic, as the banning at August 3rd was six weeks before rotation.
- Growth Spiral was a fairly innocuous common with high upside, being a ramp piece that wouldn't be dead late game. It was banned in the same set as the above, as Ramp still had the best cards in the format - most notably Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, that acted similarly and wanted cheap instants.
- The Ravnica Allegiance set symbol has Bolas's horns in the whitespace. (Reddit)
- Ravnica Allegiance credits
- Product information
- Wizards of the Coast (May 18, 2018). "2018 Spring Announcement Day". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 16, 2019). "Ravnica Allegiance Release Notes". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (May 18, 2018). "Are blocks back soon or do you just not have a word yet?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (May 19, 2018). "Will there be Guild watermarks in upcoming Ravnica sets?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards Play Network
- Mark Rosewater (January 06, 2019). "Who is the jester on the cover of the Rakdos Banner for the LGS's?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Blake Rasmussen (December 17, 2018). "Ravnica Allegiance Promos and Packaging". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (January 10, 2019). "Ravnica Allegiance Prerelease Codes in MTG Arena". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Hipster of the Coast on Twitter
- Gavin Verhey (January 15, 2019). "Ravnica Allegiance Prerelease Primer". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (October 29, 2018). "Introducing Magic Weekend". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen (January 9, 2019). "The Tokens of Ravnica Allegiance". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Token Rarity in RNA (Reddit)
- Matt Tabak (December 17, 2018). "Ravnica Allegiace Mechanics". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Sam Stoddard (January 3, 2019). "Precognitive Perception". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 21, 2019). "More City Talk". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Ravnica Allegiance Trailer
- Ravnica Allegiance Full Spoiler
- Mark Rosewater (January 2, 2019). "Building Allegiances, Part 1". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 7, 2019). "Building Allegiances, Part 2". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (January 28, 2019). "Odds & Ends: Ravnica Allegiance". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (February 4, 2019). "More Odds & Ends: Ravnica Allegiance". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Chris Gleeson (February 15, 2019). "Ravnica Allegiance Art Descriptions". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.