Rats are small, omnivorous rodents belonging to the genus Rattus. These common and prolific creatures can be found in many planes. They are often Plague - and Disease Carriers (Pestilence Rats, Diseased Vermin). The first card to bear the creature type Rat was Plague Rats in Alpha. They often appear in large numbers.
Description[edit | edit source]
- Determining their own power and/or toughness based on the number of rats in play: Swarm of Rats, Plague Rats, Pestilence Rats, Pack Rat, Relentless Rats  ...
- One-shot discard effects, especially as enter-the-battlefield (after the original Ravenous Rats) or death triggers: Drainpipe Vermin, Hellhole Rats, Rotting Rats, Chittering Rats, Sanity Gnawers...
Types of Rats[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
Wharf Rats were found in port cities and other places in Golthonor, like Balthesa. They were responsible for the death of Xarl’s sister Init. Other Rats hide in bogs, sewers or crypts. On Otaria they were known to prey on graves. 
Rath[edit | edit source]
Kamigawa[edit | edit source]
Nezumi[edit | edit source]
Nezumi are a race of anthropomorphic rats native to Kamigawa.   They live in the bogs of the Takenuma swamp and on the outskirts of human cities like Numai, sometimes raiding those cities for supplies or fun. They often have the ninja class. Some Nezumi shamans use incantations to summon and control insects to swarm and distract their enemies. 
Notable Rats[edit | edit source]
- Black-Nose, ninja
- Ink-Eyes, a female ninja, serving the dark forces on Kamigawa. 
- Marrow-Gnawer, a gang leader
- Nighteyes, an infamous necromancer. 
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Dirty Wererat is a Human Rat.
- Rotting Rats and Gutter Skulk are Zombie Rats.
- Gobhobbler Rats, Hellhole Rats and Sanity Gnawers are the only multicolored Rats.
- Swarmyard is a land that regenerates rats.
Tokens[edit | edit source]
|Rat||Black||Creature — Rat||1/1|
|Black||Creature — Rat||1/1||Deathtouch|
named Pack Rat
|Black||Creature — Rat||*/*|| Pack Rat's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Rats you control.
, Discard a card: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Pack Rat.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (June 09, 2004.) “Sketches: Relentless Rats”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (June 13, 2002.) “Rat flavored”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Gwendolyn Kestrel (September 15, 2004). "Security". magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast
- Magic Arcana. (October 25, 2004.) “Nezumi in Art”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (July 05, 2005.) “A Couple of Misers”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar (January 05, 2005), "A Servant’s Mission", magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast
- Magic Arcana. ( May 10, 2005.) “Stir the Grave scene”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.