We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
|Lifetime||Existed prior to the Guildpact|
Rakdos is the demonic parun and guildmaster of the Cult of Rakdos.    He spends most of his time slumbering in a lava pit located in Rix Maadi. He was given responsibility of a guild by the guildpact in an effort to bind him to a greater purpose, or at the very least keep him busy enough that he would be less of a problem for the other guildmasters.
Dissension[edit | edit source]
Izolda, the then acting guildmaster of the cult, raised Rakdos from his pit to wreak havoc on Ravnica. She awakened him with the blood of Myc Zunich, son of the Golgari guildmaster Jarad, and planned on using a concoction of draconic cerebral fluid to take control of her demonic master. Myc's parents intervened, which resulted in Myc gaining control over Rakdos. After a brief rampage, Izolda was able to finish the ritual, and took control over Rakdos herself.
Unbeknownst to her, Momir Vig, who had supplied her with the cerebral fluid, had planned to use Project Kraj to defeat Rakdos and use this victory to convince the inhabitants of Ravnica to give him control of the entire plane. However, Vig was killed by Agrus Kos and Kraj fell later, during the fight. Rakdos suffered extensive damage and Izolda suffered the backlash of the spell. Unfortunately for her, her fellow cult members saw her moment of weakness, and tore her limb from limb to feast on her flesh. With the nature of the spell, Rakdos's mind was split amongst all those who consumed a piece of the blood-witch and he dropped into a coma as a result. Later, the new Boros guildmaster Feather dumped Rakdos' body back into his lava pit, unsure if he would ever rise again.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The design of Rakdos bears some resemblance to Satan, a powerful fallen angel who appeared before humans as their accuser. One of Satan's forms in popular culture is that of a classical red, muscular demon.
- Interestingly, Rakdos having his body thrown into a lava pit resembles the ultimate fate of Satan in the Book of Revelation in which Satan (in the form of a red, multiheaded demon) will be thrown in the lake of fire along with the False Prophet and The Beast.
- Rakdos' armour resembles the signet of the Rakdos guild.
- Rakdos is very similiar to Lord of the Rings Balrog
In-game references[edit | edit source]
Quoted or referred to:
References[edit | edit source]
- Magic Arcana. (August 14, 2006.) “Dissension Style Guide: Rakdos”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (August 15, 2006.) “Sketches: Rakdos 1-2-3s”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (December 12, 2012.) “Rakdos, Then and Now”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.