Purple is the color of the expansion symbol of the timeshifted cards in Time Spiral. Because they appeared in a rarity significantly different from any other rarity, they were assigned their own new rarity level (higher than rare).
Sixth color[edit | edit source]
For Planar Chaos R&D actually playtested purple as a sixth color in the color pie, to convey the alternate reality of the set. A purple version of Mana Drain was planned and the basic land would've been either City or Cave.
In the theoretical case of adding a sixth color, Mark Rosewater nowadays would add it to the center of the color pie, so that it would not specifically be an ally or enemy of any color but rather a totality of all the colors. This way, instead of it trying to carve out its own space in the color pie, he would have it borrow equally from all five colors. His thought is it would be a mix of abilities, almost all things the five colors can do, but mixed and matched in such a way that it could do things that couldn't normally be done in monocolor. This would also allow R&D to make some hybrid cards (probably a cycle) that are purple and another color. Finally, Rosewater would look for a new mechanic that plays in novel space that he would allow only the new color to have access to.
Other uses[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
M21 showcase frame
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater (September 25, 2006). "Purple Reign". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 31, 2019). "f you were to add a 6th color to Magic, what color would it be?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast (July, 2002). "Ask Wizards - July 2002". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 30, 2014). "What color were you thinking of adding in Planar Chaos?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Paul Sottosanti (January 29, 2007). "The Color Purple". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater (July 30, 2014). "Can you tell us anything of what purple would have been able to do?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (July 31, 2014). "What would the basic land for purple be?". Blogatog. Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater (December 9, 2019). "Even More Maro on Mano". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.